born to moan

Only game on TV

2 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Absolutely spot on about the SAS and another thing is they come in all shapes and sizes from well over 6 foot and 5 foot four. 

The old saying is 100% correct and that's never judge a book by its cover. 

I knew a few lads who had tried for the SAS, as they were always wanting signals operators, but failed the selection process. Unlike the Para's were it was all about being able to yomp for 25 miles with a full Bergan, the SAS process was more a case of psychological warfare. One of the tests involved carrying 2 x 5 gallon jerry cans of water up to the top of the hill where they were then told to pour them out. They were then told to go back down the hill and fill them up and bring them back up where upon the process was repeated. The purpose of the exercise was twofold, one to see how physically fit they were and to also see how long they would keep doing it for. They were looking for the bloody minded ones who did not understand when to give in. With these guys all you did get from them was name, rank and number - no more no less.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

We had an ex-SAS officer as our Q/M and he used to tell a few good tales. When I was leaving the Army he gave me a letter of introduction to the T/A SAS unit in Leeds. Needless to say having just left the forces I was not looking to extend my tour of duty.

One thing you did know was that you never knew who was a member of the regiment and who wasn't, as they were always the quiet ones at the back of the room watching everyone else. Low profile was an understatement. 

Unlike the Para's who couldn't wait to tell you how good they were.

The SAS normally recruit more from The Paras than any other regiment. Perhaps they cut out their tongues during the selection process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

The SAS normally recruit more from The Paras than any other regiment. Perhaps they cut out their tongues during the selection process.

Grenadiere Guards too.