Sign in to follow this  
Twisted Wheel

Shay Shut Down

3 hours ago, Flea said:

Yeah we have a staff app that give us our delivery info. The regular one all staff has has the penned in delivery. Those that deal with the stock have further access that actually gives us a break down of what to expect. The difference is shocking. 

Our shelves are empty. They aren't getting full any time soon. The desired stock is coming in, but in very low numbers.

Don't worry, Flea. The panic buyers' attics and garages should be about full by now.

13 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Would you trust a vaccination that isn't properly trialled and has a fast tracked license ?

No.

We should learn from history. Take the Spanish Flu pandemic (1918-20). This came in 3 waves not jut 1.

We have it bad now in the northern hemisphere with lower rates of cases in the southern hemisphere. We have been told that the government are trying to flatten the curve of the pandemic by delaying the onset in the hope that an improvement in the weather will aid with decreasing the spread of the virus. By the same logic this means it will then ramp up in the southern hemisphere, as their summer ends.

Just when we think we have overcome the virus, due to the wonders of modern transport systems, we are then at risk of re-infection from our friends in the South, thus triggering off another wave.As we have not yet had a reliable source confirm whether you can catch the virus more than once we are still stumbling around in the dark.. 

13 hours ago, Greggs said:

Today has been up there with my most upsetting day of employment. There is now more that we dont have than what we do have. Seeing the elderly walking around looking longingly at there list that they need. We have now limited no more than 3 of anything in our store but it's just not cutting it. We simply cant get the stock. I fail to see how we will still be open at the weekend if this Carries on 

Luckily I have only been abused a couple of times because of this others have suffered a lot more. 

Seeing people walk through the door with big trollies and knowing they will leave with barely anything, no food for babies. No formula. I could have cried a couple of times today myself 

Supermarkets are 100% to blame for all this. They should not have been allowed to panic buy in the 1st place. Just been to Tesco, s in Brighouse complete an utter joke. 

No bread, milk, loo rolls, washing powder etc. 

Yet the greedy **** are still allowing them to buy up to 3 of these items at one time.

Really sad in this difficult time that people are out there to make a quick buck.. 

My mom's Asda delivery this morning was about £90. With everything that's missing, it's come in at £42, and £2 of the that is the delivery charge.

This is where the just in time supply chain fails, will lessons be learned. Maybe classed as a little Englander but time to be self sufficient wherever possible again, bog rolls don't need to come from Outer Mongolia.

• Like 1

The ultimate panic buying award goes to those who are buying a second fridge freezer .

1 hour ago, Roy Race said:

This is where the just in time supply chain fails, will lessons be learned. Maybe classed as a little Englander but time to be self sufficient wherever possible again, bog rolls don't need to come from Outer Mongolia.

Roy.. you are so right. I used to work in a J.I.T. ( just in time) environment (as many others do)

We used to call it T.F.L.  

Most bog rolls used in the UK are made in the UK. At least that's what it said on the BBC. But the point about JIT is valid nonetheless. You have to remember though that that's how we consumers want it. We want to be able to choose from three different types of crab paste, three different brands of beans, etc. We want choices, fresh food and great prices, and these things require JIT. Warehousing costs money, business rates, staff to rotate stock by date, etc. It's not just supermarkets, even manufacturing businesses utilise JIT. It allows them to change decisions and designs at an instant's notice without needing to get rid of a costly supply chain full of stock. If JIT disappears then prices will climb quite considerably.

All loo rolls are made in the Uk there is a big factory in Oldham (sure there is a joke somewhere)

More importantly the UK does not have a facility for manufacturing a vaccine 

1 hour ago, monk said:

The ultimate panic buying award goes to those who are buying a second fridge freezer .

On GMTV Piers Morgan has been very vocal about the virus for several weeks. He opined very clearly decrying people for bulk buying and leaving others short. Then in a bizarre twist, probably without thinking before putting his mouth in gear openly admitted that that's what his wife had done.

17 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

90 bodies the stadium can hold, presume in the concrete walkway under the South Stand. Hazmat suits etc apparently already on site. 

And if you believe the Chinese whispers around town, portable refrigeration units to follow. Somebody said it's like a morgue down there the best of times. Sickening to think about it. 

2 hours ago, Bill Atkins said:

Just read on the Stainland and district website that the only shop in Holywell Green has put the price of milk up by a substantial margin. Profiteering should be punished with a massive fine and people should boycott the shop

That doesnt supprise me,I come from the area

1 hour ago, Bill Atkins said:

All loo rolls are made in the Uk there is a big factory in Oldham (sure there is a joke somewhere)

Using bog rolls as an example could be any product that could be home produced.

The vaccine production is mirrored in many items we have abdicated to manufacture elsewhere......making things is not us anymore, think all the people who did were at Sainsbury's 7.30 this morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janis said:

That doesnt supprise me,I come from the area

Might be the supplier who's jacked up the price.

3 hours ago, Bill Atkins said:

What are you basing that comment on Bill ?

Pharmaceutical R&D and production is one of the few areas where we still maintain a presence. I accept that the vaccine isn't ready to be produced yet, however, there is no evidence to suggest that we couldn't produce one here if we had the opportunity.

2 minutes ago, Norm said:

What are you basing that comment on Bill ?

Pharmaceutical R&D and production is one of the few areas where we still maintain a presence. I accept that the vaccine isn't ready to be produced yet, however, there is no evidence to suggest that we couldn't produce one here if we had the opportunity.

The companies are no longer British owned but I'd have thought facilities would still exist in Huddersfied to do this sort of thing

13 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

The companies are no longer British owned but I'd have thought facilities would still exist in Huddersfied to do this sort of thing

Ok, that's what I understand. I accept the point about ownership model, in a similar way to car manufacturers they are generally under foreign control but I didn't think that they had scaled back the facilities.

Correct, me if I am wrong but GSK is still however a UK company? 

33 minutes ago, Norm said:

Ok, that's what I understand. I accept the point about ownership model, in a similar way to car manufacturers they are generally under foreign control but I didn't think that they had scaled back the facilities.

Correct, me if I am wrong but GSK is still however a UK company? 

I'd have to check but I think GSK are now French American but may have moved even further afield

The Acca has decided to shutake down temporarily. 

I don't want people losing their job but if this virus finally sees the death of that eyesore then I'll be happy tbh. The place needs bulldozing because it looks scruffy, it's a drain on Saturday night resources, the amount that of chewing gum on the pavement the outside is unsightly. 

• Like 1