Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Flea

Learning about the Fax of Life

33 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Shaymaker, that's it! When they closed the Co-Op kiosk down they opened one in the Borough Market about 10yds away from the ladies bogs. Not sure if it was still Tony then, though.

Morrisons used to have that little shaymaker stall too. It was a blue punch and Judy style tent next to the beer section! When I was a kid. 

Just now, Icke's Lizard said:

Morrisons used to have that little shaymaker stall too. It was a blue punch and Judy style tent next to the beer section! When I was a kid. 

That's it. That's what I was trying to think of Shaymaker. Tony Thwaites sold them. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Lileys. 

I could be wrong but my memory suggests Lileys was at the top of Cheapside, just up from the Brass Cat/Upper George,  The one near the top of George Street was Jack Lees?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bazza45 said:

I could be wrong but my memory suggests Lileys was at the top of Cheapside, just up from the Brass Cat/Upper George,  The one near the top of George Street was Jack Lees?

That's right. At the opposite side of the alleyway from the Brass Cat. 

I used to go to the shop on Horton Street in the early 70's. Some of my mates and I from school used to sell the lottery tickets, I loved browsing through the used programs for ones that interested me from the bigger clubs. We were that smitten we even used to go to the reserve team games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Wasnt Tony the Steward at The South Ward WMC? 

Think he was and used  to play snooker  with Steve Thornber 

Tony had shop in Horton Street  and had someone selling tickets in market, I did it for a week when someone was on holiday but don't tell the social ;),

2 hours ago, townmad said:

I used to spend a lot of time talking to Tony in the Horton Street shop. He lived and breathed Halifax Town. He then had a fallout if I remember rightly and moved over to the dark side working for the rugby club. It must have been some fallout for him to do that. He was one of the nicest guys you could meet and died far too young.

He did and started a new lottery which was big and had people knocking on your door to join, think we tried ours a few years later which didn't take off

I still do the Halifax Town A.F.C. Gold Bond which I started doing in about 2004, now it is run by Blackpool F.C. I won the top prize of £2000 within six months of joining and have won a few £5/£10 prizes since then but for £4 odd a month it isn't bad. 

14 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

I still do the Halifax Town A.F.C. Gold Bond which I started doing in about 2004, now it is run by Blackpool F.C. I won the top prize of £2000 within six months of joining and have won a few £5/£10 prizes since then but for £4 odd a month it isn't bad. 

It was always run (administered) by Blackpool - HTAFC was simply an agent of it. Does the club still get any money from it do you know? It used to make about £300 a week.

No idea but I have often wondered about that. The promoter was Mrs S Johnstone and Gavin Butler was the HTAFC contact. The information on the back of the membership card states that the club receives at least 50p of the £1 weekly subscription although about a year or so ago I had a letter from Blackpool FC to notify me of a restructure of the prizes and the issue of new numbers so maybe the connection with our new club has been severed.

1 minute ago, Shaymen2008 said:

No idea but I have often wondered about that. The promoter was Mrs S Johnstone and Gavin Butler was the HTAFC contact. The information on the back of the membership card states that the club receives at least 50p of the £1 weekly subscription although about a year or so ago I had a letter from Blackpool FC to notify me of a restructure of the prizes and the issue of new numbers so maybe the connection with our new club has been severed.

Don't ask Bubba about that Gavin Butler guy...:ph34r:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, greg45 said:

Hes a right tosser.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, greg45 said:

Apparently he ruined bubba's life............

18 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

Not arf :D

23 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

Thought that was Hoddie 

• Haha 1

Didn't Tony run a shop down at the bottom of the street that is now under the glass roof (westgate) ?. I seem to remember him stood outside having a fag most times I went past.

Edited by townmad

43 minutes ago, townmad said:

Didn't Tony run a shop down at the bottom of the street that is now under the glass roof (westgate) ?. I seem to remember him stood outside having a fag most times I went past.

Sure did, Jamie Paterson worked in the shop with him. 

5 hours ago, Shaymen2008 said:

Did we get a sell on to Blackpool?

• Like 1