Ice skating at The Shay in 1963

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is that where you did your knee Chadders ?

Is that Kit with his bucket looking over the wall ?

Ha, I had you or @eddie to be first to attempt this "witty" remark. You did not let me down.

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, kit said:

I took part, although it was sliding about on my shoes and not on skates. Does this count?

Wish I'd have known. The skating episode to be featured on Calendar, probably tomorrow. 

38 minutes ago, kit said:

I took part, although it was sliding about on my shoes and not on skates. Does this count?

Similar, myself & several mates, it was all quite surreal to say the least. We walked from Ovenden & back.

32 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Similar, myself & several mates, it was all quite surreal to say the least. We walked from Ovenden & back.

I would have thought you would have slid down Lee Bank into Town...getting back up might have been a problem though.

40 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

I also walked from Ovenden but I only watched other people falling over.  As a kid I used to walk from Ovenden get in at halftime free then walk home again.  

39 minutes ago, ColinCanberra said:

I also walked from Ovenden but I only watched other people falling over.  As a kid I used to walk from Ovenden get in at halftime free then walk home again.  

We lived up on Furness Drive, so it was always a walk into town to save the bus fare for other things. When Town played away games I used to go to Ovenden Park, where I sold programs and helped guide cars to park. I remember watching one game where one of the Halifax forwards had to come off with blood streaming out of a head wound. The St John's medic cleaned him up and stitched the wound up so he could go back on, with no anesthetic of any type. They were hard buggers some of them.

Best part used to be that we could go in the clubhouse afterwards and once the players had eaten their fill from the buffet they laid on we could fill our boots with the left over sandwiches etc.

Happy days.

8 hours ago, Roy Race said:

How did you get to hear about it? Was it word of mouth or was there something in the Green Final?

14 minutes ago, ColinCanberra said:

When I returned to Halifax I lived in Myrtle Drive. Does that mean we were neighbours 

Used to go out with Cynthia Code from Myrtle Drive and a mates Malcolm Siddal & Allan Armstrong both lived down Myrtle Drive.