Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dj funky

Shayman In Peace

Recommended Posts

Olive branch to the Rugby club, not doing anything tonight you might like to watch this Sporting Life  1963 Richard Harris which I believe some was filmed at Thrum Hall Talking Pictures Free view 81. 9.15, Nice to friends in these hard times, err for the time being.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dj funky said:

Olive branch to the Rugby club, not doing anything tonight you might like to watch this Sporting Life  1963 Richard Harris which I believe some was filmed at Thrum Hall Talking Pictures Free view 81. 9.15, Nice to friends in these hard times, err for the time being.

I had a look at the TV guide and I shall be watching this too. I think it was filmed at Belle Vue Wakefield. 

I've heard it's a good gritty film so I'll give it a go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dj funky said:

Olive branch to the Rugby club, not doing anything tonight you might like to watch this Sporting Life  1963 Richard Harris which I believe some was filmed at Thrum Hall Talking Pictures Free view 81. 9.15, Nice to friends in these hard times, err for the time being.

My uncle is in the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, eddies mate said:

You’re both right filmed at both venues.There is good footage of the old Thrum Hall in acting scenes but the games are filmed at Belle Vue.

They filmed it in Wakefield before the start of an official match.  They filmed a guy taking penalty kicks who took a few shots before he kicked one which hit the woodwork then they packed up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dj funky said:

We both gasped at the ending but what along movie, question from a football fan do they really play in all that mud?.

There's a scene in which I think it's filmed at Batley Variety Club and my uncle is playing the drums. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

There's a scene in which I think it's filmed at Batley Variety Club and my uncle is playing the drums. 

Not many today could imagine Batley once being home to the most popular variety club in The North.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Not many today could imagine Batley once being home to the most popular variety club in The North.

Yes what good nights were had there. World class stars, good beer and easy to get to from Halifax

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember going to see Shirley Bassey on a works do, some idiot golfers were talking at the bar when she was starting to sing  Something, what happened next, she just stopped and stared at them with a look that could do serious damage to any man, they looked so scared and soon shut up and she then  said thank you and started the song again which got her a great applause from the audience , don't mess with Shirley was the message loud and clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dj funky said:

Remember going to see Shirley Bassey on a works do, some idiot golfers were talking at the bar when she was starting to sing  Something, what happened next, she just stopped and stared at them with a look that could do serious damage to any man, they looked so scared and soon shut up and she then  said thank you and started the song again which got her a great applause from the audience , don't mess with Shirley was the message loud and clear.

After that episode she always insisted the bar was closed when she performed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bazza45 said:

Saw Olivia Newton John at Batley in the 70's.  One of my all time favourites

Stay off my babe bazza oh those eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

Not many today could imagine Batley once being home to the most popular variety club in The North.

It was a great night out, seen roy ordison, shirley bassey ,gene pitney ,pj probey, platters, and many more

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Janis said:

It was a great night out, seen roy ordison, shirley bassey ,gene pitney ,pj probey, platters, and many more

PJ Proby lived at Jerusalem farm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw PJ at a nightclub in Keighley , he come on stage 11.30 backed by a 4  piece band who was clueless and sang a couple of songs, he kept glaring at the band and you could tell he was not happy with them and the rowdy audience, then what happened next was unbelievable as he attempted to sing Somewhere he sacked the band and told them to get off the stage, told the audience to be quiet and started singing, it was spooky like a minute silence at a football game where every body behaved but this was a nightclub, he was brilliant but what guts with the crowd shouting for more he was gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Lived on Ovenden Way too I think. Still got family that live local. 

Was that not Jackie De Pres or something like that ??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dj funky said:

Stay off my babe bazza oh those eyes.

I mentioned her first so she's mine!  (drool, drool)

Also saw The Shadows there plus Del Shannon, although he would be in the twilight of his career by then.

An even better place was Palin's in the 60's.  Pearl had a knack of booking groups before they found fame but by the time they appeared they had hit the big time.  I remember seeing the Animals, The Kinks, Herman's Hermits and others I've forgotten about, possibly Wayne Fontana

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw Gilbert O Sullivan and the Searchers. Best of all Tommy Cooper who spent 10 minutes trying to get on the stage from behind the curtain Audience in hysterics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Champion Jack Dupree, blues pianist, used to live on Ovenden Way. Used to see his Cadillac parked outside his council house. Bizarre sight for a young lad!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chadders said:

Was that not Jackie De Pres or something like that ??

The jazz singer. Jack Dupree.

Edited by Steve Lanzarote
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bazza45 said:

I mentioned her first so she's mine!  (drool, drool)

Also saw The Shadows there plus Del Shannon, although he would be in the twilight of his career by then.

An even better place was Palin's in the 60's.  Pearl had a knack of booking groups before they found fame but by the time they appeared they had hit the big time.  I remember seeing the Animals, The Kinks, Herman's Hermits and others I've forgotten about, possibly Wayne Fontana

Had good times at Palins (correct spelling I believe.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...