1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

This is a thing that will be here for months not weeks . Interestingly the quicker it spreads the sooner we will have immunity

I think it's possible to get better and then catch it again. It's almost impossible to vaccinate against illnesses from the flu family, and any vaccine that is given is simply to reduce the effects if you do happen to fall ill. That's my "I'm sure I've read it somewhere" head on so I could be wrong.

I remember watching something on Tomorrows World yonks ago about a whole new type of treatment for flu, one that required patients to inject themselves after falling ill, and every few hours thereafter - injections that completely removed all the symptoms almost immediately. But it was so different to any other type of modern medical treatment that they were having trouble getting permission for live trials, and this must have been 20 years ago at least so obviously nothing came of it. Wonder if they'll be revisiting it now though.

BT Sport - does Royal oak have it or is sky...will go there Saturday when decision is made regarding playing behind closed doors..

3 hours ago, Lewis said:

as well as clubs such as Brighouse where you'll have a lot of fans who don't use the internet on a regular basis?

Bit of a strange comment above

Im sure fans at Brighouse level won’t be computer illiterate 

Aren’t some governments going along the lines of no more than a thousand at events so Brighouse should be fine to play at their level

3 minutes ago, Grayski said:

Aren’t some governments going along the lines of no more than a thousand at events so Brighouse should be fine to play at their level

You could always limit the Shay to 999 people then and we would be OK - first come first served principle. Mind you that would have to be reduced by the number of stewards, bar staff, pie sellers etc, so we would probably end up with 200 crowd and the rest logistics, aw well might as well call it a day.

54 minutes ago, nw3casc1 said:

BT Sport - does Royal oak have it or is sky...will go there Saturday when decision is made regarding playing behind closed doors..

Football will not be allowed to be shown in pubs if the ban goes ahead

1 hour ago, Hoddie said:

I think it's possible to get better and then catch it again. It's almost impossible to vaccinate against illnesses from the flu family, and any vaccine that is given is simply to reduce the effects if you do happen to fall ill. That's my "I'm sure I've read it somewhere" head on so I could be wrong.

I remember watching something on Tomorrows World yonks ago about a whole new type of treatment for flu, one that required patients to inject themselves after falling ill, and every few hours thereafter - injections that completely removed all the symptoms almost immediately. But it was so different to any other type of modern medical treatment that they were having trouble getting permission for live trials, and this must have been 20 years ago at least so obviously nothing came of it. Wonder if they'll be revisiting it now though.

Vaccines don't work (or only in limited numbers) the common belief is that you can't get the same strain twice (debatable) but can get a mutated strain . I would also say that symptoms remain in the body for far longer than they would have us believe and it's common knowledge that an immune body will give a positive result

• Like 1

Holland now suspends fixtures and UEFA calling a VC for next Tuesday to discuss its response. I don't think next week's UCL / UUL fixtures will go ahead.

Leicester players reportedly self isolating. 

I would imagine that the football authorities will probably be in discussions with the government with a view to possible suspension in the UK perhaps as early as this weekend? 

59 minutes ago, Grayski said:

I meant it more in the sense that at that level a lot of the fans are of an older generation

I cant help thinking that somewhere in here there will also be H&S issues. The culture we now live in says that if someone is told it's safe to go to an event and you were to pick up the illness then there will be those out there who would try and sue clubs/FA's etc. Plus, the attitude of the players has to be considered, if they feel they are putting themselves at risk then they surely have the right to refuse to play. I note 3No Leicester players are now in self quarantine.

4 hours ago, Skircoat Shed Archive said:

I wonder if rugby league will be played behind closed doors

Only affects larger gatherings of people 

• Haha 1

Already scuppered my trip to borehamwood if it was on. Was getting a lift with my son he was going down there for a meeting. His firm has now banned all travel  between  depots so he can't  go

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jmc said:

We may get a game in this weekend but after that ?? 

Who knows, but if the government want to see lower league football collapse completely then they will be doing so if they cancel games or play them behind closed doors. I hold out no hope of financial assistance from No 11, or is No 10 running the Treasury now, when they give no help to Care Homes or airlines during the current crisis. There have been many reports on the radio today outlining how clubs from League 1 down rely on gate receipts every week just to keep their heads above water, so it is not like they have not been warned.

12 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Who knows, but if the government want to see lower league football collapse completely then they will be doing so if they cancel games or play them behind closed doors. I hold out no hope of financial assistance from No 11, or is No 10 running the Treasury now, when they give no help to Care Homes or airlines during the current crisis. There have been many reports on the radio today outlining how clubs from League 1 down rely on gate receipts every week just to keep their heads above water, so it is not like they have not been warned.

Instead of Premier Clubs getting their annual £100m + TV brass they should be given £99m. The £1m + from each club can be shared amongst The Paupers in the lower divisions. Save the game.

• Like 2

I'm still not overly fussed about this virus if I'm honest, but are there any of our grey haired older fans genuinely concerned about venturing out to the Shay on Saturday? I'm sure some of yous will gave the odd health issues which otherwise would be fine. 

14 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I'm still not overly fussed about this virus if I'm honest, but are there any of our grey haired older fans genuinely concerned about venturing out to the Shay on Saturday? I'm sure some of yous will gave the odd health issues which otherwise would be fine. 

I've decided to go to Town for a couple before landing in The Oak where I will make an attempt to drown the virus.

Wont be coming tomorrow because my wife who had heart surgery  had her one year check up this week and she is fine but was advised to be careful and avoid busy places and also cancelled the Birthday bash in Halifax next Wednesday which makes it three in a row, last year stuck in a blizzard on the motorway and the year before my wife broke her wrist and spent five hours in A and E which means for the first time for yonks ill miss 3 games on the trot thanks to two hospital apts last Saturday and Tuesday night and the moral to this story is NEVER HAVE YOUR EAR SYNGED as I have now lost 30% of my hearing thanks to the useless people at the walk in hospital, will really miss TJS.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

I've decided to go to Town for a couple before landing in The Oak where I will make an attempt to drown the virus.

Alcohol is supposed to be a good sanitizer for this virus. I think it's to be rubbed onto the skin but I'm going to experiment with the ingestion method on the basis of alcohol partially comes out through the pores anyway...….got to work hasn't it:blink:

6 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Alcohol is supposed to be a good sanitizer for this virus. I think it's to be rubbed onto the skin but I'm going to experiment with the ingestion method on the basis of alcohol partially comes out through the pores anyway...….got to work hasn't it:blink:

Well, it is better than sitting at home waiting for the inevitable, we all have to go sometime and I'm going into the final furlong now.

19 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Arsenal manager Arteta has it now. 100% football will be getting suspended at some point tonight/tomorrow 

Yes cant see any other option. Wonder where they will draw the line? Premier League? EFL? National League? 

News tonight says UEFA are now seriously considering putting the Euro's back to next year. As an earlier post mentioned thi would give time to suspend the current season and then resume battle in early May.

46 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I'm far from convinced about the reliability of their tests which seem to be giving a spike of positives

It is the question of how the deaths are reported as well. I have seen reports for example that an 80 year old man with underlying medical conditions who has the virus has died, was it the virus that killed him or the underlying medical conditions? 

Take this to the extreme, and our tabloid papers possibly would, a man who has been tested positive for the virus gets knocked down by a bus and killed. Is the headline "man killed by bus" or "another person with corona virus dies"?

At the same time we are told that for 80% of us that catch the virus we will experience nothing more than a dose of the flu. In this case we should be applying the "lockdown" and "social distancing" only for those who are in the at risk cohort, while the rest of us should be capable of getting on with our lives in the same way as we do every year when we have a flu epidemic.

Identifying those who are at risk should be straight forward based on the existing medical records held by the NHS for all of us. The rest should be monitored, if symptoms arise then putting yourself to bed (self isolation) followed by a standard test to verify if the virus is present should be carried out. This would then determine if the person who is ill should need further isolation and monitoring or whether they are fit to return to normal life after the flu has run it's course.  

Another question is whether we should shut schools or not? The primary reason put forward for this, despite the fact that the corona virus appears to not effect children, is that children are still carriers of the virus, so having them all together at school leads to cross contamination, which is then passed on at home to the older generations in the family. The problem with this is that generally most parents of working age, in Western society, already have some form of child care in place which does not involve using their cheapest option, i.e Granma/Grandpa to look after the kids, so it is relatively easy to distance the older generation from the potential carriers. Take the little ones out of school and close down the child care facilities, what will happen? The parents will still need to go out to work, to put food on the table and to pay the mortgage, so we would then be forcing families into having to break the social distancing option for the older grandparents as their sons/daughters in increasing numbers will have to fall back on this "at risk" commodity. In other cultures where it is common for the older generations to still live in the extended family home, mainly because they do not have the  luxury of pensions and care homes, it is the norm for the older generations to take care of the younger children, this is seen as part of their contribution to the family as a whole. So in this case it does make sense to close schools as this can potentially reduce the cross contamination and transference of the virus through family members.

I for one am happy with the current UK approach of not jumping off the deep end and cancelling everything that constitutes a possible risk, otherwise we will have an almighty recession and the number of people who might die would probably still be the same. God help us if they have to shut the London Underground down!