Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Why is it ?

We need to get in people's heads. Be a constant reminder to them that we have a football team. 

I've just done a little bit of advertising and asking nightclubs, pubs, MP's to spread the word.  Asked DJ's in town to give it an announcement tonight.  

We can all muck in. Mention it at work. 

This town DOES want to a football club. 

5 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

I dont know the answer Shaytrev. it pains me as much as the next true town fan. but I am a realist, how much better do we have to be to get a good solid regular 2.5 / 3000 into the shay. I really want us to get promoted that goes without saying. We start the season on a high but again history would suggest that it would be tough. So by Christmas there will be me and 1900 other people at the shay on Saturday home games, continued struggle would see us back down at 1300, the hardcore. I would love to be wrong, I really would but look at the game against Chorley in the playoff at the shay, 8000, Wembley we took about 8000, where are they. where are half of them now. it speaks volumes mate.

We took 13,600 to Wembley.

I have said a million times on here, only sustained success  over more than one season will bring fans to The Shay.  The odd blip will waken nobody.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaytrev said:

We took 13,600 to Wembley.

I have said a million times on here, only sustained success  over more than one season will bring fans to The Shay.  The odd blip will waken nobody.

Spot on.

The board has put on a good offer for this season which has increased our attendance in this league by quite a distance, but there is only so much we can do whilst we are still at this level.

Pretty much regardless of what we charge we will struggle to bring in 2,500 average in this league. Not least because of the generally small away followings. If we want to build attendances further, promotion should be the main aim.

I keep saying being in the league now is vastly different to back then Tommy, we would av. 3500 with the teams in there, then there is the million from fa and the extra cup games.

You missed a cracker that night 7-0.

The board have concentrated on the corporate side , they said they had alot of bridges to build when the club went bust and that is where the money is , that's fair enough but they have neglected the ordinary fan until this season that is , and we should top over 2000 average .

Is this not as high as we have ever been in the 10 years they have run the club , I don't remember ever being still in with a shout of winning the league albeit unlikely but in a great position to secure a play off place , the key now is to build on this success .

Most fans for one reason or another cannot attend every game and take that into account when purchasing a season ticket , most fans I know bought a season ticket and said immediately "It doesn't matter if I can't get to every game I won't lose out anyway " 

It's a win/win for both club and fans , 50 different  season ticket holders might be missing from every home due to other commitments but the fan doesn't lose out and the board got that money up front .

I hope with us competing at the top and a good run in plus a lucrative play off game and hopefully a final it will be a financial success and the board continue with it , that's the key to improving your fan base , get em in regularly and get em hooked .

It's all dependant on how successful we are on the pitch , that goes without saying but success is easier if you have decent backing and a good atmosphere in the stands .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hunsworthhound said:

I was Terry Shanahan who scored the hatrick that night. the only person who has ever played league football who was born on the same day as me

That’s really sad, at so many levels. Mainly that you have researched to find out.

Terry Shanahan lived at Norton Tower on the same estate as Fred Kemp. A friend of mine lived next door to Fred, I was very jealous, until I met him and he was a little disappointing. Never mind.

Edited by Riders of Rohan
Friend instead of fried.

14 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

That’s really sad, at so many levels. Mainly that you have researched to find out.

Terry Shanahan lived at Norton Tower on the same estate as Fred Kemp. A friend of mine lived next door to Fred, I was very jealous, until I met him and he was a little disappointing. Never mind.

Fred would take it as a compliment that he was only a little disappointing

• Haha 1

Comparison made to Rochdale 

how about Stockport .. same league as us 

lower in the league.. the challenge of being  near the Manchester’s clubs add in Oldham Bolton Wigan Liverpool Everton Preston etc 

yet they get more than double than we do 

This thread is not just about attendance 

it’s about them lack of excitement about being third .. it seems very few in here have any real confidence about our hope of getting promotion 

what does it take to give s that belief.. it we don’t believe we can do it .. why should the players 

10 minutes ago, Nick said:

it’s about them lack of excitement about being third .. it seems very few in here have any real confidence about our hope of getting promotion 

what does it take to give s that belief.. it we don’t believe we can do it .. why should the players 

If we start with the best eleven every game it might help, blew three points away at Torquay and only just scraped through on Tuesday against another pile of sheet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kmssteve said:

We averaged  5000 + in our 1972/3 season finishing 3rd just above Aston villa ,  but to be fair , it was an exceptional season,  followed by a pre season watney cup game against man utd with 20000 in attendance

And how much did it cost to get in back then?

1 minute ago, olitheshayman said:

And how much did it cost to get in back then?

Put it this way, you could go and see The Shaymen in the afternoon, Halifax Dukes Speedway  in the evening and Halifax RLFC on Sunday yet still have plenty of change from a fiver.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Stockport are bigger than us and it's a big town in the arse end of nowhere

The players are paid to do a job, we pay to have an opinion

So you don’t believe in the 12th man principle 

1 minute ago, Shaytrev said:

Put it this way, you could go and see The Shaymen in the afternoon, Halifax Dukes Speedway  in the evening and Halifax RLFC on Sunday yet still have plenty of change from a fiver.

Plus three pints fish and chips and your bus fair 

CFB15388-95E1-411A-AFF0-24D9D4C3F3EC.jpeg

2 hours ago, TommyH72 said:

nigh on 50yrs ago. Things were very different back then. I remember getting locked out in an fa cup replay against Bishop Auckland and that was a Tuesday night game. Todays reality is that at around 2.5 thou we are probably at our limit including the extra overs who quickly fall away when we dont win a game. 1200 / 1300 is and always has been our real hardcore and I cant see it changing much. As someone has pointed out, we are way to close to the Man clubs, Liverpool, leeds etc. reality check.

I remember going to that Bishop Auckland replay, their shirts stick in mind to this day, quarters, and I think we beat them 7-0. I was hanging over the speedway track fence at the Bus Shed end for most of the game.

Back then there used to be a Charles Buchan football or BBC sports annual, we got them both every Christmas, and one of them had an article on Bishop Auckland as I think they had won the FA amateur cup the year before. 

• Like 1

Whilst it is fine for all of us more mature supporters to come on and pledge our allegiance, we have to face it that we are a dwindling commodity. The secret to the future success lies with the younger generations. I know from the club website that there plenty of free tickets made available for school children but how successful is the promotion of these and how many kids actually come along.

It might be my brain getting old, but I seem to recall in the distant past that there used to be once a season a "bring your Dad" game. This was where the kids got in free if they brought an adult. What we need is to enthuse and encourage the younger supporters to come along and try it, as I have said before my kids were used to going to Elland Road, but both said that if they did not have that option then they would follow Halifax, as they liked the more down to earth, less commercial, atmosphere at the Shay. 

34 minutes ago, Nick said:

Because we are so inconsistent and the season is far from over. Only barrow and Harrogate should be confident. 

Im being optimistic and dreaming of promotion but realistically do we have what it takes to get promoted. OF COURSE WE ****ING DO!!!!!! Cmon Shaymen 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nick said:

So you don’t believe in the 12th man principle 

We lost the 12th man when we lost The Skircoat . We get behind the team but much of it sails into the atmosphere

2 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

We lost the 12th man when we lost The Skircoat . We get behind the team but much of it sails into the atmosphere

Well hot air does rise.

Always felt the noise stayed in the skircoat .. great noise inside ..but quiet outside 

37 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

You were lucky.....

57 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

If we start with the best eleven every game it might help, blew three points away at Torquay and only just scraped through on Tuesday against another pile of sheet.

What would you have done differently regarding team selection on Tuesday? 

1 minute ago, Papa Lazarou said:

What would you have done differently regarding team selection on Tuesday? 

Would not have had you know who anywhere near the place. Do not come back saying he deserves to start, it's old hat.

• Like 1