Sign in to follow this  
Papa Lazarou

National League meeting

6 minutes ago, greg45 said:

“Slough-it” is definitely the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced from having played many cricket matches there over the years, my Dad having worked there also for a time.

Definitely pronounced like that. I've got family that have lived there and at Marsden. 

5 minutes ago, greg45 said:

“Slough-it” is definitely the only way I’ve ever heard it pronounced from having played many cricket matches there over the years, my Dad having worked there also for a time.

Perhaps I should have spelt it that way as mine could be translated as slow as in slow it down. Slough-it is better.

Be careful though as Brough is Bruff in East Yorks.:)

17 minutes ago, greg45 said:

That is exactly the same spelling/phonic example I would and should have used. 

11 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

That is exactly the same spelling/phonic example I would and should have used. 

Correcto 

That's how he pronounced it Slough it .A few places where the spelling is different to how it sounds .

Keighley ....Keithley 

Sowerby .....Sorbey.

Burnley ........Shithole .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The National League has voted to immediately end the season due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The league held a board meeting yesterday and decided to vote in favour of declaring the season null and void with immediate effect,

Bosses are now in crunch talks with the FA in a bid to get them to ratify the decision, as well as confirming the current places to decide who is promoted and who is relegated.

If the FA agree, then the National League would become the highest level of football to be declared null and void in the UK - following an announcement on Tuesday that steps 5 and 6 of football are over.

3 minutes ago, rdj said:

The National League has voted to immediately end the season due to the coronavirus outbreak.

The league held a board meeting yesterday and decided to vote in favour of declaring the season null and void with immediate effect,

Bosses are now in crunch talks with the FA in a bid to get them to ratify the decision, as well as confirming the current places to decide who is promoted and who is relegated.

If the FA agree, then the National League would become the highest level of football to be declared null and void in the UK - following an announcement on Tuesday that steps 5 and 6 of football are over.

Town beleave so as I have just been asked and paid the goal ometer sponsorship.

3 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Town beleave so as I have just been asked and paid the goal ometer sponsorship.

Further quote from same article -

Current leaders Barrow, along with second placed Harrogate Town, would be promoted to League Two, while AFC Fylde and Chorley would be relegated to the National League North.

However, the situation could change further as League Two would have 26 teams next season if the Football League campaign fails to be completed and if nobody is promoted or relegated.

Can´t see how L2 can go up to 26 teams. Wish we had invested in Oct and maintained a 1sr or 2nd position.. Bet Yeovil get their extra parachute payment as well. Next season will be far harder than this one with Yoevil,Notts, Stockport  feeling their feet now and Stevenage coming down, doubt we will have the same chance as this season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Can´t see how L2 can go up to 26 teams. Wish we had invested in Oct and maintained a 1sr or 2nd position.. Bet Yeovil get their extra parachute payment as well. Next season will be far harder than this one with Yoevil,Notts, Stockport  feeling their feet now and Stevenage coming down, doubt we will have the same chance as this season.

Despite them being there for years, I’ve never seen Stevenage as a football league club.

Expect them to stay down once they come down, much like Crawley and the like.

A southern league London commuter town club who had a bit of a cash injection without getting too far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mj85 said:

Despite them being there for years, I’ve never seen Stevenage as a football league club.

Expect them to stay down once they come down, much like Crawley and the like.

A southern league London commuter town club who had a bit of a cash injection without getting too far. 

Dagenham another one. 

12 minutes ago, kit said:

It will be interesting how the EFL plan to return to the same number of teams before Bury were thrown out and this could be one way of resolving it. Are there many in the National League who would begrudge Barrow being "promoted" in this manner?

Not many. Over the course of the season they have been the most consistent team. They have held the top spot longer than anyone else so it would be fitting if they replaced Bury.

There more recent form hasn’t been as consistent so I wouldn’t have been surprised if they hadn’t won the league. However, if a team were to be promoted, however they work it out, it would have to be them.

regarding the ‘vacant place’ in league 2 the precedent is for 1 team less to be relegated.

Barrow just started a really tough run of games and had started dropping the points. They wouldn’t have won the league and they won’t if it completes. I’m confident of that. Notts County or Boreham Wood would have.

Whilst its scenic going up to Barrow, its not a nice place to spend an afternoon, the ground isn't the best and its simply not one of the teams that stands out for a good day. They also never bring enough to The Shay to get us a "payday", so with that in mind, I'd rather lose them than a team like Notts County, who would boost our gate and have more of an occasion when we play them. 

3 hours ago, Flea said:

Whilst its scenic going up to Barrow, its not a nice place to spend an afternoon, the ground isn't the best and its simply not one of the teams that stands out for a good day. They also never bring enough to The Shay to get us a "payday", so with that in mind, I'd rather lose them than a team like Notts County, who would boost our gate and have more of an occasion when we play them. 

We've missed out on a decent payday against them this season though. They would have brought over 1000.

7 hours ago, Flea said:

Not sure about that whilst they’ve never really travelled to the shay they’re sort of near enough to bring a big following if needs be, they were talking of bringing up to 2000 on good Friday 

• Like 1

Of Barrow’s remaining games they still had to play 4 teams that have already beaten them this season, one of these is second place Harrogate so those 4 points could easily disappear. My own personal view is that if the season isn’t finished then promotion and relegation should be scrapped. Either way will be opening a legal minefield. 

If we had still had a tight run in then I would have expected a bigger crowd due to both away support and increased support from the home side, as we would have been pushing for 3rd spot, if things were still going to plan.:)