Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Angus

The ones that got (or were given) away

We tried to keep Pearson and Roberts, think the thread is aimed at those we chose to get rid of!

Mainly if we get rid of you that's the end of your career so there aren't many - Holt, S Hogan spring to mind but that's about it, sure there's more going further back. Holt was specifically sent to Barrow to "learn his trade", he sure did!

Centre back Jimmy Willis, part of that title winning Northern Intermediate team .Went on to be sold by Darlington for £250k to Leicester.At the same time we kept Bobby Barr who played the same position but was slow and overweight and not a patch on his brother.

7 hours ago, monk said:

Andy Rhodes ?? , Was released by us on a free to Emley , had a 4 year break then played for Bradford and Ipswich.

I think you are wrong about Andy Rhodes. He joined us towards the end of his career and yes, I think he did end up at Emley, but that really was at the end of his career.

One player not mentioned is Cameron Jerome. He was in the youth team when I worked at the club. Was released and went on to have a good career.

6 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I think you are wrong about Andy Rhodes. He joined us towards the end of his career and yes, I think he did end up at Emley, but that really was at the end of his career.

One player not mentioned is Cameron Jerome. He was in the youth team when I worked at the club. Was released and went on to have a good career.

Think you need to read again Bubba.

3 minutes ago, Juryeff said:

Think you need to read again Bubba.

What have I missed?:(

2 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Mick Galloway who went on to play for Hearts, Celtic and Scotland?  Not sure if we got any money for him.

We got money for Galloway, but didn't realise Mansfield were entitled to 30% sell on fee until they came banging on the door asking for their brass :doh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Mick Galloway who went on to play for Hearts, Celtic and Scotland?  Not sure if we got any money for him.

Sold for 60k before Mansfield reminded us we owed them half.  That was after manager Mick Jones did a sponsored walk to Preston to raise the funds to sign him

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Didn’t realise Cameron played for us ever !! I used to play with his dad in hudds league years ago 

49 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Possibly got the wrong one ,it says on his profile he had spells at Ipswich and Bradford but as a coach and registered as a player to cover injuries when he returned from a career break after leaving us and going to Emley .

What I did not know about him was that he is Jordan Rhodes father.

6 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Why did we let Elliot Harrison go, looked full of promise then just went??

Where is he now?

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

Grimsby I think. He was at Lincoln for quite a while

Sorry!! I was thinking of Elliot Whitehouse who is at Grimsby

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

Sorry!! I was thinking of Elliot Whitehouse who is at Grimsby

Whitehouse was with us for a very short spell before he went back to Nuneaton then Lincoln then Grimsby. Dont no why he left us and he's been a good player at League 2 level.

1 hour ago, Bubba said:

What have I missed?:(

2 hours ago, Juryeff said:

Paul Willis, went on to premier league with Leicester. 

Shaun Smith who played for crewe up to championship level.

Cameron Jerome who we released in favour of erm... Matthew Hoyle.

9 hours ago, monk said:

Andy Rhodes ?? , Was released by us on a free to Emley , had a 4 year break then played for Bradford and Ipswich.

Simon Eastwood went on to play for Blackburn Portsmouth and Oxford after Aspin got rid after his howler against Gainsborough in the play off semi final second leg at home .

Simon Eastwood is the lad I'm thinking of. 

6 hours ago, TJAshton said:

Scott hogan has turned out to be better than Greggs

He wasn't at the time when he played for us and wasn't prepared to bide his time.

8 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Simon Eastwood is the lad I'm thinking of. 

To be fair I always thought he was dog sh*t when he played for us. Some serious errors stand out in the memory. Certainly pushed on since though!

4 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Went for quite a bit of cash but a lot of it went to the club we signed him from (I think it was Mansfield) who had a big sell on clause.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Whitehouse was with us for a very short spell before he went back to Nuneaton then Lincoln then Grimsby. Dont no why he left us and he's been a good player at League 2 level.

Currently facing an FA charge of racial abuse . Probably let him off when they find out he's ginger :o 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, greg45 said:

To be fair I always thought he was dog sh*t when he played for us. Some serious errors stand out in the memory. Certainly pushed on since though!

Yep, the exact same back four looked and performed so much better with Glennon behind them than they did with Eastwood

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Grimsby I think. He was at Lincoln for quite a while

Do you mean Elliot Whitehouse. Elliot Harrison went to Mosely.

• Like 1