10 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

It was more popular than they expected. They were overrun on the day and decided not to do another

Stopped running them a few years ago.  As above, very popular, folk were blocking access routes invoking fighting, massive queues for the loos etc. 

Quite how I ended up in Cornholme after catching bus to Halifax :doh:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Its Garvesend not Ebbsfleet isnt it? 

Northfleet, the ground.  Gravesend the Pub.

3 hours ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

It was more popular than they expected. They were overrun on the day and decided not to do another

aye, sounds like a rightstupid idea!

3 hours ago, shaykehands said:

Stopped running them a few years ago.  As above, very popular, folk were blocking access routes invoking fighting, massive queues for the loos etc. 

Quite how I ended up in Cornholme after catching bus to Halifax :doh:

It was just on a Saturday back in the old days when we stumbled accross it ine Saturday. The year after it was Friday and Saturday and it was heaving. 

5 hours ago, shaykehands said:

If we dont go up, discovered a decent pub/beer festival in Ebbsfleet land last year.  Given that and the short distance to get there from London, shouldnt these be factors on clubs' final positions rather than PPG?  Maidenhead's crap, get shut of them.

The only decent pub I've come across in Maidenhead is the Crauford Arms, co-operatively run. However, it is a hike up the hill and only doable pre-match. Some decent micros in Ebbsfleet and Tap East on Stratford International station. Therefore, on balance, I agree with you, despite being almost set upon at Ebbsfleet last August after our early goal with stewards then trying to throw me out.

JUst had a listen to the most recent video diary from the Fylde Chairman and interestingly he is rounding up clubs to form a "working group" to try to get a majority for a suggested £750k salary cap and squad limited to 20 professional players for next season. If they can get enough clubs onboard then they will try to force a vote on this to overcome the intransigence of team such as Yeovil, Notts County who both have parachute money to spend and Harrogate and Solihull who are forcing salaries up as they have very rich Chairman prepared to throw money about. Surprisingly, after a 2 hour conf call with Brian Barwick he reports that the NL are actually against a salary cap as they would find it too hard to administer and operate. Sounds to me like we have a part-time management setup in charge of a professional league!

• Like 3

All a salary cap would do is force clubs to be creative when rewarding players. Giving phantom jobs to wives, kids, etc. Image rights, personal sponsorship deals, extra payments for helping with media and community work, all those kinds of thing we see in other leagues where caps exist. The clubs that want to spend will continue to do so.

And the parachute payments are necessary - the whole point of them isn't to spend, spend, spend to bounce straight back up, but to help cover the contracts you've already committed to. In theory, they don't give any club in receipt of them an advantage other than the fact that the payments are helping to pay supposedly better quality players who were already contracted, but those 'better quality' players were relegated so perhaps not so much better after all.

Put it this way, if we win promotion, survive a few seasons like last time, and then get relegated, you can bet your arse those parachute payments would be absolutely necessary for Town.

Let's not forget that it always comes down to 11 v 11 on the pitch. Sure, a club could sign 11 Championship quality players, but would they want to drop to the Conference? Doubtful. More likely is that a club will pay Championship-level wages to get 11 reasonably good players. But even that doesn't guarantee anything which was proven last season where some of the biggest-spending clubs were struggling.

There are some limits that the Conference could easily impose which would be difficult to cheat, such as a maximum squad size, minimum % of turnover spent on community projects and/or youth teams, and other such things which technically force the amount available to spend on players down. They could introduce a system where clubs must pay a % of their income to clear legacy debts, and provide proof that clubs are up-to-date with their HMRC liabilities, etc. on pain of points deductions.

3 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

All a salary cap would do is force clubs to be creative when rewarding players. Giving phantom jobs to wives, kids, etc.

I used to know the Commercial Manager at Wigan Warriors and they had a player whose wife was employed in the club shop on a £100k a year salary. Just to get round the salary cap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I used to know the Commercial Manager at Wigan Warriors and they had a player whose wife was employed in the club shop on a £100k a year salary. Just to get round the salary cap.

mabey she was really good at her job?:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

And the parachute payments are necessary - the whole point of them isn't to spend, spend, spend to bounce straight back up, but to help cover the contracts you've already committed to. In theory, they don't give any club in receipt of them an advantage other than the fact that the payments are helping to pay supposedly better quality players who were already contracted, but those 'better quality' players were relegated so perhaps not so much better after all.

Put it this way, if we win promotion, survive a few seasons like last time, and then get relegated, you can bet your arse those parachute payments would be absolutely necessary for Town.

Then it should be incumbent upon clubs to offer contracts they can afford, including promotion and relegation clauses, if necessary, to mitigate any rise or fall in income. Many players at L2 or NL level are signed on one-year contracts, some with options for extension. More importantly, this is also an argument for more equitable distribution of funding throughout the leagues to avoid the boom and bust that has seen so many clubs pushed to the brink, or, indeed, over, since the Football League was hived off to provide profit incentives, enrichment and speculative opportunities via cash cows such as the Premier League and the EFL.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Then it should be incumbent upon clubs to offer contracts they can afford, including promotion and relegation clauses, if necessary, to mitigate any rise or fall in income. Many players at L2 or NL level are signed on one-year contracts, some with options for extension. More importantly, this is also an argument for more equitable distribution of funding throughout the leagues to avoid the boom and bust that has seen so many clubs pushed to the brink, or, indeed, over, since the Football League was hived off to provide profit incentives, enrichment and speculative opportunities via cash cows such as the Premier League and the EFL.

I personally don't think parachute payments are anywhere near as big an issue as people make out.

A L2 club's budget includes all sorts of income that a Conference club's budget doesn't, and it's perfectly reasonable for a L2 club's spending to take account of that, which includes paying higher wages for players. It's all well and good saying that clubs should factor in relegation clauses that either end a contract or reduce its value, but that would hinder a club's attempts to sign good players, and few clubs would willingly accept that unless they're actually expected relegation. Parachute payments are a compromise, and I personally reckon they don't affect a a relegated club's performance as much as some think.

13 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

The only decent pub I've come across in Maidenhead is the Crauford Arms, co-operatively run. However, it is a hike up the hill and only doable pre-match. Some decent micros in Ebbsfleet and Tap East on Stratford International station. Therefore, on balance, I agree with you, despite being almost set upon at Ebbsfleet last August after our early goal with stewards then trying to throw me out.

Hooligan 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Who's got a new thesaurus, then?

18 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

What's another word for thesaurus?

The melon is unique as it’s the only fruit whose letters can be used to spell another fruit - the lemon.

• Like 3

Still waiting on news. Its effecting my work this. Spending more time refreshing sports pages than I am doing any work 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

The melon is unique as it’s the only fruit whose letters can be used to spell another fruit - the lemon.

I dunno if you've deliberately set a trap for pedants, but it can't be unique if there are two of them.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, vinnyweknuts said:

What's another word for thesaurus?

Not sure what it means
State school failed me
Is it a species of dinosaur?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Grayski said:

Not sure what it means
State school failed me
Is it a species of dinosaur?

What do you call a one eyed dinosaur?

15 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

I blame Eddies Mate junior....

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

That’s the joke. It was in Viz.

Is that still going? My brother used to buy it years ago but I must have been too young for the jokes as I never found any of it funny. More of a Topper fan :)

• Like 1

National League North and South play offs in doubt as their leagues dont meet the criteria for elite sport and would need government change of criteria