Martial Law

TommyH72

I have thought for a little while now that if things continue as they are then I can see a point in time when we might possibly see the army drafted in to control peoples movements, I certainly hope that we dont reach that point, and it does look as though peoples attitudes have changed in the main so hopefully it wont become necessary. So I was somewhat surprised when I read this headline:-

The Guardian

UK police warned against ‘overreach’ in use of virus lockdown powers

It seems that the Police are getting carried away with their use of the new laws, particularly it seems the Derbyshire Constabulary. They have all ready taken to using what many, myself included, would be strong arm tactics. It seems that they are stopping people who are driving, checking the shopping they have bought and deciding what is and isn't essential items. They have stopped shops from selling Easter Eggs, the list goes on. They are telling people that they are not allowed out for more than an hour a day and they are over using drones to govern peoples movements. This needs to be dealt with very quickly by the Goverment before it gets out of hand. And having just listened to an American Broadcast they appear to be having the same issues. The commentators point out quite rightly that we, the people need to make sure that once this situation is over, the powers handed to the police for now are stripped away again, otherwise we are verging on a police state. 

32 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I have thought for a little while now that if things continue as they are then I can see a point in time when we might possibly see the army drafted in to control peoples movements, I certainly hope that we dont reach that point, and it does look as though peoples attitudes have changed in the main so hopefully it wont become necessary. So I was somewhat surprised when I read this headline:-

The Guardian

UK police warned against ‘overreach’ in use of virus lockdown powers

It seems that the Police are getting carried away with their use of the new laws, particularly it seems the Derbyshire Constabulary. They have all ready taken to using what many, myself included, would be strong arm tactics. It seems that they are stopping people who are driving, checking the shopping they have bought and deciding what is and isn't essential items. They have stopped shops from selling Easter Eggs, the list goes on. They are telling people that they are not allowed out for more than an hour a day and they are over using drones to govern peoples movements. This needs to be dealt with very quickly by the Goverment before it gets out of hand. And having just listened to an American Broadcast they appear to be having the same issues. The commentators point out quite rightly that we, the people need to make sure that once this situation is over, the powers handed to the police for now are stripped away again, otherwise we are verging on a police state. 

I have noticed that some areas and some police forces are more strict than others. I suppose there are many factors that can account for this but a better understanding of the new powers and restrictions are needed and I suppose its still early days yet. 

The panic buying seems to have calmed down. Let's hope that people's actions and the police's follow suit. 

1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

Trevs wet dream!

What are you on about? 

I was the first person on here  to mention the dangers involved in giving Police more powers.

Searching peoples shopping to see if they have only bought 'essentials'. Easter eggs are apparently a NO NO.

No Copper will confiscate my fin carre Dark Chocolate that I buy at Lidl for next to nowt, I am a Chocoholic.

2 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

What are you on about? 

I was the first person on here  to mention the dangers involved in giving Police more powers.

Searching peoples shopping to see if they have only bought 'essentials'. Easter eggs are apparently a NO NO.

No Copper will confiscate my fin carre Dark Chocolate that I buy at Lidl for next to nowt, I am a Chocoholic.

I'll do time for my Green and Blacks. 

It’s a low-key example of trigger happy policing.

Someone coughing on a service worker in this climate does need trying. Some people really need to stop bombing down the shop aisles like a ghost on Pac-Man. Pubs that stayed open that bit longer should be shut with a not-too-heavy fine. Workplaces that haven’t adapted their H&S should be legally challenged.

Buying fripperies that are available in shops like Easter Eggs? How’s that worse than a bag of spinach that might go off before you have half of it? A real lockdown diet should be perishables and essential staples only...

Likewise, Stephen Kinnock apparently visiting his dad Neil for his birthday, staying over 2m from him outside, leaving him provisions then going home after several minutes? To me the police wasted their time responding to that.

You do see quite a lot of flouting still, but the have-a-go-Stasi nature of publicly shaming, and policing behaviour that is by all accounts permissible is silly.

In every supermarket you go in there are easter eggs coming out of your ears so as long you're buying other stuff I don't see the problem. 

I lost my sense of smell and taste after suffering from the symptoms but they're slowly coming back now. Just add plenty of salt to soup etc if you catch the bug. But be careful if you suffer from high blood pressure. 

12 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

What are you on about? 

You can have my ration of choc. trev.:D

11 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

It’s a low-key example of trigger happy policing.

Someone coughing on a service worker in this climate does need trying. Some people really need to stop bombing down the shop aisles like a ghost on Pac-Man. Pubs that stayed open that bit longer should be shut with a not-too-heavy fine. Workplaces that haven’t adapted their H&S should be legally challenged.

Buying fripperies that are available in shops like Easter Eggs? How’s that worse than a bag of spinach that might go off before you have half of it? A real lockdown diet should be perishables and essential staples only...

Likewise, Stephen Kinnock apparently visiting his dad Neil for his birthday, staying over 2m from him outside, leaving him provisions then going home after several minutes? To me the police wasted their time responding to that.

You do see quite a lot of flouting still, but the have-a-go-Stasi nature of publicly shaming, and policing behaviour that is by all accounts permissible is silly.

It will be interesting to see the next set of crime figures. I would hope that we see a downturn in burglaries, muggings and car thefts, but correspondingly an increase in domestic violence and divorces.

At the same time the air we now all breath should be less polluted, especially in city centres and the carbon footprint of the country, with no planes flying, should be vastly improved.

37 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

What the hell are Green and Blacks. 

Posh Chocolate and very nice it is too. Sold at all National Trust cafes and shops. Normally treat myself to some when i visit Nostell Priory and Clumber Park. Alas Dear Steve all National Trust properties and Parks are closed due the current Coronavirus crisis. It is probably sold elsewhere but not sure where. Anyway given up chocolate for lent so eagerly waiting till Easter so I can become a chocoholic again.

45 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

What the hell are Green and Blacks. 

It's a brand of delicious chocolate Steve. They do quite a few flabours but it's mostly dark chocolate. 

Very high cocoa content which is a natural antioxidant. And that's my excuse for eating it. 

58 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

It will be interesting to see the next set of crime figures. I would hope that we see a downturn in burglaries, muggings and car thefts, but correspondingly an increase in domestic violence and divorces.

At the same time the air we now all breath should be less polluted, especially in city centres and the carbon footprint of the country, with no planes flying, should be vastly improved.

The thieves are not sleeping. I read a report yesterday that during the crisis some have been targeting old people offering to do their shopping and not returning with the goods or the money, some even obtaining the old folks bank cards.

12 minutes ago, dj funky said:

Now cold turkey because  finished my last Tiffin bar last night, really sad because they have only just started making it and been looking for it for the last 60 years.

Try the Ringtons tea man. They did do a fantastic Tiffin  but I think it is seasonal. Worth a look as they are still doing home deliveries and they have all sorts of goodies apart from tea and coffee.

4 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Who are the police to decide what essential items are? There are quite a lot of autistic people in this country try and some will only eat certain things. 

The police should go and have a word with the supermarkets then and not the consumers. It's the supermarkets who have filled their shelves with hundreds of Easter eggs. 

15 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

The police should go and have a word with the supermarkets then and not the consumers. It's the supermarkets who have filled their shelves with hundreds of Easter eggs. 

It's a bit like chasing drugs users and not the dealers....oh. that's normal isn't it!

Sure everyone seen the vid of the worlds thickest bobby trying to write up a criminal damage charge for bakery owner in London who chalked a 2 m line at intervals outside her bakery to adhere to the 2m ruling, all In chalk not lInt either 

Archived