46 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Latest Goverment figures:-

Around the world, there are now 222,000 confirmed cases of covid-19 including 9,100 deaths.

Around 84,500 people have recovered from the illness since the outbreak began at the end of last year.

Very poor figures. I would have expected a much better survival rate. A slightly over 10% mortality rate is worrying and I was expecting somewhere in the region of 1 to 2%.

13 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Very poor figures. I would have expected a much better survival rate. A slightly over 10% mortality rate is worrying and I was expecting somewhere in the region of 1 to 2%.

The main of the testing if of 'at risk people that are demonstrating signs'

19 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

it's around 4% - still worryingly high though

3 minutes ago, steve lumb said:

it's around 4% - still worryingly high though

Remember that not everyone is being tested, even those who present with mild symptoms.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Remember that not everyone is being tested, even those who present with mild symptoms.

And that's where we as a country are failing. Have a look online and see what Singapore did. Amazing. 

I ventured out to my local mini supermarket and I noticed a bug difference in their stock levels today. 

No bread and tatties again but no surprise there. But now tins of beans and spaghetti had more or less run out. I went over to the freezers and they're starting to look bare too. Even all the vegan and vegi stuff has been almost cleared out which really pissed me off. 

I reckon soup will be the next one to go because that is looking low as well but at least there was some spinach and chick pea left which is delicious. 

Third time lucky tomorrow when I'll attempt to buy a loaf of bread and some potatoes. 

2 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

According to my abacus 9100 out of 220,000 is a tad north of 4%

8 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I ventured out to my local mini supermarket and I noticed a bug difference in their stock levels today. 

No bread and tatties again but no surprise there. But now tins of beans and spaghetti had more or less run out. I went over to the freezers and they're starting to look bare too. Even all the vegan and vegi stuff has been almost cleared out which really pissed me off. 

I reckon soup will be the next one to go because that is looking low as well but at least there was some spinach and chick pea left which is delicious. 

Third time lucky tomorrow when I'll attempt to buy a loaf of bread and some potatoes. 

Market traders are saying they have plenty of food available

40 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

Market traders are saying they have plenty of food available

The trouble is it means going into Leeds. If I wasn't in an at risk group I'd go and buy from the market but I am so I'm being very careful where I go and how far etc. 

I watched people putting things into their baskets tonight who have probably already stockpiled a shed load of food and are now picking the bones off the rest of it as responsible shoppers like me wonder what I'll be eating after tomorrow. 

It looks like the good old British spirit has been almost lost and mot many of us actually give a damn about anyone else anymore. 

A sad state of affairs. 

Edited by Erik Everhard
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Hey up Erik, I just had a thought. Flour, yeast, and have a go at baking some bread. I might have a go myself actually. Wife says its quite easy and whats the worst that could happen.

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

Hey up Erik, I just had a thought. Flour, yeast, and have a go at baking some bread. I might have a go myself actually. Wife says its quite easy and whats the worst that could happen.

Funny you should say that because it seems that many other people that live near me have had the same idea. 

As I was looking in the freezer section I overheard a chap ask a member of staff if they had any yeast. She went and asked another chap that stacks the shelves and he said no but we should hopefully have a delivery in tomorrow. 

It's a good idea though Tommy. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Good luck in finding bread flour or yeast, I have made my own bread for years, can I find either of the former, can I f**k. The locusts have stripped the lot, hope they all end up with the runs then they can use the bog rolls they have no doubt hoarded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Roy Race said:

Good luck in finding bread flour or yeast, I have made my own bread for years, can I find either of the former, can I f**k. The locusts have stripped the lot, hope they all end up with the runs then they can use the bog rolls they have no doubt hoarded.

People are really just the pits. This whole situation is just going to show how selfish the vast majority of people are when push comes to shove. We are now getting very close to the fighting and looting stages. I Said to the wife three weeks ago that it would come and its coming, the troops will be on the streets and martial law will be enforced. There will be those out there that will decry me for this statement, but have a listen and a read to the comments being made by some very naively stupid people who think we are playing games here. This is a very real situation and people need to wake up very quickly. (Belatedly)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

People are really just the pits. This whole situation is just going to show how selfish the vast majority of people are when push comes to shove. We are now getting very close to the fighting and looting stages. I Said to the wife three weeks ago that it would come and its coming, the troops will be on the streets and martial law will be enforced. There will be those out there that will decry me for this statement, but have a listen and a read to the comments being made by some very naively stupid people who think we are playing games here. This is a very real situation and people need to wake up very quickly. (Belatedly)

The looting has already started. I saw footage of a store being looted in South London. 

It shows up what kind of country we are now living in. But there are still plenty of decent people about but just mot enough. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it kicked off in prisons too. 

Just been told by the charity champion at Asda that they have had to ring the food bank to come and collect the items in their charity trolley as people are stealing stuff out of it. Absolute scum of the earth

• Sad 1

Just now, Papa Lazarou said:

Just been told by the charity champion at Asda that they have had to ring the food bank to come and collect the items in their charity trolley as people are stealing stuff out of it. Absolute scum of the earth

That's what society is up against now. People that have absolutely no thought for anyone else but themselves. 

23 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

The looting has already started. I saw footage of a store being looted in South London. 

Confirmed as fake. There's a good chance it'll happen but it hasn't yet.

22 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

It shows up what kind of country we are now living in. But there are still plenty of decent people about but just mot enough. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it kicked off in prisons too. 

We are a short leap away from people being mugged as they leave the shops & supermarkets.

• Like 1

And some of these   are posh people who seem to think they have a divine right to stock up with things they don't really need.

Belgium is now on lock down, only essential trips for shopping, etc. Most stores now closed. Went to the nearest supermarket which was a slightly unnerving experience. It had three checkouts open, card payments only, and a couple of members of staff on shelf-stacking duty. As I wandered around I counted only 5 other customers. Seems like Belgians are taking the lock down seriously.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

Confirmed as fake. There's a good chance it'll happen but it hasn't yet.

Ah I did wonder. I saw it on Facebook and wondered if it was a picture taken from the spate of looting about 7 years ago. 

Edited by Erik Everhard

1 minute ago, Hoddie said:

Belgium is now on lock down, only essential trips for shopping, etc. Most stores now closed. Went to the nearest supermarket which was a slightly unnerving experience. It had three checkouts open, card payments only, and a couple of members of staff on shelf-stacking duty. As I wandered around I counted only 5 other customers. Seems like Belgians are taking the lock down seriously.

It will come over here sooner rather than later as it seems some of the Brits seem to know better and won't listen to advice 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hoddie said:

It needs to be like that here. Then we can get a handle on the virus sooner rather than later. Too many people don't give a damn for others these days. 

I know people will say its freedom of choice and it's their lives but it's also the lives of people they pass it onto. 

I do think it's on its way over here. My guess is sometime next week. 

The areas and countries that have taken it seriously have had the least cases. Sinpapore and even one town in Italy that are aggressively testing people. Anyone that testers see is tested, with their approval. I can't remember the name of the town but its worked and it has the lowest cases in the country, hardly any.

Edited by Erik Everhard