Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Why is it ?

Recommended Posts

We are third .. decent run in ... game in hand 

yet somehow we are unable to create a sense of excitement in many supporters but more especially the Town 

is it that  really deep down we don’t believe we will be successful?

that Halifax have never been successful and never will be ..therefore to many why bother 

only 1650 turned up on Tuesday .. and that included no show season ticket holders ? 
the east stand looked empty .. and yet the win took us back up into third 

we say success on the pitch will bring people through the gate .. yet it’s not really doing it .. the town should be buzzing and willing the club onto success .. yet it’s not 

somehow WE need to create a sense of belief that we can do it .. because the belief of the town is just as important as the belief of the players 

or maybe it just the bad winter weather that is the issue :) 

nick 

 

Edited by Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuesday night games are always lower. Especially when a home game follows on the Saturday.. if you were picking then the Woking game wins out. It's a bigger game on paper and it's on a Saturday afternoon.

I wasn't expecting it to be that low but you knew we were never going to break 2,000  

As for the excitement. I cant speak for anyone else but it would be typical town to mess up before the big show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s too much competition for football around us, and I think that’s a big part of it. Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield all less than an hour away, Manchester just over an hour and even Liverpool is only a couple of hours drive. It’s easy to watch the big clubs, and at a decent price too. We need a period of sustained success, and back that up with a period of great incentives and season ticket offers to get people hooked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Hxmitch said:

Think a new signing would get waivers on board

I doubt it - unless they were a real superstar. No disrespect to them, but I don't think signing a Liam Nolan, Niall Maher etc. is going to draw in a few extra hundred fans. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, greg45 said:

I doubt it - unless they were a real superstar. No disrespect to them, but I don't think signing a Liam Nolan, Niall Maher etc. is going to draw in a few extra hundred fans. 

Well let’s not a sign a player like that then :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our only unique selling points are our position and Rodney . Let's face it, it's not like watching Brazil . I don't mind watching proper football but most floating fans want entertainment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I repeat myself i know but....the people of Calderdale dont want a successful footall team, i am yet to be convinced otherwise in my 30 + years of watching us.

And please no replies of how many went to Wembley or Chorley playoff game as they were 1 offs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, greygoose said:

I repeat myself i know but....the people of Calderdale dont want a successful footall team, i am yet to be convinced otherwise in my 30 + years of watching us.

And please no replies of how many went to Wembley or Chorley playoff game as they were 1 offs.

To save Trev having to get his beer goggles out for the lads . We took 13600 to Wembley and they'll all come back when we hit The Premier League . 

You've forgotten the 6000 that couldn't get tickets for Brackley and the 10000 that were left elated at Whitby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wembley one is my favourite, the club announced we'd sold just over 10,000 days before the final. But each year the following grows and now stands st 13600 (unofficial) cant wait to tell my future grandkids how we once took 25k to Wembley!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Totally disagree with this. We are a club with not a great history of success but when there has been a 'big' game, the locals have come out - Chorley, Wembley, Bradford City, Lancaster, etc. When we returned to the FL in the late 90's we sustained decent crowds until the rot set back in. A lot of locals look out for FCHT results and want to see the club do well, even if they dont attend games. I doubt there are many who dont want to see the club do well.

I would compare us both in size and history to Rochdale. They are currently average 3,500 in League One. I think we would at least match this should we ever find ourselves in League One.

Fair assessment.At what point would you attend regularly again,out of interest.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bubba said:

Totally disagree with this. We are a club with not a great history of success but when there has been a 'big' game, the locals have come out - Chorley, Wembley, Bradford City, Lancaster, etc. When we returned to the FL in the late 90's we sustained decent crowds until the rot set back in. A lot of locals look out for FCHT results and want to see the club do well, even if they dont attend games. I doubt there are many who dont want to see the club do well.

I would compare us both in size and history to Rochdale. They are currently average 3,500 in League One. I think we would at least match this should we ever find ourselves in League One.

Sorry Bubba but every lower league club in the land gets bigger crowds for big games, its not a valid point imo. Fair play to Rochdale of course but you could question if the people of that town really want a club considering the teams they play but somehow they a have a very good one.

The local pub shuts down and people moan because they used to like going in for their annual visit over Xmas. There a bit miffed but will soon forget and find an alternate venue in future but had they used it more often it may have thrived.

What impact are those that look out for results having on the club? A bit of a conversation starter and its nice to see i suppose but the club gains nothing until the 'big game' every 3/4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question is still why when third and with decent run in why isn’t there more enthusiasm.. amongst both supporters and the town 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A conversation we have had numerous times lately. Mere blips of success do not bring people down The Shay and never will, plus the fact the self destruct button too often comes into play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eddies mate said:

Fair assessment.At what point would you attend regularly again,out of interest.

I was going to get a season ticket this season (even the wife was up for it) but missed out (my fault) on the offer by one day.

May possibly get down for a game in the final run in of this season. One day I might return regularly; maybe next season if the season ticket offer is done again.

I still have a huge passion for the club. Visit here multiple times a day; get nerves whilst watching the twitter feed of matches; delighted when we win and sulk when we lose. But I cant say that I massively miss attending matches. Potentially because priorities change in life change, but I dont know.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it is a struggle. Take for example the last offer for the Run In ticket, 6 games for £108, how many were sold? The answer is 1 and I bought it.

People like Louisa at the club must be tearing their hair out trying to find new and different ways to attract more fans to games, but as the offer at £108 was not taken up, what would be considered a fair price to watch 6 games?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bubba said:

I was going to get a season ticket this season (even the wife was up for it) but missed out (my fault) on the offer by one day.

May possibly get down for a game in the final run in of this season. One day I might return regularly; maybe next season if the season ticket offer is done again.

I still have a huge passion for the club. Visit here multiple times a day; get nerves whilst watching the twitter feed of matches; delighted when we win and sulk when we lose. But I cant say that I massively miss attending matches. Potentially because priorities change in life change, but I dont know.

There's many out there who would echo those sentiments.The challenge is to turn the obvious interest into another body through the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

it is a struggle. Take for example the last offer for the Run In ticket, 6 games for £108, how many were sold? The answer is 1 and I bought it.

People like Louisa at the club must be tearing their hair out trying to find new and different ways to attract more fans to games, but as the offer at £108 was not taken up, what would be considered a fair price to watch 6 games?

It was a good idea but it should have been 6 games for the price of five 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nick said:

It was a good idea but it should have been 6 games for the price of five 

I seem to remember that we all shot you down for suggesting this at the time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

it is a struggle. Take for example the last offer for the Run In ticket, 6 games for £108, how many were sold? The answer is 1 and I bought it.

People like Louisa at the club must be tearing their hair out trying to find new and different ways to attract more fans to games, but as the offer at £108 was not taken up, what would be considered a fair price to watch 6 games?

1 game was a Tuesday night game and another is on the TV with a 17:20 kick off.

It's not the money it's the time and the £12 means you have to attend all games.

I thought it was £75 and £90 anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bubba is right our club ia actually a mirror image of rochdale. Alot on here think fans should attend games no matter when they are. When I started watching the shaymen I could leave my house at 6.45 catch a bus to Halifax  and be at the shay by 7.20 for a 7.30 ko. After the game there was a bus from outside the ground 10 mins after full time and I  was home for 9.55. 

Today if I  didn't  have a car I  couldn't  even get there bus service ends at 6 oclock. I am sure this applies all over.

Travelling anywhere in the evening on public transport is very difficult and I'm  sure this affect crowds

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hunsworthhound said:

Bubba is right our club ia actually a mirror image of rochdale. Alot on here think fans should attend games no matter when they are. When I started watching the shaymen I could leave my house at 6.45 catch a bus to Halifax  and be at the shay by 7.20 for a 7.30 ko. After the game there was a bus from outside the ground 10 mins after full time and I  was home for 9.55. 

Today if I  didn't  have a car I  couldn't  even get there bus service ends at 6 oclock. I am sure this applies all over.

Travelling anywhere in the evening on public transport is very difficult and I'm  sure this affect crowds

Good point 

the council used to run football buses from outside of ground after the games to various parts of Calderdale 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...