World Cup Of Halifax Pubs.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Big Six surely worth a nomination? 

If the winning pub is still standing at the end of this then I think everyone should make it their first pit stop when doors re-open  

Bloody hell, im desperate for a pint!  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Flea said:

If the winning pub is still standing at the end of this then I think everyone should make it their first pit stop when doors re-open :D 

A world Cup winners celebration party before the next home game. 

Whenever the hell that'll be. 

I have a feeling this season will be finished in a fashion but behind closed doors. 

8 minutes ago, Flea said:

It’ll probably lose on Pens to the Germans at some point.

There used to be a beer Keller on the middle floor of Crossleys Bar. 

I'd be gutted if Crossleys Bar is Germany though. I loved Crossleys Bar. 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Shay said:

It has to be The Three Pigs. It’s not even a competition surely? 

Against the whole of halifax?  Take match day out of the equation and against the defunct group of pubs!! 

This is it's why it's a world cup. Some hearts are going to be broken.  

Edited by Icke's Lizard
9 hours ago, Blueblood said:

The jubilee hotel or better known as the Rock at southowram, ( now a crèche or similar )also the malt shovel ( now apartments)  great pubs back in the day.

The Jubilee, was like the Woodlands in Brighouse were you felt you were sat in someones front room.

Remember getting locked in their once on a Tuesday night playing Darts & Doms for the Sun Inn at Lightcliffe when we had a mid winter blizzard, we ended up walking down't hill to Brookfoot and it hadn't snowed there. :o

The Three Pigs on paper are clear favourites but for me The Rushcart could upset the Applecart and there is always a Dark Horse..The White Horse 

Shakespeare is up there but I wouldn't read too much into that .

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Against the whole of halifax?  Take match day out of the equation and against the defunct group of pubs!! 

This is it's why it's a world cup. Some hearts are going to be broken.  

Was that a Jason Donovan song

• Haha 1
16 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Halifax was always the best town for pubs Flea. It was better than Bradford, Huddersfield and Leeds and you'd get loads of people from out of town coming into Halifax for. A night out and a fair stag and hen parties over the years. 

There used to be a rugby union team from Swansea that would come over every year and they loved it. 

I think by around the mid 90's Leeds started to really boom and loads more bars and pubs opened up and to a lesser extent Huddersfield did too. Then I think by the late 90's Halifax nightlife started to decline and its only recently with all this tosh about it being the Shoreditch of the North etc that there's been a few places open and also it's had some decent press. 

But back in the day it was a better night out than many towns and cities. 

When I first moved to WY I lived in Bradford and everybody told me that Halifax was the place to go for a night out.

Came a few times and quite liked it, never really felt safe in Bradford always seemed to be on edge. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Guido said:

The Jubilee, was like the Woodlands in Brighouse were you felt you were sat in someones front room.

Remember getting locked in their once on a Tuesday night playing Darts & Doms for the Sun Inn at Lightcliffe when we had a mid winter blizzard, we ended up walking down't hill to Brookfoot and it hadn't snowed there. :o

Southowram seemed to have it own climate in those days , there were many of  times you could have 6 inch of snow in the village then get to Halifax or brighouse and there would be just a light dusting off snow,as for a lock at the rock that was a regular occurrence, I come out of there many a time when it was coming light in the morning, good days .

On 4/15/2020 at 11:46 PM, mj85 said:

Lantern is next Door to Alexandra, bigger of the two.

Standard of Freedom near the hospital, proper local boozer with real ales and log fire rather than the more ‘cool kids’ Murgatroyd Arms.

Volunteers at Copley is alright too. 

We used to play out of the Murg, so that would make us cool kids before our time.  Yay ! 

• Haha 2

Picture shows end of North Bridge with railway station at left and Pineapple which opened in 1772 and known originally as New North Bridge Inn. 1779 name changed to Pine Apple. Finally closed 1968 to make way for redevelopment .

Pine-Apple-Hotel.jpg

PineappleHotel 2.jpg

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Good point and another reason why it was so popular. 

Amount of pubs and proximity. 

My friends from home usually visit every couple of months and love sticking to Halifax rather than going Manchester or Leeds for pretty much that reason.

Can easily have a day going in ten pubs without having to walk far or get taxi's etc.

Halifax and Wakey have been their favourites.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, mj85 said:

My friends from home usually visit every couple of months and love sticking to Halifax rather than going Manchester or Leeds for pretty much that reason.

Can easily have a day going in ten pubs without having to walk far or get taxi's etc.

Halifax and Wakey have been their favourites.

The Westgate Run, or stagger by the end of it ! 

Old Lane Inn (now demolished) was a strange place. Went in there for a pint a few times but never seemed to be busy.

Great thread by the way. If anyone wants a trip down memory lane Stephen Gee's 'Halifax Pubs' Volumes 1 and 2 are a fascinating read. Covers the town centre and all outlying areas. Each pub has a photo and info underneath.

10 minutes ago, seasideblue said:

Old Lane Inn (now demolished) was a strange place. Went in there for a pint a few times but never seemed to be busy.

Great thread by the way. If anyone wants a trip down memory lane Stephen Gee's 'Halifax Pubs' Volumes 1 and 2 are a fascinating read. Covers the town centre and all outlying areas. Each pub has a photo and info underneath.

Thanks for your recommendation mate. I'll add that to my list of must read books. 

Cheers.