Jump to content
Macam blue

lack of quality TV in this trying time

Recommended Posts

Hi all fellow Shaymen/Women. Genuinely hope you are all well & staying safe in these difficult times :)

I wondered if I am on my own in missing any sport whilst self isolating during the pandemic?

Would it not help our enforced hibernation if the BBC (or other channels) dug out some old footage of record breaking British achievements in sport & created a designated Channel to show such highlights? 

I for one would love to see the whole coverage of our World Cup Winning triumph of 1966 & think this would help spirits & relieve some of the boredom if promoted on a designated channel at a peak time so we can all relive the whole experience. This could take weeks of boredom away if handled correctly.

Also for me, to bring back an additional channel dedicated to old comedy series such as Love thy neighbour/please sir/George & Mildred etc & comedy series such as the carry on series or such light entertainment shows.

What would you like to see? or am I on my own re boring repeats of rubbish that is currently on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why international stations don't agree to do a content swap for a while, so people in different markets can enjoy something new.

ABC in America for example do a superb program called "What Would You Do?"  ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Would_You_Do%3F_(2008_TV_program) )  The premiss of the show is they will use actors to go out in public and play out a scene - like someone being racially abused, or a kid being bullied etc - to see how the public, who don't know they are actors, would react. 

NBC do a series called Dateline (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dateline_NBC ) which is an investigatory news series ; A bit like a mix between Tonight with Trevor McDonald (when that was good) and Crimewatch. It's been going on for 20+ years and even though its US based, its a very good watch.

I'd happily watch both those in lue of UK TV for a while. Hours of content on those two shows alone. There are probably tons more, already filmed content, that could be imported over here. We could do the same, sending Louis Theroux and Stacey Dooley documentaries and the like across the pond.

We have nothing like that over here. I use a VPN online so watch a lot of American / Australian / Canadian TV and there is a ton of good content out there that we simply don't get access to over here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty on sky and Netflix , seem to just time switching tv on with start of dads army re runs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are desperate for football, really desperate, I understand the Belarusian Premier League is being streamed on bookmaker's websites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

The BBC are missing a trick by not showing re-runs of Only Fools And Horses. 

I suppose it's not PC enough. 

I think they sold them of to "Dave"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macam blue said:

Hi all fellow Shaymen/Women. Genuinely hope you are all well & staying safe in these difficult times :)

I wondered if I am on my own in missing any sport whilst self isolating during the pandemic?

Would it not help our enforced hibernation if the BBC (or other channels) dug out some old footage of record breaking British achievements in sport & created a designated Channel to show such highlights? 

I for one would love to see the whole coverage of our World Cup Winning triumph of 1966 & think this would help spirits & relieve some of the boredom if promoted on a designated channel at a peak time so we can all relive the whole experience. This could take weeks of boredom away if handled correctly.

Also for me, to bring back an additional channel dedicated to old comedy series such as Love thy neighbour/please sir/George & Mildred etc & comedy series such as the carry on series or such light entertainment shows.

What would you like to see? or am I on my own re boring repeats of rubbish that is currently on?

ITV are running all thr games from the Euro 96 tournament via the ITV hub with the England games being shown on ITV4 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's up with you all? Corrie, Eastenders et al still going strong, and plenty of re-runs when they've finished the up to date ones!

Anybody tell me about TOWIE, Ibiza Weekender, Gogglebox and other things I've seen advertised but not watched?

Currently on Dukes of Hazzard, by the way.

Edited by kit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Icke's Lizard said:

The BBC are missing a trick by not showing re-runs of Only Fools And Horses. 

I suppose it's not PC enough. 

same with 'love thy neighbour' and 'it ain't half hot mum'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rdj said:

same with 'love thy neighbour' and 'it ain't half hot mum'

To be fair, they havent aged well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I think all channels will soon be desperately digging out anything they can lay their hands on . I seriously worry how long Rachel Riley can stay pregnant for

If she needs a hand I’m a willing volunteer!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Thursday 9th of April there is a brand new feature length episode of Red Dwarf. Until then, I'm making my way through five series of Better Call Saul. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Che Bentos said:

On Thursday 9th of April there is a brand new feature length episode of Red Dwarf. Until then, I'm making my way through five series of Better Call Saul. 

Just done series 1 of Better Call Saul , he was good in Breaking Bad but excellent in this .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Che Bentos said:

On Thursday 9th of April there is a brand new feature length episode of Red Dwarf. Until then, I'm making my way through five series of Better Call Saul. 

The last bit sounds good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

10pm every night on Channel 10, Scott & Bailey. Surranne Jones, why wouldn't you?

I see she lives in Calderdale now. Surranne Jones. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I see she lives in Calderdale now. Surranne Jones. 

I thought the air was more fragrant these days. Of course it could be better if Tamsin Outhwaite moved in somewhere nearby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...