Sign in to follow this  
Twisted Wheel

Shay Shut Down

Cannot see the stadium being used as a morgue. Reason why? OK, in Italy, where it has been bad, only 2,978 have died to this point (although 1 is too many). If you then take a look that on average 17,000 per year die in the UK of flu. Obviously this is a winter illness so most deaths will be concentrated mainly over the winter months. Yet temporary morgues are not set up each winter.

So either the government (which I dont believe they do) think we are going to get it worse than Italy, and worse than the usual flu, in a very quick period of time, then I dont buy it.

3 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Cannot see the stadium being used as a morgue. Reason why? OK, in Italy, where it has been bad, only 2,978 have died to this point (although 1 is too many). If you then take a look that on average 17,000 per year die in the UK of flu. Obviously this is a winter illness so most deaths will be concentrated mainly over the winter months. Yet temporary morgues are not set up each winter.

So either the government (which I dont believe they do) think we are going to get it worse than Italy, and worse than the usual flu, in a very quick period of time, then I dont buy it.

90 bodies the stadium can hold, presume in the concrete walkway under the South Stand. Hazmat suits etc apparently already on site. 

Edited by Papa Lazarou

My daughter's test came back negative today so we've been self-isolating since Friday for no reason (well, not no reason, but you know...). We got the news at 11.20am, which meant we could re-join society for a full 40 minutes before the Belgian shut down at noon. Surprisingly the creche we use is remaining open because it hosts the kids of some supposed key people, but I'm keeping them home just to reduce the chances that any of us fall victim. We've been out for walks around the neighbourhood, careful to avoid other people, but otherwise we've been lucky enough to have been able to bunker down at home, relying on Amazon and other deliveries to keep us going.

I think what scares me more than the figures being banded about is the thought that maybe we're not being told the full story. Seeing governments all around the world reacting so quickly and so differently to this compared to how they reacted to SARS and so on, makes me a little paranoid that we're only just entering the beginning of what's to come, and that information is being drip fed to us.

Even assuming that the west manages to ride out the peak, that the various health structures hold out and somehow deal with the worst of it, life will likely be different going forward. Governments will need to prepare contingency plans for the next corona virus. Supply lines, trips abroad, etc. may all see significant changes. It's potentially a historical moment with the chance to change the future quite drastically, even if 100,000s don't die as some are predicting.

Or it could be all over by June and nothing much changes. We really don't know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ash said:

A temporary morgue for the few that will die in Calderdale who already has underlying health issues. It won’t be needed and there will matches back there by the time that 3 months is up.

Why does everyone seem to think we are all going to die? Media hysteria of the highest order it really is. At its current rate it will take 2000 years for the so called 200,000 to die!

You really need to take your head out of your arse if you think football will be played in under 3 months. This Virus is killing people in Britain faster than anticipated. It has not even spiked at it's worst yet. 

1 minute ago, Wilder Bollox said:

How do we lockdown all the schoolkids that will be on free roam from next week ?

That's the big problem. They will treat it as a holiday. 

1 minute ago, Wilder Bollox said:

How do we lockdown all the schoolkids that will be on free roam from next week ?

Do kids even play out these days! 

I honestly think the police will get involved before long, it won't be total lockdown but they'll be driving round advising them to go home. 

3 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Do kids even play out these days! 

I honestly think the police will get involved before long, it won't be total lockdown but they'll be driving round advising them to go home. 

As The Wjo sang The Kids Are Alright. They have bugger all to worry about other than playing on whichever games console they play on for the next few months. 

Parents are the ones that will be worrying about their parents etc and in some cases whether they'll still have a job to go to. 

I would be sitting down tonight and having a good chat with my kids as to how important this problem is and what I'd expect of them. But there are sadly many parents that don't give a flying feck about anyone and especially what their kids do. 

I've just been to my local mini supermarket and the potatoes have Al been sold again. I was going to ha e jacket potatoes tonight. I've been told to go back on the morning. Yeah, when all the feckwots who are buying 6 montjs worth of food go and they're probably some of the people that are spreading it. 

Today has been up there with my most upsetting day of employment. There is now more that we dont have than what we do have. Seeing the elderly walking around looking longingly at there list that they need. We have now limited no more than 3 of anything in our store but it's just not cutting it. We simply cant get the stock. I fail to see how we will still be open at the weekend if this Carries on 

Luckily I have only been abused a couple of times because of this others have suffered a lot more. 

Seeing people walk through the door with big trollies and knowing they will leave with barely anything, no food for babies. No formula. I could have cried a couple of times today myself 

Edited by Greggs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Today has been up there with my most upsetting day of employment. There is now more that we dont have than what we do have. Seeing the elderly walking around looking longingly at there list that they need. We have now limited no more than 3 of anything in our store but it's just not cutting it. We simply cant get the stock. I fail to see how we will still be open at the weekend if this Carries on 

Luckily I have only been abused a couple of times because of this others have suffered a lot more. 

Seeing people walk through the door with big trollies and knowing they will leave with barely anything, no food for babies. No formula. I could have cried a couple of times today myself 

About to do my big shop. Unsure what to expect, but will absolutely keep levels of items I buy in mind. Cheers for this.

14 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Its bad. I've been sorting our stock list for the coming week as per my job. 

I know what delivery's are coming in in the next 7 days. I know from sales we sold more on Sunday than we are going to get through the door in the next week. 

14 minutes ago, Greggs said:

...no food for babies. No formula. I could have cried a couple of times today myself 

This is the frightening thing. People always say "breast is best" but not every mother is able to breast feed. They simply can't for whatever reason, and formula is their only other option. What exactly happens when a parent isn't capable of giving their kid any food? Medicine can help for a day or two, calorie-rich liquids, etc. but very quickly hospitalisation will be need - which simply increases the pressure on a creaking system.

• Like 1

I've just been reading that the death roll on Italy has gone over the 2500 mark. 

The Italian goverement is preparing to rush through 10000 new doctors without them sitting their exams to help fight the virus. 

I just hope that we've learned lessons from the Italian outbreak and that the virus kills far less people here than it has over there. 

11 minutes ago, Flea said:

Its bad. I've been sorting our stock list for the coming week as per my job. 

I know what delivery's are coming in in the next 7 days. I know from sales we sold more on Sunday than we are going to get through the door in the next week. 

Problem is our system you can check what delivery sizes are for the next 7 days too however it's been saying very high deliveries for a week now but it's just not there to come in, tomorrow for example on my specific department I am supposed to be getting 620 cases of delivery which is 5 times the size of a normal Thursday delivery however I know for a fact sat here writing this that I wont get over 100 in terms of delivery size and that's being generous. 

11 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

This is the frightening thing. People always say "breast is best" but not every mother is able to breast feed. They simply can't for whatever reason, and formula is their only other option. What exactly happens when a parent isn't capable of giving their kid any food? Medicine can help for a day or two, calorie-rich liquids, etc. but very quickly hospitalisation will be need - which simply increases the pressure on a creaking system.

My sister is in this situation and she needed some today and there was non available however I have the advantage of being able to check when the next delivery is so I can plan and know when I can save some for her. Other people dont have that opportunity though and it's going to lead to some in store fights eventually 

3 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Problem is our system you can check what delivery sizes are for the next 7 days too however it's been saying very high deliveries for a week now but it's just not there to come in, tomorrow for example on my specific department I am supposed to be getting 620 cases of delivery which is 5 times the size of a normal Thursday delivery however I know for a fact sat here writing this that I wont get over 100 in terms of delivery size and that's being generous. 

Yeah we have a staff app that give us our delivery info. The regular one all staff has has the penned in delivery. Those that deal with the stock have further access that actually gives us a break down of what to expect. The difference is shocking. 

Our shelves are empty. They aren't getting full any time soon. The desired stock is coming in, but in very low numbers.

Main problem with stock shortages is that as a shopper you have to trail from shop to shop (the exact opposite of what you should be doing) hoping to get what you need

21 minutes ago, Flea said:

Yeah we have a staff app that give us our delivery info. The regular one all staff has has the penned in delivery. Those that deal with the stock have further access that actually gives us a break down of what to expect. The difference is shocking. 

Our shelves are empty. They aren't getting full any time soon. The desired stock is coming in, but in very low numbers.

I might risk sneaking out for some spuds tomorrow. 

How the hell I'm expected to self isolate for twelve weeks in beyond me. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Hoddie said:

My daughter's test came back negative today so we've been self-isolating since Friday for no reason (well, not no reason, but you know...). We got the news at 11.20am, which meant we could re-join society for a full 40 minutes before the Belgian shut down at noon. Surprisingly the creche we use is remaining open because it hosts the kids of some supposed key people, but I'm keeping them home just to reduce the chances that any of us fall victim. We've been out for walks around the neighbourhood, careful to avoid other people, but otherwise we've been lucky enough to have been able to bunker down at home, relying on Amazon and other deliveries to keep us going.

I think what scares me more than the figures being banded about is the thought that maybe we're not being told the full story. Seeing governments all around the world reacting so quickly and so differently to this compared to how they reacted to SARS and so on, makes me a little paranoid that we're only just entering the beginning of what's to come, and that information is being drip fed to us.

Even assuming that the west manages to ride out the peak, that the various health structures hold out and somehow deal with the worst of it, life will likely be different going forward. Governments will need to prepare contingency plans for the next corona virus. Supply lines, trips abroad, etc. may all see significant changes. It's potentially a historical moment with the chance to change the future quite drastically, even if 100,000s don't die as some are predicting.

Or it could be all over by June and nothing much changes. We really don't know.

Good news for the family which must have been a worrying time for you.

1 hour ago, Flea said:

When I mopped to my local supermarket it was mostly meat and potatoes that theyd run out of. Then I noticed daft stuff like brown sauce. Bread was pretty low but I noticed quite a lot of frozen food was OK. 

It's the idiotic panic buyers that should be ashamed of themselves. A lot of them won't be at risk of becoming seriously ill either. 

If I don't get some tatties to make jacket spuds tomorrow there'll be hell to pay. 

5 hours ago, Ash said:

A temporary morgue for the few that will die in Calderdale who already has underlying health issues. It won’t be needed and there will matches back there by the time that 3 months is up.

Why does everyone seem to think we are all going to die? Media hysteria of the highest order it really is. At its current rate it will take 2000 years for the so called 200,000 to die!

It’s not just deaths that matter, although that’s the worst implication.

These ‘underlying health issues’ you seem to want to talk down have other issues.

Psychologically and mentally, how do you think a new mum with type 1 diabetes is gonna feel that she can’t hardly take her daughter out other than for a quick walk around the block, and can’t see other family or friends for 3 months? It should be the happiest of times, not trapped inside because you’re deemed high risk.

This could have further implications once the initial chaos has gone.

Edited by mj85
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, mj85 said:

It’s not just deaths that matter, although that’s the worst implication.

These ‘underlying health issues’ you seem to want to talk down have other issues.

Psychologically and mentally, how do you think a new mum with type 1 diabetes is gonna feel that she can’t hardly take her daughter out other than for a quick walk around the block, and can’t see other family or friends for 3 months? It should be the happiest of times, not trapped inside because you’re deemed high risk.

This could have further implications once the initial chaos has gone.

Shows just how badly the vulnerable in society are handled . You've got the further problem of when will this be safe, will there be a second wave, will there be a third wave and when will the next virus hit us

18 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Shows just how badly the vulnerable in society are handled . You've got the further problem of when will this be safe, will there be a second wave, will there be a third wave and when will the next virus hit us

It's a strange one. The epicentre of the virus is now coming back to normal but one of first to follow and one of the worst affected countries who thought that the virus had peaked there, has just recorded its worst rate of deaths in one day so far. 

It does sound like there'll be a vaccine to cure the virus sooner rather than later. 

Another sad part is, as you mention above, there will be other virus's that come along and hit humans all over the world. I just hope that mankind can learn from this pandemic. 

At least supermarkets will be able to place a ban on hording stock. That's one area in which we can learn straight away and it's an important issue for many different reasons, as mentioned above. 

Edited by Erik Everhard