Sign in to follow this  
Jmc

No income for 2 months

3 hours ago, quizmaster said:

Now is the time to merge the Conference and Div 2 into League 2 North and South. Would eliminate very expensive overnight stays and travel and away support would go up. No brainer. Only problem would be if the Football league were willing to pay out for what would in effect be another layer to the football League. 

You mean go back 50/60 years, I actually agree.

2 hours ago, Ash said:

Just be thankful we didn’t throw a load of money at promotion and pay transfer fees and wages on but players like Stockport just have!

So no point getting any players in for next season because there may be another pandemic which will mean that season called off.

3 hours ago, quizmaster said:

Now is the time to merge the Conference and Div 2 into League 2 North and South. Would eliminate very expensive overnight stays and travel and away support would go up. No brainer. Only problem would be if the Football league were willing to pay out for what would in effect be another layer to the football League. 

Hear hear. Absolute common sense. The midlands teams are the only sticking point but if you draw a line at say Birmingham and any team abo e are in the North and any team below are in the south. 

Somebody mentioned the North South divide a few weeks ago and got shot down in flames. Personally I like the idea, makes total sense to me and thousands of others. Clubs just cant weather the cost of all the travel and overnight stops. And for fans its a nightmare. A 2hr (ish) travel catchment should be put in place. There maybe one or two clubs that fall outside of this but then you can cope with an odd one.

The chairman of St Helens has said the government will need to help Rugby League as its a sport at risk of going out of existence should the leagues be postponed. 

I suppose all chairmen speak to and know eachother within the game and are aware of what could happen but they should blame the RFL rather than the government imo. This will have knock on effects for town should owt happen to the rugby. Bigger rent for a start. 

28 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

The chairman of St Helens has said the government will need to help Rugby League as its a sport at risk of going out of existence should the leagues be postponed. 

I suppose all chairmen speak to and know eachother within the game and are aware of what could happen but they should blame the RFL rather than the government imo. This will have knock on effects for town should owt happen to the rugby. Bigger rent for a start. 

As for Rugby League the Corona Virus crisis just speeds up the inevitable.

13 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

As for Rugby League the Corona Virus crisis just speeds up the inevitable.

That's very true. Only a few people and organisation to blame. The RFL. 

Rugby league was bigger than non-league football 20-25 years ago but non-league footy is doing well for itself with goid coverage and intetest.

Some people will say some bigger clubs coming down helps but Wigan, Leeds, Saints, Cas get bigger gates. 

I don't want the rugby going tits up coz of love my town, and it'll hurt the footy too. 

I've thought for a long time that the lower leagues should be regionalised.  In Town's case 14 of the away games this year are journeys of 200 miles or more and much further for Hartlepool & Barrow.  At the same time the southern based clubs all have to make several 200 mile journeys north.  As someone said the problem is for the clubs in the middle, they could be regularly switching from north to south and back dependent on who the location of the promoted/relegated clubs.  It would save av lot of money though, both the clubs and the hardy bunch who travel to all the away fixtures

Would it be a bad thing if we took this opportunity to change the game to a Summer sport. From our own point of view we wouldn't have 6 games a season postponed because of the weather. 

6 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

More like SKY should step in help them out. They've feckin ruined it so the  least they can do is help in a time of crisis. 

Edited by Erik Everhard
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

More like SKY should step in help them out. They've feckin ruined it so tjr least they can do is help in a time of crisis. 

The Rugby League have only themselves to blame with their feeble attempts at 'expansion' at the expense of traditional Rugby League Clubs. The latest Joke being Toronto. If they want to survive I suggest recruiting some Rugby Union men to run the show or even better, joining up with them again.

• Like 1

On a very much more optimistic vein. At least Ozzie will be able to sort out the pitch without the squatters on it! By the time we get back on it (probably Sept at the earliest) it will be back to good as new. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

The Rugby League have only themselves to blame with their feeble attempts at 'expansion' at the expense of traditional Rugby League Clubs. The latest Joke being Toronto. If they want to survive I suggest recruiting some Rugby Union men to run the show or even better, joining up with them again.

I take it you missed the news Ottawa were announced as a new club last week and shall join the system neXT season. Another joke. 

2 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I take it you missed the news Ottawa were announced as a new club last week and shall join the system neXT season. Another joke. 

Will they play their home games over here too?

3 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Will they play their home games over here too?

I'm not sure. I just caught on the BBC rugby league section that they've signed up and they're looking to appoint a coach but there's no rush because they're unable to sign players until June.  They've taken over Hemel Hempstead's licence. 

26 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

D I S C O, D I S C O. Oh Ottawa. 

• Haha 1

Is it time for The Shay driving range to reopen to get some well needed funds. Get some mate laid out on top of the North Stand but 2m apart of course!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ash said:

Is it time for The Shay driving range to reopen to get some well needed funds. Get some mate laid out on top of the North Stand but 2m apart of course!

Using your friends as tees Ashley?? A tad extreme

On 3/16/2020 at 3:29 PM, TommyH72 said:

Somebody mentioned the North South divide a few weeks ago and got shot down in flames. Personally I like the idea, makes total sense to me and thousands of others. Clubs just cant weather the cost of all the travel and overnight stops. And for fans its a nightmare. A 2hr (ish) travel catchment should be put in place. There maybe one or two clubs that fall outside of this but then you can cope with an odd one.

They could always take a leaf out of the local leagues. The West Yorkshire League, which had a big catchment area from Boroughbridge and Ripon down to the South Yorkshire boundary used a method of adding up all of the expenses for match officials across all of the clubs and then dividing it p equally between all of the clubs (equalising), so that the clubs the furthest away from the main towns/cities did not get penalised. The National League could do something similar for travelling expenses, and strike a deal with a national hotel chain, who could be a major sponsor, to try to reduce the burden of all of this travelling. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ITMAN said:

They could always take a leaf out of the local leagues. The West Yorkshire League, which had a big catchment area from Boroughbridge and Ripon down to the South Yorkshire boundary used a method of adding up all of the expenses for match officials across all of the clubs and then dividing it p equally between all of the clubs (equalising), so that the clubs the furthest away from the main towns/cities did not get penalised. The National League could do something similar for travelling expenses, and strike a deal with a national hotel chain, who could be a major sponsor, to try to reduce the burden of all of this travelling. 

Sounds like a plan Itman. There has to be a better way of lessening the burden on clubs. I like the idea of talking to the Hotel chains with a view to striking a deal. And while the current situation prevails its as good a time as any to start looking into restructuring. It probably wont happen but if we can see issues and solutions then surely the powers that be must.

The hotels one is an interesting shout - I imagine currently some clubs have agreements in place on a team-by-team basis, but something at a league level would surely be appreciated by many clubs? Also provides greater bargaining power. I suppose it may limit teams in terms of putting in place their own agreements should they wish, but would like to thing it's something the National League would explore.

With the council now taking the decision to close the Shay for 12 weeks from this Friday (takes us to 12th June), surely that means that the football and rugby teams will not owe rent for that period?

Shay Closing

8 minutes ago, fez said:

With the council now taking the decision to close the Shay for 12 weeks from this Friday (takes us to 12th June), surely that means that the football and rugby teams will not owe rent for that period?

Shay Closing

They may have done it for that reason?