Shaymus

Ice skating at The Shay in 1963

2 hours ago, Shaymus said:

How did you get to hear about it? Was it word of mouth or was there something in the Green Final?

Think it was in the Courier but I'm sure the jungle drums beat.

Amazing how many on here were from Ovenden/Illingworth, also used legs to save money. I know it's more difficult nowadays but doubt kids would do what we did anyway. Take beer bottles back or collect scrap for spending money anyone?

Another point re supporters locations is it was a working man's game

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Think it was in the Courier but I'm sure the jungle drums beat.

Amazing how many on here were from Ovenden/Illingworth, also used legs to save money. I know it's more difficult nowadays but doubt kids would do what we did anyway. Take beer bottles back or collect scrap for spending money anyone?

Another point re supporters locations is it was a working man's game

Kids and legs do they still have them.:lol:

3 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Kids and legs do they still have them.:lol:

If we survive this I'm sure they will be evolved out & the hand will just have texting fingers.

1 hour ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Goodness me Mr c within 100 yards.

Aye folk coming down from Furness Drive used to cut through our side garden - much to my dad's annoyance - to go on Furness Gardens and down the Snicket onto Turner Avenue.

3 minutes ago, chadders said:

Aye folk coming down from Furness Drive used to cut through our side garden - much to my dad's annoyance - to go on Furness Gardens and down the Snicket onto Turner Avenue.

You lived opposite the Ainsworths?

16 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

You lived opposite the Ainsworths?

Name does not ring a bell we there from 1960 - 71.

47 minutes ago, chadders said:

Name does not ring a bell we there from 1960 - 71.

Two brothers deffo there in 61/62 they live top side next to snicket. one of them was very muscular. I lived at 34 TAS until 63

This was before my time ( I was only 3) 

but my father told me they got the fire brigade down and used their hoses to flood the pitch to get a better surface 

1 hour ago, Nick said:

This was before my time ( I was only 3) 

but my father told me they got the fire brigade down and used their hoses to flood the pitch to get a better surface 

It's no wonder the pitch is garbage now is it.

• Haha 1

It must have been a thing for teenagers who watched the Shay. My mates and I walked from West Vale and back. On a Saturday we called at a café on the top corner of Salterhebble hill for a pot of tea and a toasted currant teacake (it would have been cheaper to have got the bus). When we got a bit older we swapped the café for the 3 pigs.

10 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

That would be a bloody miracle I´m about 20 years older than Mr. c.

Mr C.  If I was you I would get DNA tested you must distance yourself from Lanzo ASAP. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Two brothers deffo there in 61/62 they live top side next to snicket. one of them was very muscular. I lived at 34 TAS until 63

Did you live near an old mate of mine Peter Marsh.  Lovely bloke lost touch with him May years ago.  Was a very good goalkeeper. 

I think the main reason most of us walked everywhere was because our parents did not have cars - well mine never did all the time I was growing up.

We also did things in our spare time which engendered a sense of self sufficiency. For me, first of all it was the Cubs (Illingworth St Mary's) followed by the Boys Brigade (Lee Mount) and then the Army Cadets (Duke of Boots). We never really had  Youth Clubs or anything organised by anyone outside of the immediate circle of family/friends/neighbours/mates, so if you wanted something you had to do it yourself.  

When we lived up off Queens Road all the teenagers/kids in the area pulled together and built our own cycle speedway track in what was the old train sidings. When we moved to Illingworth we organised our own football team and went all over Halifax playing other groups of kids who were in the same boat. There were no organised junior football leagues back then.

So, an event like the Shay being frozen over would just have been seen as an other opportunity to turn a bad thing into something positive. What kids today would have made of it I can only guess - they would probably expect  pop up German Market or heated marquee to get changed in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Myself and some mates used to walk down to Mixy youth club every week. We also started a football team at the club.  We also built a cycle speedway at the back of Illingworth Moor Church.  They were the good days.  

We used to make bonfires on public land, tree houses and bike tracks in all the unused fields around the housing estates.... these days that kind of thing would be classed as antisocial behaviour and those generations that did that kind of stuff themselves would be the ones complaining!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

That would be a bloody miracle I´m about 20 years older than Mr. c.

You must have got your letter from the Queen if yours 20 years older than Chadders

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ColinCanberra said:

Myself and some mates used to walk down to Mixy youth club every week. We also started a football team at the club.  We also built a cycle speedway at the back of Illingworth Moor Church.  They were the good days.  

There was also a small speedway track at the top of Page Hill, but the best local track was the one Mixenden Diamonds had, although the top track in Halifax was the one at Woodside, very professional that one. From what I remember the Mixenden team had quite a few over 20's riding in it including one who was the local milk man. All of this done with no grants/subsidies or any Council input.

We also used to go to Mixy Youth Club, up near the reservoir, to play 5 side in door football. That was quite competitive.... :huh:

Edited by ITMAN

9 hours ago, ColinCanberra said:

Did you live near an old mate of mine Peter Marsh.  Lovely bloke lost touch with him May years ago.  Was a very good goalkeeper. 

Not that I know of Colin. Name does not ring a bell.

8 hours ago, ITMAN said:

There was also a small speedway track at the top of Page Hill, but the best local track was the one Mixenden Diamonds had, although the top track in Halifax was the one at Woodside, very professional that one. From what I remember the Mixenden team had quite a few over 20's riding in it including one who was the local milk man. All of this done with no grants/subsidies or any Council input.

We also used to go to Mixy Youth Club, up near the reservoir, to play 5 side in door football. That was quite competitive.... :huh:

Remember the Page Hill track well spent many happy hours there 

13 minutes ago, chadders said:

Well that squashes the rumour that the only happy hour your into involves Brown falling down water :o

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chadders said:

Was the team called the Furness Flyers?

On 3/24/2020 at 11:39 AM, Steve Lanzarote said:

Did not enter the human race till 1963.

3 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Was the team called the Furness Flyers?

Did not realise there was a team there but it would have been mid 70's when I started messing around there.