38 minutes ago, Norm said:

Kept out of this for the most part, however for what it's worth here's my view.

Without knowing the full facts it seems that DC has at least broken the spirit of the lockdown even if he didn't actually break the actual rules. In that instance he should have come out earlier, fully explained himself and apologised profusely for any offence.

Boris should have been far stronger in his condemnation rather than giving him a get out of jail free card.

However, let's be honest about what a great part of this is actually about  DC has rubbed up a large part of the establish civil service, added to the fact that he lead the vote leave campaign and the liberal elite have long had him marked down as someone who needs taking down.

This is their opportunity and they aren't letting go.

He’s also built a successful political career out of demonising ‘unelected and unaccountable bureaucrats’.

Edited by themanwhowasntthere
  • Like 1
  • Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think people may know that I am biased toward the NHS. In the past couple of weeks my dad has complained of chest and back pain. He is 90 and fairly fit, for his age. It got worse on Friday and we r

I must admit how some are using the pandemic as a chance to political point score is depressing. No country could have been prepared for it - you could argue countries could have been better prepared

It's full of nutters Funky. Silly idiots treating it like it's every man for themself and itake all too selfish.   I've some time on my hands so if anybody elderly or who live on their own and ca

Posted Images

4 hours ago, never_shay_die said:

Whilst his position is clearly untenable and the Govt rush to support him is indefensible, this quote is completely unsubstantiated. 

In order to be balanced I will fact check it and respond. I do not immediately have this to hand, but I am fairly sure that I did read very early on in the Covid crisis that Mr Cummings had made such a statment, that a few old people might die along the way

Just checked and came across this:

Downing Street has denied suggestions that the prime minister’s chief adviser was prepared to let the elderly die to protect the economy after Labour accused the government of having sickening attitudes.

No 10 said that it was “highly defamatory” to suggest that Dominic Cummings was relaxed about letting older people die in order to minimise the economic fallout of coronavirus.

The row arose over a story in The Sunday Times about a meeting at the end of last month at which Mr Cummings set out the government’s plan. One person there was quoted as describing Mr Cummings’s strategy as “herd immunity, protect the economy, and if that means some pensioners die, too bad”.

Now the article on the 23rd March in the Times purports to explain how 10 Downing Street refuted the allegation against Mr Cummings, but in light of the current shitstorm, it appears that the man has form, and I do not currently have much faith in any statements from No. 10 defending this unelected puppet master. 

Edited by ITMAN
1 hour ago, ITMAN said:

In order to be balanced I will fact check it and respond. I do not immediately have this to hand, but I am fairly sure that I did read very early on in the Covid crisis that Mr Cummings had made such a statment, that a few old people might die along the way

Just checked and came across this:

Downing Street has denied suggestions that the prime minister’s chief adviser was prepared to let the elderly die to protect the economy after Labour accused the government of having sickening attitudes.

No 10 said that it was “highly defamatory” to suggest that Dominic Cummings was relaxed about letting older people die in order to minimise the economic fallout of coronavirus.

The row arose over a story in The Sunday Times about a meeting at the end of last month at which Mr Cummings set out the government’s plan. One person there was quoted as describing Mr Cummings’s strategy as “herd immunity, protect the economy, and if that means some pensioners die, too bad”.

Now the article on the 23rd March in the Times purports to explain how 10 Downing Street refuted the allegation against Mr Cummings, but in light of the current shitstorm, it appears that the man has form, and I do not currently have much faith in any statements from No. 10 defending this unelected puppet master. 

Like I said... unsubstantiated.  

Not defending his breaking of the lock down rules at all.  But this is he said, she said.  People will choose to believe it and I'm not necessarily saying he didn't say it, but that's power of the press.  People will believe whatever is in print if it suits their agenda, and not believe it of it does not suit their agenda.  Partisan politics as ever.

Edited by never_shay_die

If only. This government has shown what they think of the population. One rule for them and the famous another for the common people. 

Wonder if the Conservatives can muster enough support for a vote of no confidence in Bojo and force a leadership challenge?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Shaymen2008 said:

If only. This government has shown what they think of the population. One rule for them and the famous another for the common people. 

Wonder if the Conservatives can muster enough support for a vote of no confidence in Bojo and force a leadership challenge?

Be careful what you wish for. It has been noted that Priti Patel has been conspicuous by her absence from giving support for or against BoJo and Cummings. She appears to be keeping her powder dry for now.

God forbid if she was the alternative to BoJ. Hancock is a waste of space and Gove should not be allowed anywhere near Downing Street if at all possible.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Be careful what you wish for. It has been noted that Priti Patel has been conspicuous by her absence from giving support for or against BoJo and Cummings. She appears to be keeping her powder dry for now.

God forbid if she was the alternative to BoJ. Hancock is a waste of space and Gove should not be allowed anywhere near Downing Street if at all possible.

I’d say Patel’s chances of being promoted even further than her already ludicrously elevated position are less than eleventy thousand, six hundred and three hundred and five percent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

This countries gone from a laughing stock to a side splitting hysterical howl in three months!

I see the House of Horrors has just ushered in anew bill that lowers our food safety limits which means we'll soon see loads of  cheap food imports from around the world flooding in, especially American food, stuffed with chemicals.

36 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

I see the House of Horrors has just ushered in anew bill that lowers our food safety limits which means we'll soon see loads of  cheap food imports from around the world flooding in, especially American food, stuffed with chemicals.

Not till next year at least, and possibly longer if we have not left the EU by the promised deadline. As most of the "decision makers" ID Cummings esq) have been laid up it appears that progress with the talks have stalled over fishing rights etc whilst putting at risk 70% of the economy i.e. the Services industry, mainly insurance and banking. It was my understanding that these tasks needed to be concluded by the end of June in order to allow sufficient time for any ratification by all 27 member states of the agreement.

I fear that we will have another missed deadline and the reason/excuse this time will be the virus. While I must admit the virus has knocked a huge hole in any planning they had lined up, it would make sense now for the govt to be honest with the public that it could be delayed instead of going through the same exercise of bleating some mantra thought up by an advisor rather than being open and honest.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

Brexit britain mate, 51st state of the USA!

Apparantly part of any deal with the USA would be the removal of country of origin labels on foodstuffs!

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, Jmc said:

Apparently not a single death in the last 9 days In either Calderdale or Hri of covid, Hopefully we’re out of the other side now 

Fingers crossed! We have got away fairly lightly here in Calderdale!

9 minutes ago, Jmc said:

Apparently not a single death in the last 9 days In either Calderdale or Hri of covid, Hopefully we’re out of the other side now 

Leeds managed 2 days without a death too. 

As long we don't have a spike after the bank holiday, things are looking good. 

• Like 1

Why is anyone surprised at the actions of this government?

Surely everyone knew what a shower of shite they are?

Just shows there are some incredibly gullible people out there.

3 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

How dare you!

All a storm in a teacup. Did Cummings put anyone at risk? No.

Just a media frenzy. About time restrictions were introduced to stop this sort of nonsense.

Time we got back to normal.

Protect the old and vulnerable while all the lazy people who are enjoying a paid holiday go back to work.

Who dreamed up 2 meters social distancing? Most people are just paying lip service to it. Go in Tesco Express at Free School Lane. Made to queue outside then it's a free for all inside jostling with other customers and staff stacking shelves. Absolute nonsense.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Hands Off The Shay said:

How dare you!

All a storm in a teacup. Did Cummings put anyone at risk? No.

Just a media frenzy. About time restrictions were introduced to stop this sort of nonsense.

Time we got back to normal.

Protect the old and vulnerable while all the lazy people who are enjoying a paid holiday go back to work.

Who dreamed up 2 meters social distancing? Most people are just paying lip service to it. Go in Tesco Express at Free School Lane. Made to queue outside then it's a free for all inside jostling with other customers and staff stacking shelves. Absolute nonsense.

Thanks for proving my point! Well done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, chrisbo61 said:

Don’t remember all this frenzy about prince Charles when he traveled to Scotland whilst displaying symptoms 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52033845

or is that because he isn’t a Tory adviser

48 minutes ago, neilstewart said:

Don’t remember all this frenzy about prince Charles when he traveled to Scotland whilst displaying symptoms 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52033845

or is that because he isn’t a Tory adviser

No, because he had travelled to Scotland first and then been tested by the NHS there before self isolating, according to the article.

Edited by ITMAN
correction after reading the whole content