2 hours ago, chadders said:

Maybe but it would not take huge investment to help the club move forward. But it has to be be for the right reasons and from credible and reputable people as opposed to the Abbot's of this world. For me rather than all out investment in the playing squad we should be looking at owning our training facility in Halifax, establishing an academy to augment the excellent work done by Steve Nicol and his team etc .

Fair play to the bank rolling chairman at FGR and Fylde etc for sticking around this long but the concern is when they do go they will leave the clubs with unsustainable running costs and may want any directors loans repaid. I'm sure that if any of their other business interests needed were such a financial drain they would offload or disolve it. Our current board do not operate the same business mantra and strive for a club financed by self generated monies which is commendable as we all want the infrastructure in place to safeguard the stability and long term future of our club. 

This all stems of course from success in the field which is made more difficult to achieve when other clubs in our league throw money at players that they simply don't have.

I doubt our investment plea was so we could invest in youth or buy a training ground. Whilst i agree these are things we should be looking at, any investment would have been to bridge the gap of current losses and to attract bettter players.

All I'm trying to say is this tag of 'hobby' club is not always the case anymore. The clubs I've mentioned owners seem to be in it for the long haul and have invested heavily in stadiums and facillities within. 

Were quick to slate them because they offer better wages but they are in their own way building for the future. Gary Neville said it was actually cheaper for Salford to go all out for the FL last season rather than hanging around the National league for 2\3 seasons with next to no league sponsorship money. Now they have £1m per season rather than 80k and whilst still heavily funded, Salford now have a better chance of survival if they class of 92 were to disappear.

Edited by greygoose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chadders said:

Maybe but it would not take huge investment to help the club move forward. But it has to be be for the right reasons and from credible and reputable people as opposed to the Abbot's of this world. For me rather than all out investment in the playing squad we should be looking at owning our training facility in Halifax, establishing an academy to augment the excellent work done by Steve Nicol and his team etc .

Fair play to the bank rolling chairman at FGR and Fylde etc for sticking around this long but the concern is when they do go they will leave the clubs with unsustainable running costs and may want any directors loans repaid. I'm sure that if any of their other business interests needed were such a financial drain they would offload or disolve it. Our current board do not operate the same business mantra and strive for a club financed by self generated monies which is commendable as we all want the infrastructure in place to safeguard the stability and long term future of our club. 

This all stems of course from success in the field which is made more difficult to achieve when other clubs in our league throw money at players that they simply don't have.

Chadders, what we really need is a level playing field. At the moment we have owners who can come in and throw money at a club in order to try and buy promotion, at the same time we have clubs who have been relegated from the EFL who have an unfair advantage over most other teams due to the parachute payment system.

Hopefully, Rick Parry can bring the EFL to it's senses and they and the National League agree to at least put a salary cap in place and limit the size of squads. This would then limit the impact a rich owner can bring to bear, as there is only so much he could spend on the playing side of things. If they are in it for the long haul and the good of the local community then they would still invest in building the infrastructure for clubs and having Academy's and Community programs in place to show their commitment. If this was coupled with a withdrawal of the parachute payments then we have a chance.

Football at the moment is a bit like Formula 1, where money buys success, and you can end up with the person named F1 World Champion who is not necessarily the best driver. If all F1 teams had to use the same generic car, then we would find out who really had the best drivers and which teams were the best at getting them round a track in the fastest time.

I have read comments on the forums over the last few weeks about how poor the National League has been this season, but in some ways this is possibly a good sign. Other sports such as the NFL in the States spend billions trying to achieve what they call "parity", in other words any given team can beat any other team on any Sunday throughout the season, this way each game remains competitive until the end of the season. You may end up with a strong team one season who win the Super Bowl, but it is unusual to find teams that repeat the achievement as the next season the worst teams get first pick at the new talent coming out of the College game, so they keep trying to achieve this parity. As it happens they use salary caps and limit the number of players that can be signed onto a squad at any one time. The National League appears to have achieved this without even trying.

Joking aside, what we really want to see is clubs being rewarded for being successful. If you are winning games then you should see more fans through the turnstiles and more income from sponsors who want to be associated with your success. This should be allowed to be translated into investment in players, but only in a sustainable way. So, when we say salary cap what we should mean is a salary threshold. This is one that should limit the amount a club can spend on players wages etc to a fixed percentage of the clubs turnover or profit. This is in turn, whilst rewarding success, would engender a move to creating more sustainable clubs.

No doubt there are holes in the argument put forward but at present we have a PL which is more or less a 4 horse race each season, and clubs that yo-yo between the PL and Championship. There is still room for small clubs such as Burnley and Bournemouth to make it to the promised land, and survive there, and this shows that small town clubs if run prudently and given a fair crack of the whip can have the opportunity to move onwards and upwards should the right combination of factors on and off the field come together. It would be hoped that the FA and EFL do not want to see more clubs going bust or into administration, as this is not a good advert for the sport of football, which at the moment is blessed with a surfeit of financial abundance, which could be distributed in a fairer way to benefit all clubs up and down the pyramid to be stable and to develop. After all if Sky was reliant on only PL teams supporters buying a subscription then they would soon have to look at the cost of the package to them. It is the thousands of fans who support teams in the EFL and National League who probably make up a higher proportion of Sky subscribers, who like football in general so payout to watch it, but we can see from the miserable number of games shown live on Sky for the lower leagues, EFL 2 for instance had only 2 games shown all season, that PL fans would not buy Sky to watch non-PL football, if the boot was on the other foot.

It’s a strange footballing world at the moment, some clubs announcing their retained list, National League not having a clue what to do next. EFL starting there remaining fixtures on 20 June and I see that a Charlton player refusing to play in case he gets injured and it put an end to his signing for a bigger club. When will this season end, and then the great debate when the next season starts.

15 minutes ago, Hxmitch said:

It’s a strange footballing world at the moment, some clubs announcing their retained list, National League not having a clue what to do next. EFL starting there remaining fixtures on 20 June and I see that a Charlton player refusing to play in case he gets injured and it put an end to his signing for a bigger club. When will this season end, and then the great debate when the next season starts.

15 minutes ago, Hxmitch said:

Exactly what I said would happen also nobody bothered to mention in DB's interview he said our player were contracted for 42 week and in the second part of PW interview he said it is an assumption that our players would be available in June. Laughable isn't it Kay shay ra shay ra. & Papa.

21 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Exactly what I said would happen also nobody bothered to mention in DB's interview he said our player were contracted for 42 week and in the second part of PW interview he said it is an assumption that our players would be available in June. Laughable isn't it Kay shay ra shay ra. & Papa.

Oh look at me!!!! 

7 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Oh look at me!!!! 

No your too much off an IDIOT. Your the one always name calling. Think your so ITK.

3 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

No your too much off an IDIOT. Your the one always name calling. Think your so ITK.

Off what idiot? Shouldn't it be of? 

Can't find DB and Pete Wildes interviews, where are they please? 

9 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Off what idiot? Shouldn't it be of? 

Can't find DB and Pete Wildes interviews, where are they please? 

Try looking.

BTW it should be Wild's

If we had a multi millionaire owner willing to chuck stupid money into the pot would we be suggesting financial constraints?

Under normal circumstances we do pay 42 weeks as we pay until the last competitive game of the season. But as Pete Wild said all players are still under contract  until that game happens. 

So it is very possible for us to be a 42 week club and yet also still have players contracted

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

44 weeks

7 minutes ago, ewalsh said:

Under normal circumstances we do pay 42 weeks as we pay until the last competitive game of the season. But as Pete Wild said all players are still under contract  until that game happens. 

So it is very possible for us to be a 42 week club and yet also still have players contracted

Come on we all know Lanzo has contacts at the FA, he knows what Pete Wilde doesn't. 

4 hours ago, ewalsh said:

Correct, we do not have sight of the wording in the players contracts, but I would be prepared to hazard a guess that it is structured in such a way as to take account of the need to include the possibility for play off matches. The club has been caught out once before with having to extend players contracts at short notice, so it is unlikely they would not cover themselves with any future contracts. As no retained list has been announced, one can only assume that they have all been retained, which would be highly unusual, although this "retained list" has to be registered with the National League by the 1st June;

6.7      Club List of Players and Transfer List

Clubs shall furnish the Competition Secretary by 1st June with the following details:

6.7.1     a list of Contract Players whose agreements do not terminate at the end of the current season;

6.7.2     a list of contract Players in respect of whom the Club has exercised its option in accordance with Football Association Rule C1 (j);

6.7.3     a list of Contract Players in respect of whom the existing agreements do not include an option to renew but which the Club is desirous of offering further engagements, in accordance with Football Association Rule C1 (j);

6.74      a list of Contract Players in respect of whom the Club has exercised its option in accordance with Football Association Rule C1 (j) but whose registration the Club is prepared to transfer;

6.7.5     a list of Contract Players the Club has released;

6.7.6     a list of all Players whose registration the Club wishes to be cancelled;

Clubs shall also complete the standard Competition forms and return these by this date.

Edited by ITMAN

10 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Come on we all know Lanzo has contacts at the FA, he knows what Pete Wilde doesn't. 

Wet dreams again bully boy.

Is that why you used tp PM me 3/4 times a day begging for information about 3 years ago until you realised I would no longer give you any., now concentrate on your wife and stop having wet dreams about me.

Edited by Steve Lanzarote

7 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Correct, we do not have sight of the wording in the players contracts, but I would be prepared to hazard a guess that it is structured in such a way as to take account of the need to include the possibility for play off matches. The club has been caught out once before with having to extend players contracts at short notice, so it is unlikely they would not cover themselves with any future contracts. As no retained list has been announced, one can only assume that they have all been retained, which would be highly unusual, although this "retained list" has to be registered with the National League by the 1st June;

6.7      Club List of Players and Transfer List

Clubs shall furnish the Competition Secretary by 1st June with the following details:

6.7.1     a list of Contract Players whose agreements do not terminate at the end of the current season;

6.7.2     a list of contract Players in respect of whom the Club has exercised its option in accordance with Football Association Rule C1 (j);

6.7.3     a list of Contract Players in respect of whom the existing agreements do not include an option to renew but which the Club is desirous of offering further engagements, in accordance with Football Association Rule C1 (j);

6.74      a list of Contract Players in respect of whom the Club has exercised its option in accordance with Football Association Rule C1 (j) but whose registration the Club is prepared to transfer;

6.7.5     a list of Contract Players the Club has released;

6.7.6     a list of all Players whose registration the Club wishes to be cancelled;

Clubs shall also complete the standard Competition forms and return these by this date.

Interesting thought. If the play-offs continue after June 30th when teams who just have players on a 1 year contract they will have specified end date, whereas supposedly ours are contracted until that last game. Could that actually give us an advantage?

14 minutes ago, ewalsh said:

Interesting thought. If the play-offs continue after June 30th when teams who just have players on a 1 year contract they will have specified end date, whereas supposedly ours are contracted until that last game. Could that actually give us an advantage?

Wouldn't have thought so ewalsh as retain list for 20/21 has to be in 01/06 unless we are retaining the full squad which is doubtful even though Pete Wild wants to retain the majority he says.

I would imagine those original dates will be extended to a completed season.

As Pete Wild said, we are actually at a disadvantage being in the play offs. Other clubs can release and tap up new players as we are trying to keep our squad together knowing that some of our players will probably be getting tapped up too.

The gaffer has 2 lists of players to retain depending on which league we are in so it is a very difficult situation.

At the end of the day we are in a very strange situation that no one knows the answer to not even DB or PW until the powers that be grow a pair and make a decision, which hopefully is next Monday, but any club could end up in the position that they have a player playing who they are not going to retain and he could be playing against the team he has agreed to sign for.

4 minutes ago, Ash said:

I would imagine those original dates will be extended to a completed season.

As Pete Wild said, we are actually at a disadvantage being in the play offs. Other clubs can release and tap up new players as we are trying to keep our squad together knowing that some of our players will probably be getting tapped up too.

The gaffer has 2 lists of players to retain depending on which league we are in so it is a very difficult situation.

It's a rediculous situation Ash.

This seems a strange statement from Chorely.

The Magpies have been back in the fifth tier this season for the first time in three decades, and trying to compete with a comparatively minuscule budget. Chorley were bottom of the table, 17 points adrift at the time of the National League season suspension.

In an update from CEO Terry Robinson, he explained: “The club, in common with a lot of other businesses, is currently not able to generate cash. The publicity surrounding the National League’s forwarding of £50,000+ to clubs didn’t apply to Chorley FC.

“We were unfortunately deemed to be in a position in the league that didn’t warrant this payment, with the club only receiving a minimal payment which comes off next season’s payments. This has been followed by the news that the expected payment for May (for the 2019/20 season) from the National League has not been forthcoming.”

3 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Wet dreams again bully boy.

Is that why you used tp PM me 3/4 times a day begging for information about 3 years ago until you realised I would no longer give you any., now concentrate on your wife and stop having wet dreams about me.

I resent that first line and I hope you retract it? As for the PM yes we did have conversations and shared quite a bit of chat, you have these conversations with others to share your precious knowledge. You are so adamant that your knowledge is correct that you dismiss any counter claim out of hand. I took my information regarding the current situation from interviews I read listened to. We all know you have a contact at the FA which is where you get information from regarding players signings before they are announced and you were very happy to share these. 

1 hour ago, Papa Lazarou said:

I resent that first line and I hope you retract it? As for the PM yes we did have conversations and shared quite a bit of chat, you have these conversations with others to share your precious knowledge. You are so adamant that your knowledge is correct that you dismiss any counter claim out of hand. I took my information regarding the current situation from interviews I read listened to. We all know you have a contact at the FA which is where you get information from regarding players signings before they are announced and you were very happy to share these. 

You will be happy to know I only put info on here because our beloved club did not communicate now I don't unless I know something to be factually wrong beit by mistake or otherwise. This season whenever it starts, which unfortunately is anyones guess, I am not doing anything so you can put the squad up and maintain it or whatever you like John..