Saw a post from the courier site saying people in Siddal had been stopped and one person was told that a newspaper isn't an essential item.  I'm not sure where I stand on that, for some people, particularly the elderly, that could be there only source of receiving 'current affairs', and help alleviate boredom with crosswords etc in.

3 minutes ago, fez said:

Saw a post from the courier site saying people in Siddal had been stopped and one person was told that a newspaper isn't an essential item.  I'm not sure where I stand on that, for some people, particularly the elderly, that could be there only source of receiving 'current affairs', and help alleviate boredom with crosswords etc in.

Unless we are living in a totalitarian state, where essential items are prescribed then it is no business of anyone else what you or I consider to be "essential" items. Until we are given a list of what we can and cannot purchase then it is an open book.

1 hour ago, fez said:

Newspaper could turn out to be more essential than ever during the lack of bog roll climate we find ourselves in!

on a side note, I have to drive around Calderdale each day as part of my essential work and I have to applaud the public in their common sense distancing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Flea said:

I could happily never eat chocolate again. I don't hate it, however its always felt a bit meh for me. Crisps however, I don't think I could do a week without them. 

Dificult choice that one!

Death by chocolate or salt induced heart attack! Lol.

1 minute ago, Riders of Rohan said:

We are a long way from Martial Law.

If you want to see that in action look at India or our new friends China. In India the police walk down the street hitting anyone near enough.

In England we have youths gathering together taunting the Police. 

The Police would do that hear if they thought they would get away with it. We are not a long way from it at all, apart from key workers everyone else is confined to quarters, snitchers behind every curtain.

• Like 1

A large number of the Prison population will be released soon as they jails aren’t safe for neither prisoners nor prison officers, a sense of panic is setting in across the prison network.

We might need a curfew in place if they do. I speak as someone who had two attempted break- ins in the same day (12th March). makes me feel very uneasy.

Edited by Riders of Rohan
I removed some text.
14 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

A large number of the Prison population will be released soon as they jails aren’t safe for neither prisoners nor prison officers, a sense of panic is setting in across the prison network.

We might need a curfew in place if they do. I speak as someone who had two attempted break- ins in the same day (12th March). makes me feel very uneasy.

They're opening the jails up yet they're threatening to jail people who exercise outdoors more than once a day. It's things like this that make our politicians look like muppets.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

You would have thought a Prison was safer than anywhere else especially if you stop visitors going in, unless they stayed behind a glass screen. Prison officers could be among those tested, if positive, they do not enter. Releasing all prisoners is either madness are part of the plan. People will have to feel very uneasy like you to accept the security measures are accepted here like they have been forced onto Communist China.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

You would have thought a Prison was safer than anywhere else especially if you stop visitors going in, unless they stayed behind a glass screen. Prison officers could be among those tested, if positive, they do not enter. Releasing all prisoners is either madness are part of the plan. People will have to feel very uneasy like you to accept the security measures are accepted here like they have been forced onto Communist China.

Agree. 

But they couldn’t stop packets of drugs coming in, guess an invisible virus is well beyond them.

As for the muppets who are deliberately flouting the regulations perhaps a Covid-19 infested Armley is what they deserve.

8 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Derbyshire police are known for their enthusiastic road traffic policing, seems to have spilled over.

I remember during the miners strike being stopped at a road block on our way to watch town at Chesterfield. One of them was accusing us of going to support a miners demonstration even though we had told them where we were going. It looked like we could have been turned back when one of the coppers laughed and said nobody would claim to be a town fan if they were not. I think it was a league cup replay and we had the last laugh as we beat them and went through to the next round.:D

5 hours ago, hunsworthhound said:

If newspapers weren't  essential items the government would have shut all the news agents. I try to get mine on my daily walk

I combine getting mine with doing a bit of shopping and having my little daily walk.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Checking what you've purchased would be a breach of social distancing rules . Just say no comment and move away from the thought police

or ask them where their search warrant is?

• Like 1

Had cause to visit a prison about 2 years ago, the prison itself was no problem, however waiting in the visitor centre to go in was the most uncomfortable and uneasy time i have ever had in my lifetime.

With reference to the comments regarding the early release of prisoners there does seem to be some "Daily Mail" type hysteria going on.

My eldest son is a Senior Custodial Officer at a Young Offenders Institute (Secure College of Learning), and he informs me of the valid reasons for releasing some prisoners who are within 2-3 months of completing their sentence and who are recognised as not being a threat to the public at large.

• They are already overcrowded and have difficulty in observing the "social distance" rules
  • They have a large number of officers already self isolating so their staff levels are far too low to manage a prison safely
  • If they do have a Covid-19 outbreak then it will stretch them even further. They have a wing already set up to be used as an isolation wing but it only has limited capacity and certainly no medical equipment.

All in all, they like the rest of the Public Sector are seeing the pigeons coming home to roost after a decade of conservative austerity. What they need desperately, is access to the test that tells them if they have the virus now. My son is currently at home on a works imposed self isolation because his 2 year old daughter had a high temperature and sickness. She had suffered with this before and it is no different. If he was to have the test and could show he did not have the virus he could then return to work and help his struggling colleagues. He himself feels perfectly well and shows no symptoms, even after 5 days.

• Thanks 1