47 minutes ago, Macam blue said:

Another good winger from the past was Dave Chadwick. Very skilful & enjoyed taking the left back on.

Suppose with my username he should have been in my squad but he was more a cult hero as a seven year old and did not really appreciate his footballing talents.

• Like 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another good winger from the past was Dave Chadwick. Very skilful & enjoyed taking the left back on.

Were all in the team when I attended my first game at the Shay Also in the team Paddy Stanley Arthur Johnston Phil. Roscoe Alex South Gerry Priestley Those were the days when  players. dropted. down t

Can we have loan players. If so I`d pick Stuart Parnaby  

1 hour ago, Macam blue said:

Loved Chadwick & Dave Lennard. One of my other favs was Tony Flowers

Edited by TommyH72
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

Loved Chadwick & Dave Lennard. One of my other favs was Tony Flowers

Loved Dave Leonard, one of my best ever town players. Gave his all & had a wonderfully powerful shot. Matty Pearson has a similar attitude but not quite the level of ability.

We have been blessed with some really good players over the decades, unfortunately mixed with a fair bit of dross ;)

• Like 2
On 4/11/2020 at 10:05 PM, Bill Atkins said:

Alex Smith

Andy Burgin

Phil Brown

Chris Nichol

John Pickering

Lammie Robertson

Mick Kennedy

Willie Carlin

Rick Holden

Bill Atkins

Geoff Horsfield

Subs     Peter Downsbourgh  Jamie Patterson Mick Galloway Dave Leonard Freddie Hill

Could have put Phil Roscoe and Paddy Stanley at fullback but doubt they would remain on the pitch for more than five minutes Biggest pair of fullbacks I have ever seen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Somebody put Norman Bodell down, wasn't he the guy Alan Ball had a race with and when he couldn't beat ball he was finished at the club. there were crude fullbacks, dirty fullbacks and then there was Norman. :D

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, townmad said:

Somebody put Norman Bodell down, wasn't he the guy Alan Ball had a race with and when he couldn't beat ball he was finished at the club. there were crude fullbacks, dirty fullbacks and then there was Norman. :D

Not many got passed him.:P

Just now, Steve Lanzarote said:

Not many got passed him.:P

In this day and age he would be booked for his first challenge and sent off for his second, he made Norman Hunter and Chopper Harris look like choir boys.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Got to have a bit of bite in your team.:rolleyes:

Any one remember Derek Bell? He wasn't the biggest but played for us during the dim, dark Div 4 days when we were really poor. Like Paul Hendrie and Tommy 'Ten Men' he would tackle anything that moved. Lost count of the number of goal keepers he would take out when put through. A colourful character as well. 

20 minutes ago, quizmaster said:

Any one remember Derek Bell? He wasn't the biggest but played for us during the dim, dark Div 4 days when we were really poor. Like Paul Hendrie and Tommy 'Ten Men' he would tackle anything that moved. Lost count of the number of goal keepers he would take out when put through. A colourful character as well. 

Certainly do and another one Jeff Lee.

5 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

Smith

Nichol, Parnaby

Hill, Kennedy, Leonard

Holden, Atkins, Horsfield, Patterson, Vardy

Subs: Gennoe, Galloway, Robertson, Norris, Massey, Mark Harold (I went to school with him!)

If that team doesn't score goals no team will!

Mark Harold, last I knew he was living in Antigua 

16 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Mark Harold, last I knew he was living in Antigua 

Correct.

If there was one player I thought who would make it, it was him.

Strangely was played as a full back and continued playing there after Halifax but always played as a forward at school.

Probably too laid back.

One player mentioned byBTM as a sub Phil McCarthy was a great left winger with height and knew were the goals were and scored some good goals. Played with Town in the late sixties early seventies.

Deserved to have been in a few more Best Town team.

3 hours ago, townmad said:

If you can’t get the man get the ball was Norman’s motto.

4 hours ago, townmad said:

He wore them big Rugby boots that covered his ankles. Nobody ever went past him.

1 hour ago, Hxmitch said:

One player mentioned byBTM as a sub Phil McCarthy was a great left winger with height and knew were the goals were and scored some good goals. Played with Town in the late sixties early seventies.

Great long throw as well.

Plus a fantastic long throw.

3 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Plus a fantastic long throw.

Who remembers the Long Throw competition they had on the TV, I think Phil McCarthy took part in it and was filmed going for the longest throw, His was as good as having a corner, plus with the speedway track he could get a good long run up. 

18 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Who remembers the Long Throw competition they had on the TV, I think Phil McCarthy took part in it and was filmed going for the longest throw, His was as good as having a corner, plus with the speedway track he could get a good long run up. 

Did Malcom Macdonald win it?

28 minutes ago, born to moan said:

Great long throw as well.

Good player then decided he wanted to play as a left back, which he wasn’t.