We once went to a game at Reading that was called off last minute. Stopped on the way back to watch Oxford City. The local beer was Tolly Cobbald which was memorable because there was a nude lady on the label.

• Like 1

It was brewed by Wilsons in Newton Heath, Manchester where I worked for a year or two. It was their cheap tasteless lager, and I used to be able to get it very, very cheap in large quantities. John Willy Lees did a similar one called Regal (which you will spot is a certain word spelt backwards), and the State Brewery in Workington did Slalom. All revolting.

Edited by kit
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, kit said:

It was brewed by Wilsons in Newton Heath, Manchester where I worked for a year or two. It was their cheap tasteless lager, and I used to be able to get it very, very cheap in large quantities. John Willy Lees did a similar one called Regal (which you will spot is a certain word spelt backwards), and the State Brewery in Workington did Slalom. All revolting.

I worked in Manchester for a few years in the late 70's and the bre of our choice was always Holts, it was real beer....not like Boddingtons and JW Lees. I was also partial to a pint of Robinsons, and round the corner from where I was based we had a pub that sold Stones, when it was still brewed in Sheffield, that was OK as well. At that time Manchester was the CAMRA place to be as it was reputed you could taste beer from 32 different breweries within the City of Manchester.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

In our virtual Three Pigeons yesterday we talked about our favourite away-match drink 30 years ago. This is Kit promoting the stuff.2040559027_Topbrasstours.thumb.jpg.d1cad96d9e7acdbf202c139d8d103f76.jpg

Any idea which game it was?

1 minute ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

Not sure. Midlands or southern trip I think if we needed tins.

Think it could be Torquay, remember top brass on tour sign in minibus but Kit used to bring owt  out of his garage 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ITMAN said:

I worked in Manchester for a few years in the late 70's and the bre of our choice was always Holts, it was real beer....not like Boddingtons and JW Lees. I was also partial to a pint of Robinsons, and round the corner from where I was based we had a pub that sold Stones, when it was still brewed in Sheffield, that was OK as well. At that time Manchester was the CAMRA place to be as it was reputed you could taste beer from 32 different breweries within the City of Manchester.

I'm not a real ale drinker or owt.  I just drink what's on and usually I drink lager. I was in Manchester last year for a p*$$ up and everywhere our mate took us it was 5 quid a pint and real ale stuff!! Cost us a bloody fortune and we only went for a run out on the train whilst he mate swapped a jacket he had bought. 

Got back in town about 5pm and I was hammered. I can drink but I couldn't stomach another that day and went home.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I'm not a real ale drinker or owt.  I just drink what's on and usually I drink lager. I was in Manchester last year for a p*$$ up and everywhere our mate took us it was 5 quid a pint and real ale stuff!! Cost us a bloody fortune and we only went for a run out on the train whilst he mate swapped a jacket he had bought. 

Got back in town about 5pm and I was hammered. I can drink but I couldn't stomach another that day and went home.  

Drinking during the day knocks me out as well. I do try to wait until after 6 before starting, that way I can pace myself better and enjoy the evening. Must be getting old, gone are the days of swanning round Halifax town centre on a Sat night drinking gallons of the stuff.

5 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Drinking during the day knocks me out as well. I do try to wait until after 6 before starting, that way I can pace myself better and enjoy the evening. Must be getting old, gone are the days of swanning round Halifax town centre on a Sat night drinking gallons of the stuff.

6 o clock is still before breakfast

Just now, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

6 o clock is still before breakfast

That sounds like that Jimmy Buffet song "It' 6 o'clock Somewhere"

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Margarita time 

I always get it mixed up with the Status Quo song of the same name:D

4 hours ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

Not sure. Midlands or southern trip I think if we needed tins.

Might be Maidstone beach party?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shaykehands said:

Might be Maidstone beach party?

Why would Gazzo  wear a jumper to a beach party, that's something that Charlie would do

• Like 1