38 minutes ago, hunsworthhound said:

Why should Barrow go up  most of the teams they have to play are the ones they have already lost to once  they are 4 points in front not 40 

This Is what I hope the league understand when they make any decision..

It's either Barrow or no-one. What do we expect, the Conference to send up the team in 3rd instead? Not wanting Barrow to go up just seems spiteful.

• Like 4

If we work on the ppg scenario then I assume Barrow still come out on the top of the pile. I think you will find that that will be the system the EFL uses to decide their places although I still favour the null and void option.

Edited by Shaymen2008
updated

14 minutes ago, shaykehands said:

So if Barrow go up how is the National league shortfall sorted and the knock on effect down the leagues?

Such things happen in the pyramid every season, with clubs going bust, merging, being demoted for rules breaches, phoenix clubs starting, regional reorganisations, etc. I imagine whatever method the FL ultimately uses to decide on promotions will also be used by the Conference and feeder leagues too.

12 hours ago, shaykehands said:

So if Barrow go up how is the National league shortfall sorted and the knock on effect down the leagues?

A good point but it's Non League so it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

Each League Two club reportedly receives £472,000 per season, regardless of what position they finish in.

The teams also receive a £430,000 ‘solidarity payment’ from the Premier League.

So, re the EFL merger proposals -

If they double the number of teams in the League 2, then where is the extra cash coming from ?

• Like 1

Can anyone explain the latest to me, 'cos I'm now completely confused:

League Two clubs are moving towards ending the 2019-20 season on a points-per-game basis, with three clubs promoted, play-offs still taking place, and no relegation to the National League.

And the Telegraph has claimed that England's third tier is now likely to follow suit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rdj said:

Each League Two club reportedly receives £472,000 per season, regardless of what position they finish in.

If they double the number of teams in the League 2, then where is the extra cash coming from ?

and here endeth the debate, football clubs are so money driven that they would accept the status quo even if each club had to offer up 25 of the club employee's mothers for ritual sacrifice on live TV as part of the "new deal". The beautiful game is riven and blighted  by avarice but that's just the way it is, some things will never change OMG song for tomorrow NOT

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rdj said:

They could something novel such as reducing/removing parachute payments, or redistribute the £125 million in "solidarity payments". 

But I think some EFL league 2 chairmen  are beginning to see the TV money can easily disappear. Also sponsorships  are going to be a lot harder to get, common sense says they need a new financial model although when has the EFL ever had common sense.

1 hour ago, hunsworthhound said:

But I think some EFL league 2 chairmen  are beginning to see the TV money can easily disappear. Also sponsorships  are going to be a lot harder to get, common sense says they need a new financial model although when has the EFL ever had common sense.

Correct. I think that is why the idea of regional leagues is getting some traction.

14 hours ago, kit said:

Can anyone explain the latest to me, 'cos I'm now completely confused:

League Two clubs are moving towards ending the 2019-20 season on a points-per-game basis, with three clubs promoted, play-offs still taking place, and no relegation to the National League.

And the Telegraph has claimed that England's third tier is now likely to follow suit.

Don’t know how they can justify having promotion but no relegation. It’s either both or neither, IMO. 

• Like 1

Not sure if mentioned elsewhere, but just read that Bradford and Grimsby were two of the clubs who were FOR relegation from league two, saying the competition loses it's integrity if their league has promotion and no relegation.

Hypothetically if the Football League were to refuse promotion, could some clubs in our league mount a legal challenge on the grounds that money was spent this year trying to get promoted?

It also begs the question in if both Yeovil and Notts County can be deemed to have been given an unfair advantage in being given parachute payments - or even if both could claim for an extra years worth of payments on the basis that this season was null and void. 

If the EFL were to refuse to accept two teams as agreed at the start of the season, surely the clubs in this league who recruited players in good faith have some sort of recompense, as the belief was that the best team plus one of the next 6 via a playoff system, would be given access to the league at the end of it. 

With that said, I still think it is hugely unfair that teams lower down the pyramid have seen their seasons scrapped with no relegation and promotion, even more so when at least one of them had already mathematically won promotion, yet we have talks of giving Barrow promotion for being 4 points clear. There has to be consistency. Even if we were told to play a playoff and were to get promoted from them, I would still say it would be unfair on those teams denied promotion. 

What has always made football as a sport so appealing is the idea that the best can rise to the top and that the rules are fair and consistent for every team, be you Man Utd, Accrington, Halifax Town, or AFC Halifax. Scrapping some leagues, letting others continue to completion, and then using PPG or other criteria to end others, whilst relegating and promoting some teams, with others not being relegated/promoted in other leagues is against everything I feel our league structure stands for. 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Flea said:

Hypothetically if the Football League were to refuse promotion, could some clubs in our league mount a league challenge on the grounds that money was spent this year trying to get promoted?

It also begs the question in if both Yeovil and Notts County can be deemed to have been given an unfair advantage in being given parachute payments - or even if both could claim for an extra years worth of payments on the basis that this season was null and void. 

If the EFL were to refuse to accept two teams as agreed at the start of the season, surely the clubs in this league who recruited players in good faith have some sort of recompense, as the belief was that the best team plus one of the next 6 via a playoff system, would be given access to the league at the end of it. 

With that said, I still think it is hugely unfair that teams lower down the pyramid have seen their seasons scrapped with no relegation and promotion, even more so when at least one of them had already mathematically won promotion, yet we have talks of giving Barrow promotion for being 4 points clear. There has to be consistency. Even if we were told to play a playoff and were to get promoted from them, I would still say it would be unfair on those teams denied promotion. 

What has always made football as a sport so appealing is the idea that the best can rise to the top and that the rules are fair and consistent for every team, be you Man Utd, Accrington, Halifax Town, or AFC Halifax. Scrapping some leagues, letting others continue to completion, and then using PPG or other criteria to end others, whilst relegating and promoting some teams, with others not being relegated/promoted in other leagues is against everything I feel our league structure stands for. 

To me it goes without saying that if you have promotion from a division then you have to have relegation from it.

The only exception, as a one off, would be if we had a merger and then regional split between EFL2 and National League. There would be no need for relegation or promotion, except at the top of EFL2, and that would fit in with the rest of the EFL divisions having both promotion and relegation as normal. (With the exception of EFL1 only relegating 2 clubs and not 3 - as a one off to answer the Bury issue).

I see no reason, again for exceptional circumstances, why we cannot put a hold on promotion from National League North and South, to allow a reset of the majority of the EFL pyramid, as this will ultimately lead to a potentially more secure future for the vast majority of teams.

I have already said this, and fully agree with Rick Parry, that parachute payments should be stopped. If we take the merger of EFL2 with National League and effectively remove the need for these for teams who should have been relegated, plus stop any additional payments to teams who came down last season, then it would save a reasonable amount of money which could then stay in the central fund that is disbursed to clubs on an equal basis. This way no one club gains a financial advantage over the others. If we applied the same logic to teams coming down from EFL1 as well then the savings are greater still. The Spanish League and the Bundesliga do not give any parachute payments and even Serie A only give around 500k euros, so why do we prop up teams who have failed, instead of rewarding them? It is reported that Huddersfield gained over £42m in parachute money in their first season in the Championship - whichever way you look at that it is obscene.

• Like 2

I remember scoffing at Rugby League for changing the rules with only a few games left. To me, the EFL (and others) shouldn't be trying to mess with promotion/relegation numbers, they should just be deciding how to determine the final placings.

• Like 2

League One and League Two clubs would have to operate under squad salary caps, according to proposals put forward by the English Football League.

Third-tier sides would be given a £2.5m ceiling for salaries, while the sum would be £1.25m for the fourth tier.

The plan, as reported in the Telegraph newspaper, would also see clubs given automatic points deductions if players are not paid on time.

The EFL hopes to have the cap in place for the 2020-21 season.

Meanwhile, clubs would be given a vote on the introduction of maximum 20-man squads.

If approved, it would mean only 20 senior professionals at each club, with eight homegrown players - those produced from the club's academy system - within that group.

Finances Not something to trouble Mr. B. should we ever reach EFL but home grown players might.

Edited by rdj
sp

This needs to be happening at PL level. Players getting released from them clubs on 10k a week and never playing a first team game!

What a mess....

The report from the BBC website regarding further developments in the EFL highlight the comical situation we now find:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52737200

The EFL clubs seem to be favouring an end to the season now on a PPG basis, but with playoff's and no relegation. Only problem with this is eFL2 have voted to end their season with no relegation but they still want playoff's and promotion. You can't have one without the other.....

Where this one ends I have no idea.:doh:

This is where the FA step in and listen to what they’d like.

They then use their gonads and tell them the Championship will finish as normal, League One and Two will finish the general season on a PPG standing. Those in the play offs will play them, those in automatic are promoted and those in relegation are relegated.

• Like 2

Thought the league had said they won’t block the non relegation of teams where season not played out ! 

See Swindon may be headed into administration, going to take some sorting out all this