Shaymus

Ice skating at The Shay in 1963

Re cycle speedway odd it died out, competitive exercise, bikes readily available & tracks not rocket science to build. Then again Xboxes and computer games a much easier option:rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, chadders said:

Pip Serbert, think he was British Champion one year?

Makes you wonder where they all are now, as I pointed out earlier it was so popular how did it die out so completely. Seem to recollect some lads raced a circuit of the Shay track in the sixties the bikes where so low geared & the track so big they were completely cream crackered at the end.

1 minute ago, Roy Race said:

Makes you wonder where they all are now, as I pointed out earlier it was so popular how did it die out so completely. Seem to recollect some lads raced a circuit of the Shay track in the sixties the bikes where so low geared & the track so big they were completely cream crackered at the end.

I seem to remember that during one of the speedway meetings.

The man who thought up the idea of ice skating at The Shay  was Halifax Town secretary Norman Howe. His death was announced in the Halifax Courier today. He was 93.

Howe, Norman.jpg

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, Shaymus said:

The man who thought up the idea of ice skating at The Shay  was Halifax Town secretary Norman Howe. His death was announced in the Halifax Courier today. He was 93.

Howe, Norman.jpg

What a sad coincidence. 

35 minutes ago, townmad said:

Just about to show the skating on Calendar.

I know ITV are lagging behind other channels when it comes to sport but showing coverage of ice skating from the Shay in the 1960's isn't going to draw big crowds and is a tad late in airing. 

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2020 at 8:01 PM, Papa Lazarou said:

http://www.cyclespeedwayhistory.org.uk/1919.shtml

I can remember going to watch the cycle speedway at Boothtown with my Grandad 

there was track at hipperholme too -not a bad set up -bottom corner of the council estate- Hipperholme Hearts -doesn't get a mention in that article though