Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Why is it ?

10 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Whilst it doesn't get any easier to get to The Shay, imagine getting to a chocolate box up Lindley Moor on a cold Tuesday night

is that a euphemism.;)

• Like 1

I don't think this stage of the season is renowned for teams getting record crowds. 

Could be more people coming to home games. Though we've had good all round form in the league we've not based it on Fortress Shay style dominance (on top of home defeats in the Cup and Trophy). 

There was a very good buzz forming up until the home defeat against Harrogate, the run after that took the wind out of our sails a little and our recent good run of form may have us in third place now, but only just, and it's still looking more fragile than sturdy. 

If there's a decisive game for making the play-offs, the crowd will come. Barrow at home might fetch more than a few extra fans. 

I wouldn’t knock getting 1,600 on a Tuesday night, once was a time we were getting 508 against Stalybridge on a Tuesday night, and barely registering a thousand in our Football League days on a regular basis.

The attendance thing has been done to death. As Bubba said, the only way they’ll drastically improve is if we move up a league or two, or if some Dave (I broke my leg in the cup final) Whelan-type character takes us on a spending spree.

Of course I’d like bigger crowds, but for a town of our size, with our history, in our league, they’re about right.

• Like 4

Only really the big 5 in this division would have bettered that crowd on a Tuesday night tbh

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, monk said:

Surprised some think 1600 is a poor crowd for a night game .

I distinctly remember being part of sub 900 crowds for Tuesday night thrillers against the likes of Northwich Victoria back in the Wilder days.

• Like 1

Its the true reality of being a town fan. those who still think we'll pull 3.5 / 4000 if we were to get promoted need to check the history books

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

Its the true reality of being a town fan. those who still think we'll pull 3.5 / 4000 if we were to get promoted need to check the history books

We averaged  5000 + in our 1972/3 season finishing 3rd just above Aston villa ,  but to be fair , it was an exceptional season,  followed by a pre season watney cup game against man utd with 20000 in attendance

4 minutes ago, kmssteve said:

We averaged  5000 + in our 1972/3 season finishing 3rd just above Aston villa ,  but to be fair , it was an exceptional season,  followed by a pre season watney cup game against man utd with 20000 in attendance

Those were the days....and we beat them.

Edited by ITMAN

Think you will find it was 70/71.

72/73 we just avoided relegation on goal average and crowds down to average 2500/3000 lowest crowd  was 970 on a tuesday night against Brentford.

Back if were at least mid table crowds will be about  2500/3000 home plus away. I should imagine an average of about 3000 

Edited by hunsworthhound
Spelling

43 minutes ago, monk said:

Surprised some think 1600 is a poor crowd for a night game .

Agreed. Think last time we made the play-offs in this league our average for the season was less than that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hunsworthhound said:

Think you will find it was 70/71.

72/73 we just avoided relegation on goal average and frowds down to average 2500/3000 lowest crowd  was 970 on a tuesday night against Brentford.

Back if were at least mid table crowds will be about  2500/3000 home plus away. I should imagine an average of about 3000 

Yes your probably right  , memory fades after a decade or two, remember the tuesday night match , think we won 3-2 and a town hatrick in the first half from a mac somebody, but there I go again

If we are promoted this season then next seasons average would surpass 3,000. Have you seen what teams will be in there? Bolton Wanderers for one, The Shay will be full.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kmssteve said:

Yes your probably right  , memory fades after a decade or two, remember the tuesday night match , think we won 3-2 and a town hatrick in the first half from a mac somebody, but there I go again

MacShanahan.....:D

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

Promotion and a good season and crowds won't be far off that figure.

Agree that the history books say different but i just think we are geared up to do a lot better if we went up , it's frustrating to look at league 2 and want to be a part of it , some cracking opposition if we could get there .

40 minutes ago, TommyH72 said:

The true reality is when we got promoted back to the league  we did average over 3.000  again until the rot set in 

37 minutes ago, kmssteve said:

nigh on 50yrs ago. Things were very different back then. I remember getting locked out in an fa cup replay against Bishop Auckland and that was a Tuesday night game. Todays reality is that at around 2.5 thou we are probably at our limit including the extra overs who quickly fall away when we dont win a game. 1200 / 1300 is and always has been our real hardcore and I cant see it changing much. As someone has pointed out, we are way to close to the Man clubs, Liverpool, leeds etc. reality check.

44 minutes ago, greg45 said:

I distinctly remember being part of sub 900 crowds for Tuesday night thrillers against the likes of Northwich Victoria back in the Wilder days.

Exactly , almost double that now and the opposition is no more a pull than the likes of Northwich .

Sutton , Woking and Ebsfleet don't exactly get the juices flowing .

1 minute ago, TommyH72 said:

nigh on 50yrs ago. Things were very different back then. I remember getting locked out in an fa cup replay against Bishop Auckland and that was a Tuesday night game. Todays reality is that at around 2.5 thou we are probably at our limit including the extra overs who quickly fall away when we dont win a game. 1200 / 1300 is and always has been our real hardcore and I cant see it changing much. As someone has pointed out, we are way to close to the Man clubs, Liverpool, leeds etc. reality check.

So, what do you suggest?

I suggest the board keep it more affordable like they have done this season , it's taken them long enough to realise that supporters will turn up if a good season ticket offer is there , it's the first season it's been rolled out on the back of a poor season and a manager walking out pre season , keep it affordable next season and our fan base grow regardless what league we are in .

It's not a case of not being able to attract new fans it's been more a case of out pricing alot .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Shaytrev said:

So, what do you suggest?

I dont know the answer Shaytrev. it pains me as much as the next true town fan. but I am a realist, how much better do we have to be to get a good solid regular 2.5 / 3000 into the shay. I really want us to get promoted that goes without saying. We start the season on a high but again history would suggest that it would be tough. So by Christmas there will be me and 1900 other people at the shay on Saturday home games, continued struggle would see us back down at 1300, the hardcore. I would love to be wrong, I really would but look at the game against Chorley in the playoff at the shay, 8000, Wembley we took about 8000, where are they. where are half of them now. it speaks volumes mate.