47 minutes ago, Flea said:

We simply don't have any stock, bar easter eggs and mothers-day flowers in the back.

Its got so bad now that all our promo ends - including EVERY fresh fridge now has easter eggs in it. We have no promo stock to put in the fridges, we have no stock to put in them, we simply have nothing left bar the delivery's when they come in. 

If you want a refrigerated easter egg however....

What is beer stocks like? I know crates of carling, fosters ect are going but are proper ales like Old Crafty Hen and Timothy Taylors landlord being left alone seeing as they aren't as popular? 

I'm hoping that's how I'll still be able to have a drink whilst I can't go to the pub. 

2 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

What is beer stocks like? I know crates of carling, fosters ect are going but are proper ales like Old Crafty Hen and Timothy Taylors landlord being left alone seeing as they aren't as popular? 

I'm hoping that's how I'll still be able to have a drink whilst I can't go to the pub. 

Not out of stock, but a lot lower. I think they will soon be delisted as a non essential item however.

My understanding is that we could soon see a lot of items disappear if things get worse, with focus instead going on to essential items.

People may soon need to accept that they won't get 10 options on beans, or tons of different kinds of bread and that across all supermarkets every one of them will be running the same line for each item - so you will be able to get one brand of beans and it will be the same in every store etc....

I believe all supermarkets will soon be working together with suppliers to make sure we are stocked on every day items to fill demand. The downside of that is expect your choices to be cut right back. We won't have the luxury of being fussy and it will be get what is being produced or go without. 

The contingency plans being put into place is about making sure the nation is kept fed. To do this staple food will be mass produced and will fill shelves. Expect brands and niche items to stop being available. 

49 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I've just been reading that Boris is debating whether to give us all a monthly hand job

I should say I mean cash. 

You had Chadders excited for a minute

15 minutes ago, Flea said:

Not out of stock, but a lot lower. I think they will soon be delisted as a non essential item however.

My understanding is that we could soon see a lot of items disappear if things get worse, with focus instead going on to essential items.

People may soon need to accept that they won't get 10 options on beans, or tons of different kinds of bread and that across all supermarkets every one of them will be running the same line for each item - so you will be able to get one brand of beans and it will be the same in every store etc....

I believe all supermarkets will soon be working together with suppliers to make sure we are stocked on every day items to fill demand. The downside of that is expect your choices to be cut right back. We won't have the luxury of being fussy and it will be get what is being produced or go without. 

The contingency plans being put into place is about making sure the nation is kept fed. To do this staple food will be mass produced and will fill shelves. Expect brands and niche items to stop being available. 

It's getting like comunist Russia. 

16 minutes ago, Flea said:

Cheers.

Im not so fussy anyway. I prefer cheaper brands if I'm honest. I'm going to shop local though and get veg, meat from the market. Don't eat lots of bread and beans anyway. 

I think the only thing I'll need from the supermarket is beer and cleaning products, soap ect.

I don't get why people would be buying extra amounts of short dated items like milk and fresh fruit and veg . Are they really bulk buying things to throw away ?

• Like 1

I have been reading/watching with interest the situation regarding ventilators for use in ITU and the fact that we only have around 5,900 in England and Wales with an estimated 20,000 needed to cope with the expected explosion of Covid-19 victims. In terms of the number of ventilators per head of population the UK ranks very low in relation to other European countries, with Italy having more than we do.

The government have repeatedly told us, Matt Hancock followed the party line on Question Time tonight, that they have it under control, the number of ventilators is increasing each week and we even have 14,000 engineering companies who have volunteered to build the ventilators we may all need.

To my dismay, I then watched Newsnight this evening where they had a piece on this very same issue. In it they interviewed the Managing Director of the biggest manufacturer of ventilators in the UK. He explained that even if they could build enough units it was impossible as they did not have the parts, which came from all over the world. Contrary, to the government's messages about extra units coming on stream very soon, they had yet to receive an order, even though they had been in talks with a couple of government departments. By contrast the German government have placed an order for 10,000 units with a German manufacturer, who is one of the biggest producers in the world.

He was also asked about the idea of having non-medical engineering companies building ventilators from scratch to fill the void. His response was that this was very unlikely as these were medical instruments and would have to go through months, if not years, of medical trials before being approved for use on real patients.

Just who is telling the truth... 

15 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

I don't get why people would be buying extra amounts of short dated items like milk and fresh fruit and veg . Are they really bulk buying things to throw away ?

Don't forget they're genuinely thick people with no consideration for others or how their actions can have a knock on effect that ruins it for all of us. 

A solution could be to keep things loose so it's not in a convenient plastic bag that goes straight in the trolley whilsy playing supermarket sweep and doesn't have to be weighed or take time picking them out. The same with meat. 

11 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

A solution could be to keep things loose so it's not in a convenient plastic bag that goes straight in the trolley whilsy playing supermarket sweep and doesn't have to be weighed or take time picking them out. The same with meat. 

Not a great solution for the current crisis however.

Our fish and hot food counters have closed this week (and have done in every other supermarket, not just Tesco), and our free fruit for kids has also stopped, with the reason being the risk of cross contamination as people handle the food. Whilst we have had no confirmed word on it, I would wager that loose fruit and veg may soon disappear for the same reason and we may see more packaged goods and not less in the short term. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Flea said:

Not a great solution for the current crisis however.

Our fish and hot food counters have closed this week (and have done in every other supermarket, not just Tesco), and our free fruit for kids has also stopped, with the reason being the risk of cross contamination as people handle the food. Whilst we have had no confirmed word on it, I would wager that loose fruit and veg may soon disappear for the same reason and we may see more packaged goods and not less in the short term. 

Not my greatest moment!! Completely forgot about cross contamination. 

People are presumably buying extra bread for the freezer? We've been buying an extra one of the kids crust-less loaves every week and we now have 4 in the freezer, enough to keep the breakfast routine going for a month if/when fresh supplies run out.

Flea's prediction that ranges will be reduced to absolute essentials seems to be a policy here in Belgium too - plenty bread on offer yesterday but probably only 5 variants instead of the usual two dozen.

Our local chemist investigated making their own hand sanitising gel per the WHO guidelines but they couldn't get the raw ingredients never mind the basic equipment.

One supermarket here says that their warehouse is bursting with gels, tissues, wipes, bog rolls and everything else that's in short supply, and that they're pushing five deliveries to stores every day. This was largely ridiculed on their Facebook page by people supposedly unable to get any of these things. I don't understand though because the supermarket I went to yesterday had it all except the hand gel.

Some problems will occur with Countries needing to maintain the levels of importing/exporting goods . You've also got to keep up the production of boxes, tins and cartons to keep supply chains moving . No plastic milk containers would mean no milk even though the milk is there (repeat for every other product)

First weekend since social distancing came in and asking people to avoid pubs , restaurants etc .

Boris is pleading with people to listen to the advise and stay away .

Not a chance , 02 customers are under surveillance .

Unless pubs are shut then they will still attract customers , asking people to do something will be ignored .

Only a complete shutdown will have any affect on the slowing down of this virus , the youth have got into their heads that they are immune .

I hope I am wrong and they listen to the advise but somehow I think they won't .

Saw a pub in Liverpool on St Patrick's Day busier than a normal Saturday night .

At the moment my wife isnt in a position to be able to close her coffee shop until more details about the grants become available. I assume its the same with the local pub where we went last night, for 8 pints, to support our publican. It is very contradictory of the government - 'please dont visit pubs, clubs, restaurants, etc' but no enforced closure. And no, its nothing to do with insurance!

• Like 2

So we are in a position now where people are showing support for local publicans which is very noble but going against government advice to try and stop the spread of the virus .

Until they bring in forced closures and compensate businesses this will continue to happen and make a mockery of the advice given out.

Piss up in a brewery describes this governments handling of this .

But don't forget we being guided by the science .

16 minutes ago, Bubba said:

At the moment my wife isnt in a position to be able to close her coffee shop until more details about the grants become available. I assume its the same with the local pub where we went last night, for 8 pints, to support our publican. It is very contradictory of the government - 'please dont visit pubs, clubs, restaurants, etc' but no enforced closure. And no, its nothing to do with insurance!

That's exactly it - support has been announced but seems few details of actually how to access it. They're telling people not to sack anyone because they're going to reimburse sick pay, but I know of three people who have been laid off rather than being placed on sick. This is one of those circumstances where guidance could have been issued in advance with a bit of foresight. Something like a permanent "extraordinary measures" section of legislation, with details in the Employers Manual for easy access, which could be activated and rescinded in part or in full as necessary by the Chancellor.

8 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

That's exactly it - support has been announced but seems few details of actually how to access it. They're telling people not to sack anyone because they're going to reimburse sick pay, but I know of three people who have been laid off rather than being placed on sick. This is one of those circumstances where guidance could have been issued in advance with a bit of foresight. Something like a permanent "extraordinary measures" section of legislation, with details in the Employers Manual for easy access, which could be activated and rescinded in part or in full as necessary by the Chancellor.

The problem is its easy (well maybe not with a global pandemic) to make the decisions, but there will always be a lag in getting the finer details out there. I know that the small business grants are going to come through the council and luckily saw on Facebook yesterday a post advising business owners to email the council so that they can get in touch when they get the details on how it is going to work. Hopefully it is going to be at some point early next week. What the criteria is going to be will be interesting. Apparently a maximum of £10k for a business of my wife's size but will the full £10k be available? Is it based on turnover? (She has only been open since January). Do we have to prove trading figures? Or is it £10k for all?

Well I have just been on the supermarket run, What a pleasure, hands sanitized on entrance with gloves provided actually asked if I was a pensioner and if so would I like my shopping done for me, all the selves fully stocked  no shortage of anything and also none of the hustle & bustle normally associated with the shopping. Thank you Lanzarote.

22 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Well I have just been on the supermarket run, What a pleasure, hands sanitized on entrance with gloves provided actually asked if I was a pensioner and if so would I like my shopping done for me, all the selves fully stocked  no shortage of anything and also none of the hustle & bustle normally associated with the shopping. Thank you Lanzarote.

was the sun in their eyes ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bubba said:

The problem is its easy (well maybe not with a global pandemic) to make the decisions, but there will always be a lag in getting the finer details out there. I know that the small business grants are going to come through the council and luckily saw on Facebook yesterday a post advising business owners to email the council so that they can get in touch when they get the details on how it is going to work. Hopefully it is going to be at some point early next week. What the criteria is going to be will be interesting. Apparently a maximum of £10k for a business of my wife's size but will the full £10k be available? Is it based on turnover? (She has only been open since January). Do we have to prove trading figures? Or is it £10k for all?

Just been to Aldi locally to get some bread and they now have security/stewards, such as used at Leeds Arena/Elland Road inside and outside the store. What are things coming too.:huh:

4 hours ago, Bubba said:

I am also waiting to find out what the criteria will be. I work from home so pay no business rates, however I do cough up around £20k a year in Corporation Tax and about another £6k in tax on dividends. If it is only based on the business rate you are on then I like around another 750,000 in the same boat will be entitled to nothing.