Sign in to follow this  
Papa Lazarou

National League meeting

I can't see how this would work. If National League cancels but EFL does not, we would be left with an extended break when they start up again. There would have to be a finacial incentive to do this.

Why do they feel the need to make such a rushed decision - no one know how long it's going to be until football is allowed again do they? Or do some clubs have contract ending mid April immediately after the season has finished?

If that's the case I can see why they need to make a decision faster than the EFL - but if they just throw this season away and go for a completely clean slate next season then I think that is criminal. There's plenty they could do - finish this season once everything restarts, combine the points for this season with next, use some formula to work out how much of a head-start teams get for next season based on this unfinished one, etc. etc.

To just pretend it never happened is very unfair, and I'd be saying the same if we weren't in the playoffs (probably...).

4 hours ago, vinnyweknuts said:

In fairness the club has well rehearsed plans for an extended summer shutdown with no activity #MrBresilience 

Yes, but not for a shut down, start up and then shut down again scenario, before we get to pre-season issues.

2 hours ago, greg45 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52023754

Someone explain that one to me - the parachute payments are to help keep your club afloat, not to fund a promotion tilt. Ridiculous.

They are taking the piss to put it bluntly. To provide them with a further payment would be the biggest insult for all of the teams in the National League who have tried to keep their house in order.

1 hour ago, mj85 said:

Players turning up and going home in their kit? Not showering? No team talks? No tackling? Not allowed within two metres of each other to close players down or intercept passes? No physio treatment for potential injuries? Total non contact?

Yeah, can see that one working. 

Just keep the players tested it only means a few games played ..as we have more or less played the same number already.. 

then draw it to a close and make decisions on who goes up or down 

all possible to do by the end of June 

Nick 

League season to be ended. If so we should sue. We're being robbed of the chance of promotion via the play offs, unlikely as that may be but we paid a league subscription on the understanding that those in 2-7 th place would have the chance of promotion.

I know theres bigger fish to fry at the moment but it's a farce.

As many of you will know, The National League held a Board discussion yesterday (Monday), which was the third such meeting in 11 days.  The broad consensus was that our Clubs wish for a decision to be made to close the season as soon as possible. 

The National League attended a further meeting last night (by video conference) with The Football Association, and The FA have been asked to assist us with making the decisions to officially postpone all remaining National League fixtures and to end the season as soon as possible for the purposes of player contracts.

The National League is also working with the FA to define all reasonable and practical options for the determination of the 2019/20 season, and to provide guidance to Clubs on dealing with player contracts, player registrations and the application of the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. We will continue to press for updates and will ensure that any further information is relayed to Clubs as soon as it is received.

The League is very aware that Clubs are looking for answers and greater certainty, and we remain focused on delivering these in the most timely manner possible. Please keep the flow of information going with the League’s Directors and staff, and be assured that we will respond as soon as we can when updates are available on the various issues.

Finally, thank you to all Clubs for submitting financial questionnaires. The data and comments have been reported to The Football Association, and we will continue to press for urgent additional assistance to be made available to National League and other non-league clubs.

Above all we wish everyone a safe and healthy passage through these turbulent times. 

The National League statement to all clubs 

1 hour ago, greg45 said:

Why do they feel the need to make such a rushed decision - no one know how long it's going to be until football is allowed again do they? Or do some clubs have contract ending mid April immediately after the season has finished?

If that's the case I can see why they need to make a decision faster than the EFL - but if they just throw this season away and go for a completely clean slate next season then I think that is criminal. There's plenty they could do - finish this season once everything restarts, combine the points for this season with next, use some formula to work out how much of a head-start teams get for next season based on this unfinished one, etc. etc.

To just pretend it never happened is very unfair, and I'd be saying the same if we weren't in the playoffs (probably...).

I dont think you can say its a rushed decision Greg45, and it's certainly not a decision that has been made lightly. Taking away the seriousness of the situation that we find ourselves in generally, look at the wider picture. Not only are the sports events at risk but look at the Bookies, how is all that going to pan out. There are going to be millions of pounds in wiped out bets, you might get your stake back but your not gonna be happy if you stood to win a fortune/few quid. But the reality is all this academic in our current situation. 

There is still a month of the normal season to run ... why rush it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Especially as most contracts run to the end of may.. 

Edited by Nick

10 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

According to Donald Trump last night it will all be over by Easter.:doh: 

I'd take him being a smug git telling us "I told you so" come Easter right now tbf. 

It would be a good trade off. 

1 hour ago, Nick said:

There is still a month of the normal season to run ... why rush it 

I agree.  They could have waited a few weeks yet before coming to a decision

https://www.borehamwoodfootballclub.co.uk/uncategorized/response-to-league-statement/

"Basically the National League are saying, that it is shut down for now, but it does want to find any way possible to finish this season and they would in an ideal world, like to restart and finish this season’s league program between say June, July, August or even September of this year, government guidelines permitting."

Edited by joebloggs

6 hours ago, Sparrow said:

If the seasons void then torquay away wasnt a waste of £1000 +...can I claim it back?

What extras did you have wth your hotel booking?

• Haha 3

If the league ends now, if you are a season ticket holder, would you be happy to write off the lost games to help the club?

On a personal POV, I would. 

9 hours ago, Sparrow said:

If the seasons void then torquay away wasnt a waste of £1000 +...can I claim it back?

Unfortunately, you won't be able to as in theory it never happened:)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flea said:

I'd take him being a smug git telling us "I told you so" come Easter right now tbf. 

It would be a good trade off. 

It would be an acceptable trade off in the circumstances.

39 minutes ago, Flea said:

If the league ends now, if you are a season ticket holder, would you be happy to write off the lost games to help the club?

On a personal POV, I would. 

Yes, same deal next season and a voucher for a corporate would be compensation a plenty ;)

2 hours ago, Riders of Rohan said:

What a lump of wood the Boreham Wood chairman is.

He thinks he is so clever and writes as though he thinks the rest of us are as dumb as donkeys.

I have read the statement from the BHW Chairman and though it is a touch condescending in it's nature it is still a fair and accurate description of  his understanding of the National League position. As a chairman of a National League club he has access to more information than we do and has insights, gained from his lengthy association with the club and league, as well as shared contacts which will give him "inside" information. 

It is far better than anything on the FC Halifax Town website which appears to have not been updated for at least a week.

Providing in depth information about the position the league and our club in is paramount to help allay the fears and concerns of the supporters and helps to prevent "fake news" being promulgated on forums such as this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Yes, same deal next season and a voucher for a corporate would be compensation a plenty ;)

Ooh, sell your soul for a 3 course meal and a free program. You will be wanting free parking thrown in as well:D