World Cup Of Halifax Pubs --- GROUP E   

43 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Your choices.

• Barum Top
    • The Star
    • The Shant
    • Victoria Bar

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/02/2020 at 07:23 AM

14 minutes ago, mj85 said:

Hopefully Barum doesn't win. 

Know there's plenty of 'Spoons Spotters' about, fair play, but I always prefer visiting an independent pub or five in Halifax, or on an away day, to a chain. Whilst all slightly different, you get a Spoons anywhere, whereas a local/independent pub always have their own unique quirks.

P.S- **** TIM MARTIN.

I've gone reyt off the place and long before this virus and Mr Martin's ways.

I've only been the last few times because I was outnumbered when it came to a show of hands. The ale is bad, it's always freezing, it takes ages to get served, the seats aren't comfy. It's more of an ordeal than a relaxing day or night. They don't give a toss about the customer. It's all about profit margins. Especially when they don't put the heating on and a lot of old boys go there on an afternoon to get out and about.  

Shant gets my vote as one of my locals as a youth but always preferred the Ivy House. I loved the fledgling spoons as 20 something living on London in the early 90's but that was before the days roll ups dominating the doorway and steak nights! 

The only one of these I know is the Barum !

I used to use them quite a lot when I was working away, cheap meals and a couple of pints.

4 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

The story continues. 

How many go through to next round is it top two , are you doing it top group A plays second group B like a proper world cup .

Only a suggestion but if any pubs are tied on same votes say 2nd and 3rd you could introduce a penalty shoot out that everyone votes again for their favourite from them 2 pubs involved , not sure how a knock out match could be decided if a draw is the outcome .

17 minutes ago, chadders said:

The Star??? FFS

One of my old gaffers Dave Rhodes was the landlord their many moons ago 

6 minutes ago, monk said:

How many go through to next round is it top two , are you doing it top group A plays second group B like a proper world cup .

Only a suggestion but if any pubs are tied on same votes say 2nd and 3rd you could introduce a penalty shoot out that everyone votes again for their favourite from them 2 pubs involved , not sure how a knock out match could be decided if a draw is the outcome .

Yeah I'm going to take the top 2 though. 

I think I'll do the penalty shootout with a quick poll for 2 hours maybe.  Would probably flip a coin in the knockout stages of its a draw. That's what they did in the old days. Doubt it would come to that, we've enough members on here to sway a vone I reckon. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Guido said:

One of my old gaffers Dave Rhodes was the landlord their many moons ago 

His ex wife has the Flying Pig in Wheatley I think 

15 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

What's her name now?  Decent woman she is and takes no $hit running that place. Act up and you're out of there. Decent boozer with live music. 

2 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

He was a bit of a droll character at times was Dave probably because he was a Bradford City fan :D Couldn't ever imagine him running a boozer.

2 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

What's her name now?  Decent woman she is and takes no $hit running that place. Act up and you're out of there. Decent boozer with live music. 

Still got a big fine apparently for keeping the pub open under the lockdown rules. 

Sacked her staff then begged them all to come back at beginning of the year. 

45 minutes ago, nw3casc1 said:

A few pubs open now....under lockdown...madness

They need naming and shaming and have their licenses removed 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TJAshton said:

Still got a big fine apparently for keeping the pub open under the lockdown rules. 

Sacked her staff then begged them all to come back at beginning of the year. 

Seriously?  I walk past there on an evening andress I've seen no comings or goings. 

45 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Seriously?  I walk past there on an evening andress I've seen no comings or goings. 

It was at the very start of lockdown mate. 

From memory Mick Dillon was the last landlord in The Star, what a character he was. Many a good night in there & many a story to tell ..... or maybe not to tell!

3 hours ago, ColinCanberra said:

I will go for the Shan't, mom and dad lived two doors away but always drank in the Ivy House.

Decent pub when Ken Green was landlord but the beer Garden at The Ivy on a sunny day won hands down.

• Like 1