Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Sign in to follow this  
chadders

Halifax Rugby League Club

12 minutes ago, chadders said:

Put players and staff on furlough.

Are they full time players or semi? If they are semi-pro then one would assume that the rugby would not be their primary source of income.

1 minute ago, ITMAN said:

Are they full time players or semi? If they are semi-pro then one would assume that the rugby would not be their primary source of income.

Not sure tbh. Doubt they all would be fill time.

1 minute ago, chadders said:

Not sure tbh. Doubt they all would be fill time.

reading the Chairman's statement he refers to staff and not players, maybe that is the difference.

6 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

reading the Chairman's statement he refers to staff and not players, maybe that is the difference.

The article I saw on love rugby league.com says players and staff but another article says just staff so confusing 

Nothing wrong with this in my opinion. Im surprised we haven't done it either tbf. Lets be blunt, neither club are rolling in money, wages still need to be paid. 

• Like 1

As a furloughed member of staff at my place there are strict rules about not doing any work at all. Not even accessing work emails.

How would that work for a professional sportsman? If they do fitness work in their furlough time are they breaking the rules and making themselves ineligible?

1 minute ago, Bobbins said:

As a furloughed member of staff at my place there are strict rules about not doing any work at all. Not even accessing work emails.

How would that work for a professional sportsman? If they do fitness work in their furlough time are they breaking the rules and making themselves ineligible?

Erm, no. The prime minister has said you're allowed to exercise. 

When I googled to see if they were pro or semi-pro there was an article from the Guardian in 2018 about teams trying to get back into the Superleague. In it it stated that Halifax only had 1 full-time and 2 part time non-playing members of staff, everyone else were volunteers.   

12 hours ago, chadders said:

The article I saw on love rugby league.com says players and staff but another article says just staff so confusing 

Official statement says staff and players.The squad is part-time with the odd possible exception,so not sure how the furlough works in these instances.

Are part time players employed to play games only? Given that part timers can’t always attend training sessions as their other job takes priority. At the moment players cannot play but could train on their own but not with others, so is this personal choice or a fitness programme given to them to follow ( in other words “work”). It’s a grey area. Not sure who would adjudicate, HMRC presumably.

42 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Are part time players employed to play games only? Given that part timers can’t always attend training sessions as their other job takes priority. At the moment players cannot play but could train on their own but not with others, so is this personal choice or a fitness programme given to them to follow ( in other words “work”). It’s a grey area. Not sure who would adjudicate, HMRC presumably.

I'd say staying fit would be allowed. Obviously going out in the community and promoting the club or fundraising wouldn't. 

Most companies now are keeping one or two members of staff off furlough and they are the ones "processing" orders, or updating websites officially, yet behind the scenes there are furloughed workers still doing little bits to help out - not doing full shifts but answering internal calls to trouble shoot problems etc... The legal stance is if you are furloughed you do NOTHING. Personally I think we have more important things to worry about at the moment.

• Like 1