Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×

6 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

I am also waiting to find out what the criteria will be. I work from home so pay no business rates, however I do cough up around £20k a year in Corporation Tax and about another £6k in tax on dividends. If it is only based on the business rate you are on then I like around another 750,000 in the same boat will be entitled to nothing.

"There will be a £10,000 cash grant to our smallest businesses, delivered by local authorities. Small businesses that pay little or no business rates and are eligible for small business rate relief (SBBR) or rural rate relief will be contacted by their local authority - they do not need to apply."

Has any of this ever been done before at a national level?

Answer is I think, no it hasn’t. Therefore I think the government and civil service are in completely uncharted waters trying to protect jobs, businesses, mortgages and renters. They have come up with £350,000,000,000 and everybody thinks they are entitled to a share of it and there’s not enough in the first place. Everybody has their own priority, if you pay rent you’re not bothered about anyone paying a mortgage even if it’s the landlord who owns the house you rent!

Edited by Riders of Rohan
  • Like 1

Morrisons was a joke this morning and I got most things from the shop that had spuds, bog roll, pasta, sauces, bread, milk, sweets, all in abundance like nowt is going on. And not at inflated prices either. 

Nowt against our resident supermarket employees but shop at your local shop, butcher, bakery, pharmacy. You'll get what you need. 

Think outside the box and supermarkets aren't the be all and end all. Plus most are greedy and are loving this profit. 

24 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Morrisons was a joke this morning and I got most things from the shop that had spuds, bog roll, pasta, sauces, bread, milk, sweets, all in abundance like nowt is going on. And not at inflated prices either. 

Nowt against our resident supermarket employees but shop at your local shop, butcher, bakery, pharmacy. You'll get what you need. 

Think outside the box and supermarkets aren't the be all and end all. Plus most are greedy and are loving this profit. 

Went to our local farm shop. she informed everyone to keep their packaging such as egg boxes as it was now in short supply and she would have eggs but nowt to put them in.

Have to say I was a little perturbed at their food hygiene with stuff loose on display and some strange behaviour of sniffing at a pack of mince to check if it was “burger mince” ie with onions or mince ie without onions. I think I’d rather take the risk of the onions than have their noses snuffling an inch away from the product.

Life goes on just about, hopefully.

We still use the milkman, remember them.  We've been customers for years but milk and cream only.  We don't do online shopping and so I rang them this morning and somewhat nervously asked if they could add things to our delivery next week.  Basic stuff, bread, eggs, orange juice, butter and cheese.  They do provide many other things.

Was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't a problem and got the impression that they could get their hands on these items quite easily.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lester said:

We still use the milkman, remember them.  We've been customers for years but milk and cream only.  We don't do online shopping and so I rang them this morning and somewhat nervously asked if they could add things to our delivery next week.  Basic stuff, bread, eggs, orange juice, butter and cheese.  They do provide many other things.

Was pleasantly surprised that this wasn't a problem and got the impression that they could get their hands on these items quite easily.

That's right, there is no shortage of supplies, it's just greedy,selfish people buying more than they need!

Strangely this does not seem to be the case in other countries!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bubba said:

"There will be a £10,000 cash grant to our smallest businesses, delivered by local authorities. Small businesses that pay little or no business rates and are eligible for small business rate relief (SBBR) or rural rate relief will be contacted by their local authority - they do not need to apply."

That's fine Bubba if you have to operate from premises which have a rateable value. I work from an office at the back of my home, and deliberately do not have it assessed for business rates as this affects what happens when you sell the house as you can be liable for Capital Gains Tax on the increase in the value of the house. So, for me and thousands of other small businesses we will not qualify.

Funnily enough years ago when I won a contract to supply PC's to local schools, beating the council run department in the tender process, the Council turned up on my doorstep claiming that I was infringing planning permission by running a business from a residential address. They were soon shown the door and have never been back since.

While I don't pay business rates I do pay a lot of indirect taxes as I work away from home a lot and travel both by car and plane. I still have overheads such as an accountant and insurance etc to pay for.  I also act as an unpaid tax collector for HMRC as I am VAT registered. So, if we are to treat all small businesses equally they need to come up with an alternative method rather than trying to palm the responsibility off onto the local authorities, as they have a record of who most small businesses are.

5 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

That's fine Bubba if you have to operate from premises which have a rateable value. I work from an office at the back of my home, and deliberately do not have it assessed for business rates as this affects what happens when you sell the house as you can be liable for Capital Gains Tax on the increase in the value of the house. So, for me and thousands of other small businesses we will not qualify.

Ah sorry, I am with you now. Hope you get somewhere with it.

The financial  consequences of this makes the impact of Brexit look like a game of monopoly, who said gold in the world market is inconsequential in this day and age.

7 hours ago, chrisbo61 said:

That's right, there is no shortage of supplies, it's just greedy,selfish people buying more than they need!

Strangely this does not seem to be the case in other countries!

Really? Try Google coronavirus (enter country) supermarket.  Images of empty shelves in spain, germany and italy.

It is all heading towards a complete lockdown probably before the end of the weekend , only key workers will be allowed out , 20,000 troops being readied .

7 minutes ago, monk said:

It is all heading towards a complete lockdown probably before the end of the weekend , only key workers will be allowed out , 20,000 troops being readied .

And as a key worker, I'd sooner stay indoors and look after my family but I recognise there are more vulnerable people out there who need supporting too. Sometimes I think I'll wake up and this has all been a bad dream. :( 

10 minutes ago, monk said:

Aye, well they had better be British Troops and not any of those near 10,000 troops that have arrived from abroad for 'Joint exercises'

44 minutes ago, Che Bentos said:

And as a key worker, I'd sooner stay indoors and look after my family but I recognise there are more vulnerable people out there who need supporting too. Sometimes I think I'll wake up and this has all been a bad dream. :(

Yup, I'm in the same boat. 

I've been told that unless I have the symptoms I have to keep turning up for work. At the same time I'm living with someone who is being treated for cancer. If I catch it, I may well be fine, but I may be handing someone else a death sentence. Work are simply refusing to accept that its unreasonable to expect me to be in working. 

But hey, least I can get called a C*nt by our customers because we don't have stock. 

31 minutes ago, Flea said:

Yup, I'm in the same boat. 

I've been told that unless I have the symptoms I have to keep turning up for work. At the same time I'm living with someone who is being treated for cancer. If I catch it, I may well be fine, but I may be handing someone else a death sentence. Work are simply refusing to accept that its unreasonable to expect me to be in working. 

But hey, least I can get called a C*nt by our customers because we don't have stock. 

You have rights especially if you are living with somebody with cancer who will be classed as high risk and will have to isolate for 12 weeks .

The new measures brought in today are for people like you who might have to avoid the workplace due to a member of your household having to self isolate .

You will be entitled to a minimum 80% of your monthly salary which is claimed back by your company so it's not costing them anything .

Do not feel under any pressure to go to work the government have brought in these measures for the exact situation you find yourself in.

I've just been reading a terrible interview with an unnamed doctor working in a hospital in London. He seems to think that the COVID 19 outbreak over here could be worse than Italy. 

He said the Italian health system is better equipped and prepared than the NHS. 

We need more testing kits and people need to be tested fast. 

7 hours ago, monk said:

A neighbours lad has been recalled to Catterick along with everyone else, at a  briefing on Thursday they were put on 24 hours standby to be deployed onto our streets. He’s told us that the army has cancelled a major joint operation which was due to take place with many other countries in Poland and they are readying themselves to move onto the nations streets.

52 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

A neighbours lad has been recalled to Catterick along with everyone else, at a  briefing on Thursday they were put on 24 hours standby to be deployed onto our streets. He’s told us that the army has cancelled a major joint operation which was due to take place with many other countries in Poland and they are readying themselves to move onto the nations streets.

We do not have enough Servicemen to Police all our streets. Think about it, every City, Town and Village in Britain, how many?

This is why we need the Home Guard....can anyone else remember the Civil Defense? I think they were set up for to provide support for the services during a nuclear event  

10 hours ago, Che Bentos said:

Me too, but as of yesterday we are dropping like flies with the additional problem that some cannot now get to work due to bus/train rundown.

The schools 'closure' is a farce at present as most will be open due the number of keyworking parents, kids at risk and those with special needs.

This morning Bradford Council have had to sent minibuses that are used Mon-Fri to transport special needs kids to school; up to Keighley and Bingley from their vehicle depot by ther university to collect binmen from home to go to work in Bradford who don't have their own transport.

2 hours ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Fast track training to help out at hospitals , Italy are using troops to drive trucks full of coffins to the morgue .

They keep saying we are on course to replicate Italy or worse , I really hope not , it is absolutely horrendous there.

When we start a full lockdown how will we buy our food? How can you use social distancing in a supermarket full of people? 

I manged to get some spuds today. Yippee.