born to moan

Only game on TV

Had a mate who lived in southowram used to watch northern floodlite league games at the shay from the top of beacon hill through binoculars whilst eating stolen mars bars from the co op

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, hunsworthhound said:

Had a mate who lived in southowram used to watch northern floodlite league games at the shay from the top of beacon hill through binoculars whilst eating stolen mars bars from the co op

Which asylum did they eventually place him in.

2 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Which asylum did they eventually place him in.

The Shay with the rest of us loonies

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was nearly expelled from Crossley's in 1972, with 2 of my mates, because we had bunked off school and gone to Leeds on a Weds afternoon for an FA Cup replay game between Leeds and Liverpool. As usual it was a sell out crowd and we could not get tickets, so we opted to climb on the Old Pheasant pub roof opposite the ground as back then you could see over the Scratching Shed to see some of the game.

What we did not realise was that it was being televised and the camera man did a shot of the fans on the pub roof. Lo and behold when we went back into school the next day we were hauled up in front of the deputy head to be given a very serious talking to and put in detention for a long time.

Maybe I should be classed as one of the loonies.... 

• Haha 2

While we are looking back with reference to TV. Can you remember when programmes used to be interrupted with a NEWS FLASH, can't remember the last time we had one. Can you?

9 minutes ago, born to moan said:

While we are looking back with reference to TV. Can you remember when programmes used to be interrupted with a NEWS FLASH, can't remember the last time we had one. Can you?

There normally is after a terrorist attack. 

25 minutes ago, born to moan said:

9/11 it was all over every one of the main channels

27 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

9/11 it was all over every one of the main channels

Aye, all over the internet now. Building seven. Explain that one MSN.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, born to moan said:

I think the last one was when Nelson Mandela died. 

8 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I think the last one was when Nelson Mandela died. 

I remember two, 9/11 and Diana dying. Don't remember the Mandela one, seems an odd reason. My mom says there was one for the Herald of Free Enterprise as well but I was a kid then so dunno.

10 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

I remember two, 9/11 and Diana dying. Don't remember the Mandela one, seems an odd reason. My mom says there was one for the Herald of Free Enterprise as well but I was a kid then so dunno.

SAS storming the Iranian Embassy in London is one that sticks out. 

It then went over live to show it all. It was like something out of a film and I think it was probably the first time I'd heard of the SAS. 

Just now, Erik Everhard said:

It then went over live to show it all. It was like something out of a film and I think it was probably the first time I'd heard of the SAS. 

I recall that one , also the IRA bombing in Brighton , saw them bringing people out on stretches , showed a close up of Norman Tebbit .

Hillsborough and Hysel were the worst ones , they were shown live , at the time I don't think the broadcasters or those watching were sure about what was unfolding.

• Like 1

Just now, monk said:

I recall that one , also the IRA bombing in Brighton , saw them bringing people out on stretches , showed a close up of Norman Tebbit .

Hillsborough and Hysel were the worst ones , they were shown live , at the time I don't think the broadcasters or those watching were sure about what was unfolding.

Bradford City too but I was in the ground that day so I watched it at a later date.

Yes, remember NT coming out of the building covered in dust. 

I went to see Bradford v Millwall same season was stood at far end in that stand , small standing bit near away fans , it was a rickety stand , thought it was going to collapse .

18 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

It was the first time for those terrorists too.....................and the last.

Just now, Shaytrev said:

It was the first time for those terrorists too.....................and the last.

Very true Trev. They are. Not to be f@cked with. 

• Like 1

It was the guy coming down from the roof and going through the window which was the bit that stays in my head .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Fantastic piece in court when a SAS man was questioned about shouting a terrorist and his reply was I told him not to move and he did so I perforated him, I think it was something like 48 bullets.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Fantastic piece in court when a SAS man was questioned about shouting a terrorist and his reply was I told him not to move and he did so I perforated him, I think it was something like 48 bullets.

They do not send the SAS anywhere  to arrest people, that is The Police's job.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, monk said:

It was the guy coming down from the roof and going through the window which was the bit that stays in my head .

He found himself homeless was it last year or the year before. Herefordshire Council said there was nothing for him. 

So the media hit behind him and he has since found his own place. Hr was the guy that absailed from the roof and smashed through the window with a hammer and then let fly with a sub machine gun. 

There was a bloke from Yorkshire who was part of the team and another one was the Scottish bloke with dark hair and a tasj called Mac. He used to present a programme about the SAS with another Scotsman and former SAS member. 

I've met a few ex members of the regiment and I also worked with a bloke that was a sargeant in the SAS. 

That's as far as I go with that one for obvious reasons. 

11 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

He found himself homeless was it last year or the year before. Herefordshire Council said there was nothing for him. 

So the media hit behind him and he has since found his own place. Hr was the guy that absailed from the roof and smashed through the window with a hammer and then let fly with a sub machine gun. 

There was a bloke from Yorkshire who was part of the team and another one was the Scottish bloke with dark hair and a tasj called Mac. He used to present a programme about the SAS with another Scotsman and former SAS member. 

I've met a few ex members of the regiment and I also worked with a bloke that was a sargeant in the SAS. 

I believe Mac lost his Son while he was serving somewhere in the forces, Mac died sometime after.

3 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

I believe Mac lost his Son while he was serving somewhere in the forces, Mac died sometime after.

He buried both his sons I believe. I can remember reading about it. 

1 hour ago, Erik Everhard said:

We had an ex-SAS officer as our Q/M and he used to tell a few good tales. When I was leaving the Army he gave me a letter of introduction to the T/A SAS unit in Leeds. Needless to say having just left the forces I was not looking to extend my tour of duty.

One thing you did know was that you never knew who was a member of the regiment and who wasn't, as they were always the quiet ones at the back of the room watching everyone else. Low profile was an understatement. 

Unlike the Para's who couldn't wait to tell you how good they were.

Edited by ITMAN

1 minute ago, ITMAN said:

We has an ex-SAS officer as our Q/M and he used to tell a few good tales.

One thing you did know was that you never knew who was a member of the regiment and who wasn't, as they were always the quiet ones at the back of the room watching everyone else. Low profile was an understatement. 

Unlike the Para's who couldn't wait to tell you how good they were.

Absolutely spot on about the SAS and another thing is they come in all shapes and sizes from well over 6 foot and 5 foot four. 

The old saying is 100% correct and that's never judge a book by its cover.