22 minutes ago, Flea said:

We cant also have playoffs until we have a declared champion. Has it been decided Barrow have won it, even though they are very easily catchable? 

Will Boreham compete after their chairman said the season was over and they released players?

Will Harrogate’s pitch/ground be acceptable?

Will Stockport/Barnet complain if one misses out on goal difference? 

Will games be played at teams grounds or St Georges? 

What happens to those that have Playoff Final tickets already?

So many questions, so few answers 

Thats the point Flea, theres just no clarity at all.

Imo at the point clubs voted to end it should have been null and void. Yes theres a few clubs likely to be miffed such as Barrow but at least its clear cut. The league are currently telling us what might happen but have no idea how to go about it.

I don't see how you can finalise promotion/relegation issues based on an incomplete season. And if as a league your happy to say its 'as you were' or PPG why not just promote the top 2 and save any unnecessary games?

Edited by greygoose

12 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Thats the point Flea, theres just no clarity at all.

Imo at the point clubs voted to end it should have been null and void. Yes theres a few clubs likely to be miffed such as Barrow but at least its clear cut. The league are currently telling us what might happen but have no idea how to go about it.

I don't see how you can finalise promotion/relegation issues based on an incomplete season. And if as a league your happy to say its 'as you were' or PPG why not just promote the top 2 and save any unnecessary games?

Yes, the simple solution would be to do PPG and just promote the top 2, but then there would be challenges from Notts County and Yeovil, however if the rest of the NL voted for this, probably along with no relegation then it would probably get the required number of votes. What is the number needed for a majority in the NL?

EFL had a meeting yesterday to decide how to move forward with the current season and came up with we will have another meeting on the 8th June.!!!! 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

EFL had a meeting yesterday to decide how to move forward with the current season and came up with we will have another meeting on the 8th June.!!!! 

If this is not a case of "fiddling while Rome burns" then I am not a Yorkshireman:doh:

Pull your bloody fingers out.......

Edited by ITMAN

Its becoming a joke how long the EFL are taking to come up with a decision. The FA should step in and say you decide on the 8th June one way or another. There are currently 8 NL Premier clubs who have no idea what to do with players and plans for next season. 

• Like 2

AFC Fylde owner looks to launch chairmen's 'working group' to bring change to National League

AFC Fylde chairman David Haythornthwaite has written to his fellow National League chairmen, inviting them to join a ‘working group’ to discuss the competition’s future.

23 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

AFC Fylde owner looks to launch chairmen's 'working group' to bring change to National League

AFC Fylde chairman David Haythornthwaite has written to his fellow National League chairmen, inviting them to join a ‘working group’ to discuss the competition’s future.

I know many don't like Fylde but this guy does talk a fair bit of sense.

4 minutes ago, greygoose said:

I know many don't like Fylde but this guy does talk a fair bit of sense.

Seems to be the only one that is at the moment NL clubs  leaking money through non decisions.

Fylde are the prime example of a club elevated beyond their means by being a rich mans play thing. Personally I hope this is costing Haythornwaite millions. No sympathy for clubs like his.

2 minutes ago, Flea said:

Fylde are the prime example of a club elevated beyond their means by being a rich mans play thing. Personally I hope this is costing Haythornwaite millions. No sympathy for clubs like his.

Totally agree with you but at this point in time he is talking sense.

35 minutes ago, Flea said:

The thing is Flea it is his money he is spending and not borrowed money. So that extent he should be given some credit. I have read the article and all I can say is he talks sense.

Fylde are a good example of how you can take the education and Community elements of a club that step further, and they do have what looks like a very good Armed Forces Vets support scheme up and running.

Edited by ITMAN

2 hours ago, ITMAN said:

The thing is Flea it is his money he is spending and not borrowed money. So that extent he should be given some credit. I have read the article and all I can say is he talks sense.

Fylde are a good example of how you can take the education and Community elements of a club that step further, and they do have what looks like a very good Armed Forces Vets support scheme up and running.

People love to hate the Fylde/Forest Greens of this world but we'd all love a millionaire to invest if were honest. Our BOD were even asking for one to come forward not long ago.

I don't think these owners are likely to 'get bored' any time soon.

34 minutes ago, greygoose said:

People love to hate the Fylde/Forest Greens of this world but we'd all love a millionaire to invest if were honest. Our BOD were even asking for one to come forward not long ago.

I don't think these owners are likely to 'get bored' any time soon.

Hardly asking for a millionaire, looking for suitable investors with the future of the club being the main criteria and no ulterior motives.

2 minutes ago, chadders said:

Hardly asking for a millionaire, looking for suitable investors with the future of the club being the main criteria and no ulterior motives.

Chadders if your looking for investment in a football club with no return then your looking for a millionaire.

What ulterior motives do the owners of Forest Green, Fylde or Fleetwood have? Its their money and they are spending it how they like. 

If one of these types had stepped forward at the shay what would the problem have been? They've propelled their respective clubs through the divisions and have not left the clubs to crumble as many predicted.

3 minutes ago, greygoose said:

Chadders if your looking for investment in a football club with no return then your looking for a millionaire.

What ulterior motives do the owners of Forest Green, Fylde or Fleetwood have? Its their money and they are spending it how they like. 

If one of these types had stepped forward at the shay what would the problem have been? They've propelled their respective clubs through the divisions and have not left the clubs to crumble as many predicted.

Given a choice between the bankrolled clubs chairmen I would have to go for FGR's. 

Town would have an eco friendly stadium and some vegan food to eat before or during the match. 

5 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Given a choice between the bankrolled clubs chairmen I would have to go for FGR's. 

Town would have an eco friendly stadium and some vegan food to eat before or during the match. 

We’d have only vegan food - it’s a no from me.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, greg45 said:

We’d have only vegan food - it’s a no from me.

A choice of both would be better. I'm a pescatarian and I'm partial to a bit of vegan food but just because it's on the menu doesn't mean it's any good. 

• Like 1

I'd rather have prudent stewardship so if something unexpected happens (like Covid) the club we support is as secure as it can be. 

DB and Co may not be the most exciting at times when it comes to pushing the boat out and splashing the cash, however they *appear* to have the long term stability box checked. 

• Like 2

Perversely I go to watch a game of football and aren't overly fussed about the stadium or the food on offer . Although my understanding is that most menus nowadays have vegetarians options just incase a vegetarian happens to be feeling peckish

1 hour ago, Flea said:

I'd rather have prudent stewardship so if something unexpected happens (like Covid) the club we support is as secure as it can be. 

DB and Co may not be the most exciting at times when it comes to pushing the boat out and splashing the cash, however they *appear* to have the long term stability box checked. 

I agree that we appear to have prudent stewardship of the club in place, but this is a fact of life for a number of other reasons such as the Club does not own its own ground, consequently it has no real assets to borrow against (a good thing in some ways).  This has led to having to live within our means, and so when a crisis unfolds such as we have now this fortunately means we are already set up to cope with a downturn, and it is not the shock to the system that some other clubs are finding it to be. As we all know you can't miss something you never had.

At the same time I do find it interesting to read, from time to time, what other clubs are doing, the most interesting ones seem to be the Fylde and Borehamwood's of this world, where you have owners who have drive and passion, and who believe it or not sometimes come up with sensible ideas which we could learn from. The one I see quite often is the tie up between FE and the Clubs, in that their Academy set ups are aimed at courses for FE Students, which must generate income, and I have seen somewhere that Fylde are planning on building a 20 bed residential block for students, which here in Leeds is the biggest growth area, as they cannot build enough student accomodation fast enough.

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/about-pase/

Whether this is something the club wants to aspire to, but the Barnet model of providing education alongside developing local young players looks impressive and also gives some of the senior players with a route into coaching that they can utilise for when their playing careers wind down. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Flea said:

The worry is,

what if something happens to Mr B.  !

1 hour ago, rdj said:

The worry is,

what if something happens to Mr B.  !

That is a worry, but its the same for every club - what happens if something happens to the owner.

In this situation would you want the owner walking away, losing their fortune, or dying and the club be spending £25,000 a month more than it takes in,  or breaking even? 

On 5/29/2020 at 10:18 PM, greygoose said:

Maybe but it would not take huge investment to help the club move forward. But it has to be be for the right reasons and from credible and reputable people as opposed to the Abbot's of this world. For me rather than all out investment in the playing squad we should be looking at owning our training facility in Halifax, establishing an academy to augment the excellent work done by Steve Nicol and his team etc .

Fair play to the bank rolling chairman at FGR and Fylde etc for sticking around this long but the concern is when they do go they will leave the clubs with unsustainable running costs and may want any directors loans repaid. I'm sure that if any of their other business interests needed were such a financial drain they would offload or disolve it. Our current board do not operate the same business mantra and strive for a club financed by self generated monies which is commendable as we all want the infrastructure in place to safeguard the stability and long term future of our club. 

This all stems of course from success in the field which is made more difficult to achieve when other clubs in our league throw money at players that they simply don't have.

• Like 2