5 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

It will come over here sooner rather than later as it seems some of the Brits seem to know better and won't listen to advice 

Including my own mother who won't take a blind bit of notice of what I say. She went to London for the day yesterday...

I understand having a healthy distrust of authorities and their actions and advice, but there comes a time when your own common sense should kick in and tell you you're much safer sat on your own couch in front of the TV than being out and about with potentially infected people.

Becoming more and more of a joke at my gaff. Delivery was slightly higher than I expected but didn't arrive till 3pm so missed peak trade,

However still by the time I went home. 

There was no bread. Eggs. Raw meat. Or chicken and other poultry. Freezers were nearly empty the wine was incredibly low. The bulk beer was almost now existent. All the tins beans etc were all gone. 

It's getting embarrassing walking around in my uniform now as the levels are just non existent and it's almost pointless opening. 

The managers claim we wont close which I hope they wont but I have been told if we do and it's there own choice the staff still get full pay, I cant help but think closing for a week and just pumping the depot excess stock into a major town centre store might be the best way forward. Until such a time the depot can supply each individual store to a more tradable level 

Edited by Greggs

1 minute ago, Erik Everhard said:

It needs to be like that here. Then we can get a handle on the virus sooner rather than later. Too many people don't give a damn for others these days. 

I know people will say its freedom of choice and it's their lives but it's also the lives of people they pass it onto. 

I do think it's on its way over here. My guess is sometime next week. 

The areas and countries that have taken it seriously have had the least cases. Sinpapore and even one town in Italy that are aggressively testing people. Anyone that testers see is tested, with their approval. I can't remember the name of the town but its worked and it has the lowest cases in the country, hardly any.

The problem is that you can't compare places like China and Singapore to the UK.

China in particular should be discounted as a direct comparison. Strong suspicion is that they've simply stopped testing those who present with symptoms unless they've recently arrived back in the country, so as to present a "it's no longer us" narrative.

Singapore is a big-brother state. People know how to behave there. If the authorities tell you to stay home for 2 weeks, you bloody well stay home for 2 weeks. There are CCTV cameras absolutely everywhere, and they've used the armed forces to track the virus using aggressive methods, some of which would be illegal in the UK.

I simply don't think it would have been possible to do what Singapore have done in a country as large as the UK. I'm not suggesting I think BoJo is taking the right course of action by delaying the inevitable lock-down, it's not like I can make an informed judgement either way, but people seem to be ignoring the fact that Italy has been on lock down for a while now (relatively speaking) and their stats are still climbing hard. If a lock down was the silver bullet to this thing, every country on the planet would have already done it and the virus would die out naturally soon enough.

I think this is one of those cases where even the experts aren't really experts. We're in unchartered territory and the world is reacting rather than being pro-active, purely because that's the only option right now.

4 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

The problem is that you can't compare places like China and Singapore to the UK.

China in particular should be discounted as a direct comparison. Strong suspicion is that they've simply stopped testing those who present with symptoms unless they've recently arrived back in the country, so as to present a "it's no longer us" narrative.

Singapore is a big-brother state. People know how to behave there. If the authorities tell you to stay home for 2 weeks, you bloody well stay home for 2 weeks. There are CCTV cameras absolutely everywhere, and they've used the armed forces to track the virus using aggressive methods, some of which would be illegal in the UK.

I simply don't think it would have been possible to do what Singapore have done in a country as large as the UK. I'm not suggesting I think BoJo is taking the right course of action by delaying the inevitable lock-down, it's not like I can make an informed judgement either way, but people seem to be ignoring the fact that Italy has been on lock down for a while now (relatively speaking) and their stats are still climbing hard. If a lock down was the silver bullet to this thing, every country on the planet would have already done it and the virus would die out naturally soon enough.

I think this is one of those cases where even the experts aren't really experts. We're in unchartered territory and the world is reacting rather than being pro-active, purely because that's the only option right now.

I think it's a case of building up immunity. 

Hard to call too much at the moment without more mass testing. 

17 minutes ago, Greggs said:

Becoming more and more of a joke at my gaff. Delivery was slightly higher than I expected but didn't arrive till 3pm so missed peak trade,

However still by the time I went home. 

There was no bread. Eggs. Raw meat. Or chicken and other poultry. Freezers were nearly empty the wine was incredibly low. The bulk beer was almost now existent. All the tins beans etc were all gone. 

It's getting embarrassing walking around in my uniform now as the levels are just non existent and it's almost pointless opening. 

The managers claim we wont close which I hope they wont but I have been told if we do and it's there own choice the staff still get full pay, I cant help but think closing for a week and just pumping the depot excess stock into a major town centre store might be the best way forward. Until such a time the depot can supply each individual store to a more tradable level 

We got a delivery around 1.30 today of toilet rolls. 400 packs of varying sizes. 

We are now limiting 1 of each item for each customer.

Our toilet rolls sold out just after 3. 

What is annoying is how much some people are pricks. Later on tonight we had a delivery of Chapati Flour come in. These are huge 10 Kilo bags. Again, we are limiting them to 1 per customer. Within 5 mins of the flour arriving a family of 12 turned up in a mini van - 2 parents, 3 that looked to be late teens and 7 kids - 2 of them very young, all with their own trolly to get a Chapati Flour to "bypass" the one per person policy. They kicked off shouting racism when they were told that we were not accepting that a bunch of kids under the age of 12 were all wanting 10 kilo of flour each....

The problem is people are selfish dicks. This past week or so has really shown the worst of some in our society. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Flea said:

We got a delivery around 1.30 today of toilet rolls. 400 packs of varying sizes. 

What is annoying is how much some people are pricks. Later on tonight we had a delivery of Chapati Flour come in. These are huge 10 Kilo bags. Again, we are limiting them to 1 per customer. Within 5 mins of the flour arriving a family of 12 turned up in a mini van - 2 parents, 3 that looked to be late teens and 7 kids - 2 of them very young, all with their own trolly to get a Chapati Flour to "bypass" the one per person policy. They kicked off shouting racism when they were told that we were not accepting that a bunch of kids under the age of 12 were all wanting 10 kilo of flour each....

The problem is people are selfish dicks. This past week or so has really shown the worst of some in our society. 

Well done to the workers at Tescos for telling the sneaky scum to put it back. 

They should have cut their bags open and poured it all over them. Then. Maybe a few litres of milk and several dozen eggs. We could have made a decent meal out of them. Canabalism anyone? Oops that's not for another month yet. 

Only joking I'm a pescatarian. 

Keep the supermarket info coming Flea it's good to hear how things are going. 

Cheers. 

3 minutes ago, Flea said:

See we are still at 3 per person. But its getting roundly ignored to the point a member of staff is literally just walking round with a trolley of stuff to put back on the shelf that people have tried to buy in bulk. I have seen people disregarding this rule too but I haven't got involved because I dont want verbally abusing. 

It's really a crazy situation and the level of abuse you get from some people is just way out of line.

We had our first day of the 1 hour for elderly customers today and wow there were lines of people outside waiting to get in. Every till was open at 7:10 this morning and I have seen photos from a security guard showing me lines of people down each aisle. 

I've been trying to help out people who I see are in distress by trying to give them the upper hand by telling them usual delivery times for certain items are just to give them the upper hand. 

We had many complaints that the shopping time for the elderly was too early and we should have it at lunch time. Its just not feasible too do that as boris from Jack's plasterers wants to come in for his lunch at that time. 

You simply cannot please everyone what ever we are trying to do is getting thrown back in our faces

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greggs said:

See we are still at 3 per person. But its getting roundly ignored to the point a member of staff is literally just walking round with a trolley of stuff to put back on the shelf that people have tried to buy in bulk. I have seen people disregarding this rule too but I haven't got involved because I dont want verbally abusing. 

It's really a crazy situation and the level of abuse you get from some people is just way out of line.

We had our first day of the 1 hour for elderly customers today and wow there were lines of people outside waiting to get in. Every till was open at 7:10 this morning and I have seen photos from a security guard showing me lines of people down each aisle. 

I've been trying to help out people who I see are in distress by trying to give them the upper hand by telling them usual delivery times for certain items are just to give them the upper hand. 

We had many complaints that the shopping time for the elderly was too early and we should have it at lunch time. Its just not feasible too do that as boris from Jack's plasterers wants to come in for his lunch at that time. 

You simply cannot please everyone what ever we are trying to do is getting thrown back in our faces

Yeah, it must be difficult and incredibly frustrating. 

As others have said nobody is avoiding a mass gathering of they go to the supermarket. I tried my best to keep my distance from people tonight but its almost impossible to do it. 

I'm going to have to bite the bullet tomorrow because I've not got much food left. If I can get a loaf some tatties and maybe four ready meals then I'm sorted. Perhaps some more milk and beans if they've been delivered. That, on top of what I already have will last me a good 5 days and then I've no need to go back for nearly a week. 

I think it's a great idea to give OAP's an hour time slot to shop in. Maybe all supermarkets could do something similar? 

2 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Yeah, it must be difficult and incredibly frustrating. 

As others have said nobody is avoiding a mass gathering of they go to the supermarket. I tried my best to keep my distance from people tonight but its almost impossible to do it. 

I'm going to have to bite the bullet tomorrow because I've not got much food left. If I can get a loaf some tatties and maybe four ready meals then I'm sorted. Perhaps some more milk and beans if they've been delivered. That, on top of what I already have will last me a good 5 days and then I've no need to go back for nearly a week. 

I think it's a great idea to give OAP's an hour time slot to shop in. Maybe all supermarkets could do something similar? 

Problem is with our store and i think most Sainsburys is the deliveries come at different times so you'll have your fresh items first thing in the morning at opening times but the grocery items are a completely separate delivery later on in the day so there's no right time to do it. It is a good idea it's just implementing it to give them the best benefit is hard 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greggs said:

Oh we have had it all this week. 

I got called a C*nt on Sunday as I wouldn't go look in the back for some flour - I told the customer we had no stock in the back other than Easter Eggs, but they demanded I went to check. I told them there was no need to check as I'd just been in the warehouse, I am the person checking and ordering the stock, and I knew there was none in. 

Had at least 3 people this week saying we have the stock in the back and are refusing to stock the shelves for whatever reason, plus a few saying the staff are taking all the "good" items for themselves. 

A Woman on Monday simply refusing to believe we didn't have any potatoes. She ended up throwing a cabbage at another member of staff telling them "I don't want this then, I'll go elsewhere". That member of staff is now sporting a black eye...

Today I've been accused of removing all the promotions on our stock (Note, its the company that has done this on multibuy offers for now as they are trying to combat mass buying) and that its a ploy to make money off people. 

Also apparently we have removed the free fruit for kids to save money...

I'm a first aider in store. We had an incident earlier where someone was not feeling well. I went to put on a pair of gloves before dealing with them (not taking any chances), left the medical box on the side of the chair whilst dealing with the person. Noticed after I had finished that two further pairs of gloves had been taken whilst I was dealing with my incident. 

The best one is "What do you mean you don't have any of (Insert item here), when you getting it back in"? Must be getting that at least 20 times a shift. "Why can't you stock the shelves properly"?

We sold more stock this week than we did on week 43 (That is Xmas week for non retail staff). That is with a third of the staff and with no extra delivery's. All the staff have got this week is abuse and stick for it. We are pretty much sitting ducks having to deal with the public regardless of how much worse this gets, I don't think anyone cares about how worried we are though, its all about them not being able to buy a ****ing toilet roll. Which they would be able to do if they stopped hoarding like pricks. 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Greggs said:

Problem is with our store and i think most Sainsburys is the deliveries come at different times so you'll have your fresh items first thing in the morning at opening times but the grocery items are a completely separate delivery later on in the day so there's no right time to do it. It is a good idea it's just implementing it to give them the best benefit is hard 

So spuds would be in the fresh produce delivery and say bread at a later time? 

I might have to make two trips tomorrow. 

I might take a baseball bat as well because its gonna start getting a bit lively before long. 

As an aside,  from Sunday Tesco large stores are opening an hour earlier for NHS staff (and Tesco staff) to do shopping before regular customers. This is hopefully going to be a continual thing for the foreseeable. You will need some form of NHS ID or Tesco staff ID to get in the store and be served early. 

If you know anyone working for the NHS by all means tell them that the Aachen Way store is doing this and to get up there if they need stock. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flea said:

As an aside,  from Sunday Tesco large stores are opening an hour earlier for NHS staff (and Tesco staff) to do shopping before regular customers. This is hopefully going to be a continual thing for the foreseeable. You will need some form of NHS ID or Tesco staff ID to get in the store and be served early. 

If you know anyone working for the NHS by all means tell them that the Aachen Way store is doing this and to get up there if they need stock. 

Brilliant. Well done Tesco.

6 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

So spuds would be in the fresh produce delivery and say bread at a later time? 

I might have to make two trips tomorrow. 

I might take a baseball bat as well because its gonna start getting a bit lively before long. 

So produce would come on a delivery wagon as there is significant amounts of it. Whereas the bread delivery would come on well a bread wagon, these are smaller but that's just because we are a smaller store. Both these items should be available at the start of trade, as would eggs and milk. However because the shelves are almost empty at the time of the delivery there is no way this delivery is even going to touch the sides of what is needed, all your meat and poultry items would also be on this delivery however it's the same problem it's just not touching the sides. 

The grocery items so your toilet rolls. Crisps. Tins (beans) etc would be a lunchtime delivery unless luckily they have managed to get it ready to go on with the fresh delivery as advanced. 

However this is Sainsburys specific I think. I couldn't tell you if this is the process in other companies I.e Tesco. Morrisons etc

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Flea said:

I got called a C*nt on Sunday as I wouldn't go look in the back for some flour - I told the customer we had no stock in the back other than Easter Eggs, but they demanded I went to check. I told them there was no need to check as I'd just been in the warehouse, I am the person checking and ordering the stock, and I knew there was none in. 

Had at least 3 people this week saying we have the stock in the back and are refusing to stock the shelves for whatever reason, plus a few saying the staff are taking all the "good" items for themselves. 

A Woman on Monday simply refusing to believe we didn't have any potatoes. She ended up throwing a cabbage at another member of staff telling them "I don't want this then, I'll go elsewhere". That member of staff is now sporting a black eye...

Today I've been accused of removing all the promotions on our stock (Note, its the company that has done this on multibuy offers for now as they are trying to combat mass buying) and that its a ploy to make money of people. 

I'm a first aider in store. We had an incident earlier where someone was not feeling well. I went to put on a pair of gloves before dealing with them (not taking any chances), left the medical box on the side of the chair whilst dealing with the person. Noticed after I had finished that two further pairs of gloves had been taken whilst I was dealing with my incident. 

The best one is "What do you mean you don't have any of (Insert item here), when you getting it back in"? Must be getting that at least 20 times a shift. "Why can't you stock the shelves properly"?

We sold more stock this week than we did on week 43 (That is Xmas week for non retail staff). That is with a third of the staff and with no extra delivery's. All the staff have got this week is abuse and stick for it. We are pretty much sitting ducks having to deal with the public regardless of how much worse this gets, I don't think anyone cares about how worried we are though, its all about them not being able to buy a ****ing toilet roll. Which they would be able to do if they stopped hoarding like pricks. 

Well we have actually been hording it in the back so they are right in our case but obviously it's out of sight so they cant prove anything. 

The simple reason being we are open for 14 hours a day and we want to offer Toilet rolls and beans to everyone throughout the day not just for Rod and Todd between 12 and 1 for example 

Luckily I've managed to disarm most of the customers by engaging with them first and just trying to make a joke out of the situation most of them have bought it to be fair. The way I see it some of them want to just blow up out of nowhere and if I start it they cant really do that. Seems to be working for me 

However this is Sainsburys specific I think. I couldn't tell you if this is the process in other companies I.e Tesco. Morrisons etc

At the moment we are in the same boat with deliveries.

We sold out of milk around 5PM tonight. Our milk delivery comes in around 8PM for the following day. As we had no milk out, we put it straight out onto the shop floor. Our over stock is 4 cages of milk (Out of a delivery of 40 cages). We'd sold a good 25% of it up to me leaving at 10. By tomorrow lunch I expect it will be gone. 

Our milk comes separate from our bread and our produce/meat come on a different delivery. We are struggling to get bread in full stop at the moment. The produce and meat that has come in tonight like with you, won't touch the sides in filling up what we have sold - and once put out we again will have zero back stock. 

Our delivery's have increased in volume by 66% in the past week. The next week we are aiming to get in double what we normally get. Our sales, like for like compared to last year is up by 640% however. We have pretty much doubled what we can get in, and are trying to get more in, however every store is in the same boat. However, the panic and mass buying has meant that even by doubling our inventory we are selling more than we can hold. 

Well we have actually been hording it in the back so they are right in our case but obviously it's out of sight so they cant prove anything. 

We simply don't have any stock, bar easter eggs and mothers-day flowers in the back.

Its got so bad now that all our promo ends - including EVERY fresh fridge now has easter eggs in it. We have no promo stock to put in the fridges, we have no stock to put in them, we simply have nothing left bar the delivery's when they come in. 

If you want a refrigerated easter egg however....

2 minutes ago, Flea said:

At the moment we are in the same boat with deliveries.

We sold out of milk around 5PM tonight. Our milk delivery comes in around 8PM for the following day. As we had no milk out, we put it straight out onto the shop floor. Our over stock is 4 cages of milk (Out of a delivery of 40 cages). We'd sold a good 25% of it up to me leaving at 10. By tomorrow lunch I expect it will be gone. 

Our milk comes separate from our bread and our produce/meat come on a different delivery. We are struggling to get bread in full stop at the moment. The produce and meat that has come in tonight like with you, won't touch the sides in filling up what we have sold - and once put out we again will have zero back stock. 

Our delivery's have increased in volume by 66% in the past week. The next week we are aiming to get in double what we normally get. Our sales, like for like compared to last year is up by 640% however. We have pretty much doubled what we can get in, and are trying to get more in, however every store is in the same boat. However, the panic and mass buying has meant that even by doubling our inventory we are selling more than we can hold. 

Doing better than us then we didn't have any milk left at 11 this morning. :D

21 minutes ago, Greggs said:

So produce would come on a delivery wagon as there is significant amounts of it. Whereas the bread delivery would come on well a bread wagon, these are smaller but that's just because we are a smaller store. Both these items should be available at the start of trade, as would eggs and milk. However because the shelves are almost empty at the time of the delivery there is no way this delivery is even going to touch the sides of what is needed, all your meat and poultry items would also be on this delivery however it's the same problem it's just not touching the sides. 

The grocery items so your toilet rolls. Crisps. Tins (beans) etc would be a lunchtime delivery unless luckily they have managed to get it ready to go on with the fresh delivery as advanced. 

Thanks for that mate. 

12 minutes ago, Flea said:

We simply don't have any stock, bar easter eggs and mothers-day flowers in the back.

Its got so bad now that all our promo ends - including EVERY fresh fridge now has easter eggs in it. We have no promo stock to put in the fridges, we have no stock to put in them, we simply have nothing left bar the delivery's when they come in. 

If you want a refrigerated easter egg however....

Easter eggs and flower pie it is then. 

I've just been reading that Boris is debating whether to give us all a monthly hand out. I should say I mean cash. 

The orange bloke in charge of America is going to hand out a thousand dollars a month to ALL Americans whilst the COVID 19 outbreak is in full flow. 

I hope we all get some extra money but part of me thinks that people are just going to want to spend more cash on groceries that aren't there. But I suppose the new measures put in place by supermarkets should see a bit of common sense prevail. 

1 minute ago, Erik Everhard said:

I've just been reading that Boris is debating whether to give us all a monthly hand out. I should say I mean cash. 

As usual though it will those of us working that will get sod all, whilst those doing nothing pick up a bonus. 

I can fully see it now "Those that can't work due to the Coronavirus will be given a payment to help see them through, this is to supplement missing wages. Those working still have the wage so won't get the payment"...

3 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

The orange bloke in charge of America is going to hand out a thousand dollars a month to ALL Americans whilst the COVID 19 outbreak is in full flow. 

I hope we all get some extra money but part of me thinks that people are just going to want to spend more cash on groceries that aren't there. But I suppose the new measures put in place by supermarkets should see a bit of common sense prevail. 

They cant spend money on what's not there. You can tell which items are shite at a time like this though an entire empty beer section with just 18 cans of special brew on the shelf :D

I'd be surprised stores will be able to recover in under a month and that wont start until people stop taking the piss on a daily basis 

5 minutes ago, Flea said:

As usual though it will those of us working that will get sod all, whilst those doing nothing pick up a bonus. 

I can fully see it now "Those that can't work due to the Coronavirus will be given a payment to help see them through, this is to supplement missing wages. Those working still have the wage so won't get the payment"...

Not according to the article I read. It would be everyone whether working or not and not depending on how much earn either. So a postman would get the same amount as the head of a bank. 

It's to try and stimulate the economy which I've read could lose 20% of GDP. 

It could be good for Town because everyone will have a little bit extra cash to spend. 

Although I suppose some people that work for smaller firms and shops etc could potentially lose their jobs. 

1 hour ago, Flea said:

Today I've been accused of removing all the promotions on our stock (Note, its the company that has done this on multibuy offers for now as they are trying to combat mass buying) and that its a ploy to make money of people. 

Saw what it was like last week at morrisons with bad people so must be really bad for you guys now its got worse but keep doing your best and prove your a better person than these idiots.

• Like 1