1 hour ago, Shaytrev said:

Here are all the planes in the sky right now... https://planefinder.net/

After this crisis, I wonder if countries will enforce much more stringent measures regarding foreign travel.

Animals have health checks and quarantine and we have nothing. Immigrants arriving to Ellis Island a century ago by boat were vetted upon arrival.

It's no coincidence that most cases are found in countries with lots of airports.

And don't even get me started on Richard bleeding Branson. To think, he was once mooted as an alternative figurehead should be abolish the monarchy. 

This crisis could mark the end of easy and affordable foreign travel.

7 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

This crisis could mark the end of easy and affordable foreign travel.

That is part of the plan. Just what the Climate Change people were asking for a short time ago.

5 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

That is part of the plan. Just what the Climate Change people were asking for a short time ago.

Carbon emissions will be reduced generally. Looking at Italy on the https://planefinder.net/ at this moment there are only three planes in Italian airspace. There are hundreds over Britain right now. 

Now unless I'm missing something here, I thought ALL bars, cafes, restaurants etc were now closed indefinitely. Everywhere was shut in Town yesterday when I had to pass through. So why then would the Murgatroyd at Skircoat Green apparently open. As it was yesterday. Well the lights are on and the doors are open. Just wondering.

Just now, TommyH72 said:

Now unless I'm missing something here, I thought ALL bars, cafes, restaurants etc were now closed indefinitely. Everywhere was shut in Town yesterday when I had to pass through. So why then would the Murgatroyd at Skircoat Green apparently open. As it was yesterday. Well the lights are on and the doors are open. Just wondering.

Perhaps someone has already realised that isolating is hopeless when thousands of people from highly infected countries are allowed to fly here every day.

Popped round to Tesco at King Cross and bar loo roll and hand sanitisers there was some of everything available. Maybe people now have full cupboards and freezers or realised how fecking  selfish and stupid panic buying is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Perhaps someone has already realised that isolating is hopeless when thousands of people from highly infected countries are allowed to fly here every day.

Not the point really Shaytrev. When they get closed down and the Landlord loses his licence what will he say then.

2 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Not the point really Shaytrev. When they get closed down and the Landlord loses his licence what will he say then.

You didn't go in, just said the lights were on and doors were open. Might have been getting a thorough clean.

It is a serious point when we are expected to live in solitary confinement when thousands of potential carriers are landing at our airports.

2 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

You didn't go in, just said the lights were on and doors were open. Might have been getting a thorough clean.

It is a serious point when we are expected to live in solitary confinement when thousands of potential carriers are landing at our airports.

Yes, I did say apparently open though!!

2 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

That an absolute disgrace .

Can somebody answer me this , 

The government are saying people are not doing the social distancing expected of them but are telling people they still have to go to work and as in my case work on a shop floor which is noisy and working in a team of 25 in an environment where it is impossible to distance yourself from colleagues , we all go into the canteen to eat.

I am getting more concerned about the messages from the government. Every day they are talking further at people at risk

But working in retail we are under extreme risk at these times and I feel like we are getting no protection. 

Edited by Greggs
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, monk said:

That an absolute disgrace .

Don't believe everything you read in Breitbart, they're just one step up from the National Enquirer/Daily Sport (does that still exist?).

Most flights coming into the UK are repatriating British citizens, taking foreign citizens in the UK home or are standard cargo flights. All of these are necessary. There's obvious risks involved but to suggest that air travel is continuing as before, as Breitbart is doing, is at best disingenuous, and at worst an outright fabrication.

1 hour ago, monk said:

The government are saying people are not doing the social distancing expected of them but are telling people they still have to go to work and as in my case work on a shop floor which is noisy and working in a team of 25 in an environment where it is impossible to distance yourself from colleagues , we all go into the canteen to eat.

Retail workers are currently considered key workers and are expected to take the risk. Once this is all over be sure to remind your employer/the government/the public about this fact.

I think the government now accepts that most of the population is going to become infected at some point, they're just trying to make sure that the most vulnerable don't all get it at the same time, because then decisions like Italy have had to make, where they're not even treating those with an expected lifespan of 2 years or less, would need to be made in the UK and no politician or healthcare worker wants that on their record.

It's a sobering thought, but what's more sobering is that Italy are about to increase it from 2 to 5 years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Don't believe everything you read in Breitbart, they're just one step up from the National Enquirer/Daily Sport (does that still exist?).

Most flights coming into the UK are repatriating British citizens, taking foreign citizens in the UK home or are standard cargo flights. All of these are necessary. There's obvious risks involved but to suggest that air travel is continuing as before, as Breitbart is doing, is at best disingenuous, and at worst an outright fabrication.

Retail workers are currently considered key workers and are expected to take the risk. Once this is all over be sure to remind your employer/the government/the public about this fact.

I think the government now accepts that most of the population is going to become infected at some point, they're just trying to make sure that the most vulnerable don't all get it at the same time, because then decisions like Italy have had to make, where they're not even treating those with an expected lifespan of 2 years or less, would need to be made in the UK and no politician or healthcare worker wants that on their record.

It's a sobering thought, but what's more sobering is that Italy are about to increase it from 2 to 5 years.

Keep quiet Hoddie, you haven't a clue. You can check the flights and where they are coming from.

Breitbart were actually quoting The Sunday Times, if you had read the article you would have seen the link.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-flights-from-italy-iran-and-china-still-landing-3v7363rxr

Edited by Shaytrev

17 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

Keep quiet Hoddie, you haven't a clue. You can check the flights and where they are coming from.

Breitbart were actually quoting The Sunday Times, if you had read the article you would have seen the link.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-flights-from-italy-iran-and-china-still-landing-3v7363rxr

The day I keep quiet when someone actively presents right-wing, nationalistic, chauvinistic, xenophobic, racist shite as the unvarnished truth is the day I'm dead.

They usually do quote other articles, normally out of context it has to be said. They have a very clear agenda to push, they're don't hide it and they're not sorry about it. Every story they publish is twisted to satisfy their agenda and the people who thrive on it. No better than the Daily Star drip-feeding news about Love Island to air-headed lovers of reality TV. I know you're an intelligent guy so you probably accept Breitbart for what it is, you just pretend to look the other way because much of what they publish suits your world view.

So what if the flights show where they're coming from? You think there aren't Brits in China who want/need to come home? Most of the flights coming in and leaving Europe are two-thirds empty now. Besides, you think there isn't still a need to bring mail and cargo from China?

10 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

The day I keep quiet when someone actively presents right-wing, nationalistic, chauvinistic, xenophobic, racist shite as the unvarnished truth is the day I'm dead.

They usually do quote other articles, normally out of context it has to be said. They have a very clear agenda to push, they're don't hide it and they're not sorry about it. Every story they publish is twisted to satisfy their agenda and the people who thrive on it. No better than the Daily Star drip-feeding news about Love Island to air-headed lovers of reality TV. I know you're an intelligent guy so you probably accept Breitbart for what it is, you just pretend to look the other way because much of what they publish suits your world view.

So what if the flights show where they're coming from? You think there aren't Brits in China who want/need to come home? Most of the flights coming in and leaving Europe are two-thirds empty now. Besides, you think there isn't still a need to bring mail and cargo from China?

Hey up, the race card comes out.

Fools like you played the race card in Italy when the opposition asked for flights to be stopped, look at them now.

The left said that would be racist, the demented Mayor of Florence instead had a @hugaChinese day, that worked well didn't it?

https://voiceofeurope.com/2020/03/italy-virologist-says-fears-of-racism-slowed-italys-coronavirus-response-florence-mayor-urged-italians-to-hug-a-chinese/

Edited by Shaytrev

Just now, Shaytrev said:

Hey up, the race card comes out.

Fools like you played the race card in Italy when the opposition asked for flights to be stopped, look at them now.

The left said that would be racist, the demented Mayor of Florence instead had a @hugaChinese day, that worked well didn't it?

It doesn't have anything to do with race. I was merely pointing out that Breitbart is a source of racist material masquerading as news.

2 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

It doesn't have anything to do with race. I was merely pointing out that Breitbart is a source of racist material masquerading as news.

And The British Sunday Times?

9 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

After years of being told by some politicians  that people are living too long nowadays and old people are not just a strain on  the NHS but the whole economy, we are now willing to collapse the world economy so old people don't die.

i thought you was old

Out cycling today i took it upon myself to salute every ambulance (x4) first responder (x1) and on call doctor car(x2) that passed me. I encourage all of you to do the same. If you are out for whatever reason, make the effort to salute/applaud those putting their lives on the line to try and save others. Incidentally that did feel like a hell of a lot of NHS vehicles for one 31 mile ride.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shayman v said:

wouldn't you want saving at any cost then?

More likely to die of boredom before the Corona Virus.

3 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

I passed the Murgatroyd this afternoon (about 2 ish).  No open door or lights then.

I did read an article earlier about some pubs in Scotland defying the instruction and staying open

8 hours ago, Flea said:

Absolute bullshit. Pickers aren’t able to fulfil orders. 92% of online orders in the past week have had missing items. 

However, lets not get bogged down with facts.

Its people being selfish pricks that is the problem here, nothing else.

Sorry Flea didn’t know that as don’t work in that environment 

Figures posted on - line today:- I think these were correct on 21st March not today.

Italy 2 weeks ago 233 deaths. Italy today 4032 (647 in 24 hours)
UK TODAY 233 deaths..

Please STAY AT HOME