World Cup Of Halifax Pubs.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Big Six surely worth a nomination? 

If the winning pub is still standing at the end of this then I think everyone should make it their first pit stop when doors re-open  

Bloody hell, im desperate for a pint!  

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Ukky Club for the 3pm till 5pm on a Saturday afternoon and them down to Berni Inns for the Happy Hour 5pm toll 7pm!!!! That was before pubs opened all day 

Proper drinkers did Milan’s as opposed to Ukranian...

Boothtown had New Delight, New Inn, Foggy, Flying Dutchman , Friendly and the Coach and Horses but if you wanted you could start at the top of Plough Croft and do the Red Lion and Sportsman and a bit out of the way was the Propect

4 hours ago, Hxmitch said:

No but remember 50’s landlord chap named Drake

He was landlord for many years until probably the early 80's when George Houseman took over.  Not sure how many years George was there

35 minutes ago, eddie said:

Boothtown had New Delight, New Inn, Foggy, Flying Dutchman , Friendly and the Coach and Horses but if you wanted you could start at the top of Plough Croft and do the Red Lion and Sportsman and a bit out of the way was the Propect

Played darts and doms at New Delight a couple of weeks before it shut. Atmosphere was like a morgue all night. Played pool at all these pubs except the Dutchman and Prospect, weird to think that so many closed down within a few years of each other. What's actually still open? Dutch and Prospect?

1 hour ago, chadders said:

hell yes a nice pub inside just the clientele - ouch. Once played a pool match there for the Shay Hotel which ended up with a pool cue being broke in half and a glass going through the window. Decent beer too that Home Ales.

My mom just told me Heathcliff is where they found my dad when she was taken to hospital to give birth to me. Think he had the right idea.

• Haha 2
14 hours ago, themanwhowasntthere said:

Calder and Hebble.

Didn't mention it originally as it's no longer there, but when I ran it , it was a big shaymen hostilery for 6 years                  1986 to 1991, demolished in 1994 for Copley bypass onto A629 , which of course never materialised

Other pubs no longer with us ,Stafford arms, falcon,Bradshaw tavern,exley park    and many more 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

What was the pub called that did Sunday afternoon drinking? It was up near the Cross Keys sort of behind the shoe warehouse and up a bit. 

A very popular Sunday afternoon drinking hole when pubs shut at 2 till 7.

Clarence?

3 hours ago, chadders said:

hell yes a nice pub inside just the clientele - ouch. Once played a pool match there for the Shay Hotel which ended up with a pool cue being broke in half and a glass going through the window. Decent beer too that Home Ales.

Pool cues must have been the weapon of choice up there, we had to abandon a darts and doms match up there when local lads wouldn't stop playing pool in front of the dart board (totally ignored the guy behind the bar) and attacked one of their own team when he tried to stop them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, bazza45 said:

He was landlord for many years until probably the early 80's when George Houseman took over.  Not sure how many years George was there

Used to live opposite the Queen Victoria and my bedroom overlooked the main door. Remember in the early 50’s a regular customer arrived on his horse and trap and tie it up. At the end of the night if he had had too much to drink they put him in the trap and released the horse and the horse found it’s way home. 
Nothing to do with football but hey ho makes a change.

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

Played darts and doms at New Delight a couple of weeks before it shut. Atmosphere was like a morgue all night. Played pool at all these pubs except the Dutchman and Prospect, weird to think that so many closed down within a few years of each other. What's actually still open? Dutch and Prospect?

Yes although the prospect has shut and opened a few times, but the Dutch is owned by a town fan

Is this the first time we have got a thread plus 6 pages without any arguments?

All we had to do was talk about beer and pubs, who'd have known :D 

Amazing really to look back at all the pubs that this Town has had over the years. There are tons yet that we haven't even touched on. Maybe we are all just drunkards at heart. 

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Flea said:

Amazing really to look back at all the pubs that this Town has had over the years. There are tons yet that we haven't even touched on. Maybe we are all just drunkards at heart. 

So 2 things unite us a love  of the Shaymen and a love of the pub- both stopped by a virus!

5 minutes ago, Flea said:

Halifax was always the best town for pubs Flea. It was better than Bradford, Huddersfield and Leeds and you'd get loads of people from out of town coming into Halifax for. A night out and a fair stag and hen parties over the years. 

There used to be a rugby union team from Swansea that would come over every year and they loved it. 

I think by around the mid 90's Leeds started to really boom and loads more bars and pubs opened up and to a lesser extent Huddersfield did too. Then I think by the late 90's Halifax nightlife started to decline and its only recently with all this tosh about it being the Shoreditch of the North etc that there's been a few places open and also it's had some decent press. 

But back in the day it was a better night out than many towns and cities. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Halifax was always the best town for pubs Flea. It was better than Bradford, Huddersfield and Leeds and you'd get loads of people from out of town coming into Halifax for. A night out and a fair stag and hen parties over the years. 

There used to be a rugby union team from Swansea that would come over every year and they loved it. 

I think by around the mid 90's Leeds started to really boom and loads more bars and pubs opened up and to a lesser extent Huddersfield did too. Then I think by the late 90's Halifax nightlife started to decline and its only recently with all this tosh about it being the Shoreditch of the North etc that there's been a few places open and also it's had some decent press. 

Was brilliant and now all young ones do is go to acca and maine street

• Sad 2
6 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I think because all the pubs are close together , you could have a good night just doing pubs round bull green .

Been to some places and bars are spread out .

Key to a good night is fall out of one and stumble into another .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1