• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Similar view, I can't see the 2020/21 season starting on time, so therefore that is two seasons affected. My opinion is they should finish this season when ever that becomes possible. What is lef

Points Per Game is the only way to end this season fairly. Simple as that

Much as I can’t stand em would snap your hands off at keeping a club within an hours drive away 

10 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Sport is great. It's a huge leveller in life.  A reliever for a lot of the stresses and day to day life. It helps to keep me ticking over. But...

Why would anybody want their team back on a football field before sorting this virus out? 

There'll be friendlies and guest games like world war 2 but id much rather miss out on sport than have people needlessly dying. 

I feel an air of selfishness with a lot of people who are desperate for the football to come first. 

I couldn't care less about the football at this moment to of time. There's more to life. 

Similar view, I can't see the 2020/21 season starting on time, so therefore that is two seasons affected.

My opinion is they should finish this season when ever that becomes possible. What is left of the 2020/21 season could be used for, as you say, friendlies, guest games, mini cup competitions,  whatever. That way only one League season has to be written off, one that never even begun. Scrapping a season that is 3/4+ complete would be a disaster.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Bazza2al said:

Similar view, I can't see the 2020/21 season starting on time, so therefore that is two seasons affected.

My opinion is they should finish this season when ever that becomes possible. What is left of the 2020/21 season could be used for, as you say, friendlies, guest games, mini cup competitions,  whatever. That way only one League season has to be written off, one that never even begun. Scrapping a season that is 3/4+ complete would be a disaster.

I agree, we started this season and completed 4/5ths of it, so I believe we should have finished whenever feasible. Why not finish it? 

There seems to be a pressure to wipe the slate clean so we can concentrate on a new start/new season, but what's the odds that will be disrupted by Covid-19#2. If that happens we will end up voiding two seasons back to back. That will be an even worse outcome than now!!! 

There is no vaccine and wave 2 is inevitable unfortunately. Planning would need to take that into account. That's why a mini season/or conclusion next season would have helped. 

Anyhow, it's done now. 

Edited by shaymen_x
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TommyH72 said:

I really cant get my head around why people cant accept that Barrow are top of the table because over 37 games they amassed more points than any other team :- Champions.

Harrogate amassed 66 points over 37 games :- 2nd Promoted. All the other teams just didn't amass enough points, the teams at the bottom had actually played games more, Ebbsfleet 39, Chorley & Maidenhead 38 each, so I would feel sorry for Fylde in 2nd bottom because they had only played 37 games. But at the close of play at 5 pm on 14th March 2020 then for me the league positions should stand and promotion & relegation should be based on league position at that time.

Because some teams may have say 9 games left, against 7 of the teams in the bottom 10 positions of the league at home and make the argument that they are better placed to win those games than another team who has 7 away games left against teams at the top of the league, meaning that their current league position is skewed due to weight of teams played so far...

Barrow for example have a lot harder run in on paper than Harrogate. The argument could be made that Harrogate would pick up more points in the remaining games as their run in is easier, thus they should be champions...

Edited by Flea
56 minutes ago, Bubba said:

But when the season started it was based on 46 games. To end the season early and base final standings on average points per game to me would bring the game into dispute. What if Barrow had a very difficult run in and might not have averaged 1.891 points per game? What if Chesterfield would have had a very difficult run in and might not have won any further games whereas Fylde might have had a great end to the season?

There are a lot of permutations and scenarios and sadly the fairest way to resolve it to scrap the season and consign it to history.

The president was surely set  in the 1939/40 season - null & void

1 hour ago, Flea said:

This is going to open up a huge can of worms. Any club that misses out on promotion/playoff spots, or gets relegated will try find some sort of legal recourse against the decision. 

There is not enough of a gap for me to call Barrow Champions. I don't agree that they should automatically be given the promotion spot.

However, if there is a system or something put in place to try decide which two teams get promoted then it should be weighted in a way that they have a more likely chance to go up than ourselves for example, who sit in 6th. 

At the same time, we have a legit interest in the fall out of this decision, as if the top 2 are given promotion we could well cite that we were in with a chance of promotion ourselves. The problem is, Solihull, Hartlepool and Woking are only a few points off the playoffs, with games in hand. They could all state a claim for a playoff spot. Then to make it even more complicated, Barnet in 11th are only 4 points off the playoffs themselves but hold 2,3 and 4 games on hand on the teams immediately above them. 

How does the league even start to work out a "fair" way to work out who would have ended up where? 

We could state it would be highly unlikely that Barrow or Harrogate would have fallen completely out of the playoffs (It would have needed an almost consistent losing run), however we can't say for certain that any other team would have secured a playoff spot, or even would not be able to win the league. 

I'm not too bothered if we don't play the playoffs. Don't think we would have had a chance in hell of winning them (unlike the last time we were in them, when we were many people's favourites). 

I would like to see Barrow and other such clubs get what they deserve, but at the same time I'm not in favour of relegating clubs who didn't get the chance to play all their games, so for me you either void the season or inflate some of the divisions for one season only by promoting but not relegating.

21 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

The president was surely set  in the 1939/40 season - null & void

Not sure that’s a fair precedent when only 3 games had been played in 1939/40. 

Edited by Bazza2al

A Premier League source is looking at increasing its size to 22 teams.

2 promoted from Championship with no relegation from it.

2 promoted from League 1 with no relegation from it.

3 promoted from League 2 with no relegation from it.

3 promoted from Conference with no relegation.

3 Promotions from Conference North/South and no relegation.

This proposal could be on the table as the Premier League need money and Promoting Leeds United

and West Bromich Albion enhances that possibility, without harming any lower league clubs.

Lets see what happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, shaymen_x said:

So how does this work? 

It seems that if you play well you get promoted (barrow worthy winners btw) and if you play crap you still stay up. Surely this can't be right, we are losing the plot. 

Winners? Or top of the league with 27 points left to play for? 

Edited by Papa Lazarou

I get your point but I'm talking more about the principal of this in general and also I wouldn't be bitter if barrow were promoted as they are far better than us. 

Null and void it all in my opinion. The national league have cancelled the season before they have worked out how to conclude it. How long have they had to think about this? Priceless. 

57 minutes ago, Flea said:

Because some teams may have say 9 games left, against 7 of the teams in the bottom 10 positions of the league at home and make the argument that they are better placed to win those games than another team who has 7 away games left against teams at the top of the league, meaning that their current league position is skewed due to weight of teams played so far...

Barrow for example have a lot harder run in on paper than Harrogate. The argument could be made that Harrogate would pick up more points in the remaining games as their run in is easier, thus they should be champions...

But Flea, the season is no more, it is a dead season, it has gone to the great seasons in the sky. So all the if's, but's & maybe's dont count anymore. Why can it just not be accepted that Barrow finished top and Chorley were bottom etc etc. A straight question? If Town were sat top of the table at this very moment would you still be doing permutations on who could have knocked us off the perch, or would you be demanding Promotion. And be totally honest. Would you accept that some guy sat in a room at a desk calculates that we might have dropped points here there and everywhere and finish 5th?? I dont think so.

16 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

But Flea, the season is no more, it is a dead season, it has gone to the great seasons in the sky. So all the if's, but's & maybe's dont count anymore. Why can it just not be accepted that Barrow finished top and Chorley were bottom etc etc. A straight question? If Town were sat top of the table at this very moment would you still be doing permutations on who could have knocked us off the perch, or would you be demanding Promotion. And be totally honest. Would you accept that some guy sat in a room at a desk calculates that we might have dropped points here there and everywhere and finish 5th?? I dont think so.

I think its just about consistency and fairness. The leagues below us have written the seasons off and said no one is going up or down. It should be the same from The Premiership, right down to the lowest leagues. 

I also don't buy the "If Town were top you would say different" line, because as things stand at the moment Town would potentially be in the mix for a playoff if it could happen. I feel the season should be written off now, which would take away our playoff spot. 

Currently we are in a situation where we don't know what is going to happen next. My view is to be consistent its better to null and void the whole thing. That is my view and the decision that is eventually made may actually be one that seems Town get promoted, or have a shot of promotion, so I'm certainly not promoting a cancellation out of spite for any team that would be promoted currently, as potentially we could be one of those teams. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Greggs said:

If its average points per game wouldn't we be above Boreham wood as we have played a game less haven't we? Not sure haven't checked the table 

Played same games but Barnet would jump 4 according to the table above so we would drop to 7th so it's Yeovil away then Harrogate away and Notts County/Borehamwood or Barnet in the final if points per game were  used and play offs completed .

Glad I am not sorting this out but if I was I would prefer to complete this season and have a mini season 20/21 regionalised in National League , Lesgue1 and 2 , so there is 6 leagues with less teams .

2 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

And also not being able to watch either live or on TV may be affecting some peoples mental health

Agreed. I suffer with anxiety and depression and this has really affected me. Football is a release for me.

2 hours ago, monk said:

Played same games but Barnet would jump 4 according to the table above so we would drop to 7th so it's Yeovil away then Harrogate away and Notts County/Borehamwood or Barnet in the final if points per game were  used and play offs completed .

Glad I am not sorting this out but if I was I would prefer to complete this season and have a mini season 20/21 regionalised in National League , Lesgue1 and 2 , so there is 6 leagues with less teams .

Think you're reading it wrong, the table shows Barnet jumping up four positions from 11th. We'd still be 6th.

23 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Think you're reading it wrong, the table shows Barnet jumping up four positions from 11th. We'd still be 6th.

Yes , I have read it wrong we would still be 6th .

I don't know if it works this way but surely the fairest way to implement points per game (if that is the route the league decide) would be to work out average points per game for home matches and again for away matches and combine the two. Would like to see how this looks in a table, as long as it puts Fylde in the relegation spots of course.