5 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Fact is we are in a national emergency, nay worldwide emergency.

No other U.K. government has had to deal with this particular emergency. No other U.K. government has stopped the economy and tried to pay everyone 80% of their earnings, at the same time keep parts of the economy going and other parts going at full steam to keep us safe. Achieving all those things all at the same time when they have never been done before will not be 100% successful, it’s impossible to expect that. There has been some pretty remarkable things done, not least of all the 80% wage funding, that’s amazing. How normality is achieved and how quickly will be the next massive challenge. Then how the state pays for it, or really how we pay for it will be biggest challenge. But that is all to come, we have to live with the virus as best can now, there is no cure or vaccine for it so is here to stay for now.

I thought the 80% wage funding was a mistake. People who simply sneezed took up the offer to stay home leaving important work places short of staff.

Edited by Shaytrev
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what the Government have actually offered and even less sure of what they'll really deliver . A business tax holiday that the Government would pay quickly became a business tax postponement that the business still has to pay

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

I thought the 80% wage funding was a mistake. People who simply sneezed took up the offer to stay home leaving important work places short of staff.

It only comes into action when you have been furloughed not at home with a shuffle doesnt it? 

6 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

It only comes into action when you have been furloughed not at home with a shuffle doesnt it? 

You might be right, statements seem to change from day to day.

4 hours ago, ashy1966 said:

3 of our most senior figures came down with it yesterday, yet over half the population is expected to work. We  need a stricter lockdown policy. Many workers are asked to work that are not really needed. 

When all this nightmare is over! I would be braying on China, s door demanding answers. 

Answers to what exactly?

2 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Answers to what exactly?

Answer to why they didn’t tell countries about this earlier. Where this really came from etc ?

1 minute ago, TJAshton said:

Answer to why they didn’t tell countries about this earlier. Where this really came from etc ?

And what happened to the whistleblower who is now dead. He saved many lives around the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

It seemed pretty clear what was happening to me. It looked serious a while before the UK government started taking it seriously.

10 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Answers to what exactly?

Third virus to come out of that Country. Sars, Swine Flu & now Coronavirus. Coincidence? 

3 minutes ago, ashy1966 said:

Third virus to come out of that Country. Sars, Swine Flu & now Coronavirus. Coincidence? 

It’s the most populous nation on earth. What are you trying to say?

2 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

You need to be very careful Steve!

I am isolation strictly obeyed have to go to supermarket this week but will be very careful, can´t do anymore.

3 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

I am isolation strictly obeyed have to go to supermarket this week but will be very careful, can´t do anymore.

Good lad, look after you and yours!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I'm not sure what the Government have actually offered and even less sure of what they'll really deliver . A business tax holiday that the Government would pay quickly became a business tax postponement that the business still has to pay

They've just offered to give me £10,000 for some reason.

1 minute ago, kit said:

They've just offered to give me £10,000 for some reason.

Are Post Offices still open Kit?

1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

Not an avid Guardian reader but this popped up on Facebook (could be result of Chrisbo hacking) Thought it was a good read from Italy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/a-letter-to-the-uk-from-italy-this-is-what-we-know-about-your-future

Really interesting article. Sadly another 259 died here since yesterday. Hopefully, people are now starting to realise that this is a big deal and act accordingly. Hard to believe that the police turned away 200 cars,caravans and trailer vans trying to get into Wales for a holiday weekend!

6 minutes ago, Lammie said:

Really interesting article. Sadly another 259 died here since yesterday. Hopefully, people are now starting to realise that this is a big deal and act accordingly. Hard to believe that the police turned away 200 cars,caravans and trailer vans trying to get into Wales for a holiday weekend!

There is a bit of controversy over how some are counting the reasons for cause of death. I think this wants seriously looking into.

Edited by Shaytrev
  • Like 3

Nothing will happen unless the civilised world decides to ditch the United Nations. It was of its time but is now a flawed talking shop, giving equal regard to dictatorships and democracies. A new modern organisation is needed where continued membership relies on meeting certain criteria - rule of law, human rights, open to election observers, etc. - with declared nuclear states given seats on the security council. Rather than a veto system, a qualified majority rule could be used.

I'm no economist but I reckon China is only strong because we let them in the WTO without making them meet the same standards that other members were held to. It jumped from a third-world country to an economic powerhouse virtually overnight, allowing it to overwhelm industries all over the world while its internal resources - basically people - remained cheap. Its political system hasn't seen the gradual reform that other large economies have, and we have no idea how a rich, powerful one-party state will act if push ever comes to shove.

• Like 2

Major change needs to come tbf.

The first thing is we should not be seeing all this talk of private beds being sold to the NHS, or of a wonder drug or a test costing XYZ being produced. Worldwide now it should be - if a company/organisation has the resource that is needed then it must be used to help prolong, protect and save lives. 

There was a case in Italy a couple of weeks ago where some doctors needed ventilators and were able to recreate one using a 3D printer. The problem is they didn't have the patent needed and the company who did make them threatened to sue them if they made any more. In this situation, the government should be stepping in and telling that company to get fecked. The 3D printer made products cost like £1 to make, the company who held the patent were charging around £1000-£4000 for the product. 

Development wise, the Chinese are now making noises about how many face masks and the likes they can produce and ship out to the world. Its great they can make so many in great numbers and they should keep doing so and sending them where they are needed. They should however not be profiteering from this - they should be doing it to help prolong and save lives. If it was Germany / USA / Canada / Japan producing these masks, the same should be said then - this isn't about money, its about collective responsibility. 

Some are looking to profit from this. Dickheads like Richard Branson who are demanding staff go without pay even though he would make more in interest alone than all his staff would make if he paid them, who is still wanting government bailouts having sued the NHS have really shown their true colours. At the other end of the scale I know several people who don't make £15K a year who are currently volunteering to go help those in need by dropping food off, or even just picking up a phone to talk to people. 

The impact of this virus will be felt long after the deaths decrease (On that note, we have had nearly a 25% increase in deaths in the UK alone today). Those that look to profit from it should be judged and dealt with after the event. 

• Like 2

Death toll now over 1000 in the uk. 260 deaths since yesterday and the 2nd biggest death count today. Not looking good at all. 

21 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

There is a bit of controversy over how some are counting the reasons for cause of death. I think this wants seriously looking into.

Saw on the news someone said most of the people who died would have died this year anyway , they say they are dying with the virus not because of it .

I found it quite disrespectful , it was stated if we didn't have any restrictions 250,000 would die so it's no good underplaying the dire situation we are in .

• Like 1

As I have mentioned before my two daughters are in the NHS. One was isolated for seven days and has now gone back in. Both are in and out of hospitals on a daily basis. To be frank I wish that they could be like us and lock themselves indoors and wait it out. But that wouldn’t be the right thing and they wouldn’t do it anyway. Is it really only a couple of weeks since we were watching Town play and worrying whether we would get in the playoffs?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Are Post Offices still open Kit?

Yes, we are officially "key businesses". Some have had to shut or reduce hours due to illness etc. I've changed opening hours to 9am til 2pm as I shouldn't really be there at all (asthmatic). For the record, I'm there personally on Wednesday and Saturday.

• Like 2