Sign in to follow this  
Shayite 432

WHEN FOOTBALL WAS PROPER: 01/11/1975 Derby County v Leeds United

I had that Leeds away kit and the home kit. My older cousin is a Leeds fan and my Auntie gave them to my Mum for me to wear to play footie in. So for a very short time I was a Leeds fan and they were my first football kits. 

I soon saw the light though and followed The Shaymen. 

Yes Norman did like to dish it out but was not always as good when being on the receiving end.

Off the field he was a bit of a pussycat. The Variety Club of GB used to run a football competition for kids from poor backgrounds in Bradford/Wakefield/Huddersfield area. The finals were always held in Leeds, so for a few years I was asked to be one of the referees for the finals day. The coaches for the teams were made up of ex-Leeds players such as Norman, Paul Reaney, Duncan MacKenzie and a few others. They were all brilliant with the kids, about 10-12 year olds, and they always stayed right to the end and were more than happy to sign things have their picture taken, and there was always a good bit of banter between the ex-players.

2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Duncan MacKenzie early part of his career looked as though he was going to be the next Pele or Eusabio but sadly fizzled away.

An excellent after dinner speaker.

12 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Yes Norman did like to dish it out but was not always as good when being on the receiving end.

Off the field he was a bit of a pussycat. The Variety Club of GB used to run a football competition for kids from poor backgrounds in Bradford/Wakefield/Huddersfield area. The finals were always held in Leeds, so for a few years I was asked to be one of the referees for the finals day. The coaches for the teams were made up of ex-Leeds players such as Norman, Paul Reaney, Duncan MacKenzie and a few others. They were all brilliant with the kids, about 10-12 year olds, and they always stayed right to the end and were more than happy to sign things have their picture taken, and there was always a good bit of banter between the ex-players.

Not condoning any of this, but Hunter had already split Lee's lip off camera in the initial scuffle. Having both been sent off, Lee took Hunter by surprise, and that's why he was reeling, as anybody would do. Leeds were often labelled as dirty, and 'cheat' was a word often associated with them, but let's be honest, Franny Lee was the biggest diver in the game at the time, as seen in this clip when Derby were awarded a penalty. That's what started the whole episode, as Lee had gone down again in the second half, leading to the first altercation. Hunter talks about this in his book. He said something to Lee and they squared up, so Hunter hit Lee before Lee hit him. On the way off the pitch, none of Lee's blows actually landed, so to assume Hunter got a good seeing to, as many have suggested on social media, is a bit wide of the mark. Hunter was a hard tackler - not a fighter. Franny Lee was a poacher in the box and a penalty expert - scoring them ('Lee-one pen' as it would say in the classified results in the papers) as well as winning them. When they appeared before an FA Commission, Hunter was let off and Lee handed a four game ban and a £200 fine. Not sure of the state of their relationship after, but for many years they had been team mates for England. 

4 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Duncan MacKenzie early part of his career looked as though he was going to be the next Pele or Eusabio but sadly fizzled away.

He should have played in the 1975 European Cup Final, but Jimmy Armfield gave the old boys one last 'hurrah' and McKenzie was left on the bench.  

Much the same as Peter Marinello - rumoured to be the "next George Best". The move from Scottish football to the English 1st Div did not go as planned.

8 hours ago, ITMAN said:

Much the same as Peter Marinello - rumoured to be the "next George Best". The move from Scottish football to the English 1st Div did not go as planned.

Looked the bees knees whilst playing in Scotland.

Oh how I miss true football like this. This is the style of football I was bought up on and today's game whilst more technically gifted doesn't have the same blood and thunder approach to it. Most modern day footballers couldn't have coped in a game like that.

What I was surprised with was the speed the game appeared to be played at, both teams attacking at speed and getting the ball from end to end. It was in no way "kick and rush".

It compares very well with what we see today in the higher divisions with the emphasis on possession, which leads to lots of sideways and backwards passes. Oh, that sounds like what we see down the Shay, but without any end result! 

2 hours ago, ITMAN said:

What I was surprised with was the speed the game appeared to be played at, both teams attacking at speed and getting the ball from end to end. It was in no way "kick and rush".

It compares very well with what we see today in the higher divisions with the emphasis on possession, which leads to lots of sideways and backwards passes. Oh, that sounds like what we see down the Shay, but without any end result! 

……………………….. apart from being in a play off position ;)

4 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

Mainly due to the inconsistency in all the other  play off chasing teams.

but it's still the end result

True, it's where we end up in the table not how we got there. If we go up no-one will remember the drubbings against Yeovil and Stockport, the bad run between September and Christmas in time.

2 hours ago, Shaymen2008 said:

Mainly due to the inconsistency in all the other  play off chasing teams.

Nonsense.

The table is determined by the number of points awarded, highest points towards the top, lowest towards the bottom. You are not deducted points for inconsistencies, therefore we have better results than those below us.

7 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Nonsense.

The table is determined by the number of points awarded, highest points towards the top, lowest towards the bottom. You are not deducted points for inconsistencies, therefore we have better results than those below us.

What I meant by my post was that when we have lost games others around us have lost and this alone has helped keep us in a play off place. 

This season we went on a crap run from September until Christmas and yet we remained in the playoffs. 

Last season we went in a crap run between September and Christmas yet we ended up around mid table.

The difference being last season the teams at the top were more consistent in picking up points unlike this season.