Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shaymen Stats

Neil Aspin

Recommended Posts

Alway felt he had a plan A, B, & C. Rank Aspin as one of best Town manager's, lost the plot at the back end of his tenure. Surprised he is not back in management, suspect it is by choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah he’s up there.

He didn’t lose the plot, just lost a lot of very good players to better clubs higher up the pyramid. Victim of his own success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sadly he was let down by his big signings that season. James and Bencheriff in particular. Remember the crowd booing when the latter came on as sub once.

Things got dramatically worse when Aspin left and some Irish half wit took over. I will never forgive those players for that season. Two examples 1. In a home game we had a corner and it was cleared they counter attacked and the ref actually ran past our so called midfield he actually looked back at them as he ran past. 2. Away to Kidderminster and James complete inept performance summed up when he turned his back on a cross for fear of it hitting him.

Yes I know they got to Wembley, but they saw that as a treat and had no regrets regarding our relegation, just needed to get away somewhere else and use the final as their advert.

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Sadly he was let down by his big signings that season. James and Bencheriff in particular. Remember the crowd booing when the latter came on as sub once.

Things got dramatically worse when Aspin left and some Irish half wit took over. I will never forgive those players for that season. Two examples 1. In a home game we had a corner and it was cleared they counter attacked and the ref actually ran past our so called midfield he actually looked back at them as he ran past. 2. Away to Kidderminster and James complete inept performance summed up when he turned his back on a cross for fear of it hitting him.

Yes I know they got to Wembley, but they saw that as a treat and had no regrets regarding our relegation, just needed to get away somewhere else and use the final as their advert.

Jim Harvey did a great job and was very unlucky. Took over a sunken ship and nearly kept it up, a post width away from doing so in a short space of time.  Harvey definitely shouldn't receive criticism from that season

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Jim Harvey did a great job and was very unlucky. Took over a sunken ship and nearly kept it up, a post width away from doing so in a short space of time.  Harvey definitely shouldn't receive criticism from that season

Except for refusing to sign any players when given the means to do so...allegedly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, halifaxmark said:

Jim Harvey did a great job and was very unlucky. Took over a sunken ship and nearly kept it up, a post width away from doing so in a short space of time.  Harvey definitely shouldn't receive criticism from that season

Didnt sign any players when given the opportunity when the team had got out of the bottom 4, so in my opinion he must shoulder some of the blame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing what went on behind the scene at the time he deserves a hell of a lot of the blame and if you listen to our ex keeper Glennon Harvey deserves 100% of the blame.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Knowing what went on behind the scene at the time he deserves a hell of a lot of the blame and if you listen to our ex keeper Glennon Harvey deserves 100% of the blame.

Glennon overall was a fairly solid keeper for us, but that season he was abysmal, maybe didn’t like hearing the criticism?

Edited by wrighty130
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wrighty130 said:

Glennon overall was a fairly solid keeper for us, but that season he was abysmal, maybe didn’t like hearing the criticism?

Nothing to do with that wrighty, I was probably Glennon biggest critic in his last 2 seasons ask Wilderbollox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

Nothing to do with that wrighty, I was probably Glennon biggest critic in his last 2 seasons ask Wilderbollox.

Ben Hinchcliffe is still going strong at Stockport, rejected by Aspin in favour of Dave Carnell who then decided not to come to us after all leaving us to turn to Glennon . Did a decent job for us but his body was getting older every game he played 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wilder Bollox said:

Ben Hinchcliffe is still going strong at Stockport, rejected by Aspin in favour of Dave Carnell who then decided not to come to us after all leaving us to turn to Glennon . Did a decent job for us but his body was getting older every game he played 

Being rounded by John Stead and Giuseppe Sole’s free kick marked the end for Glennon. Was outstanding the first two seasons but should have retired/moved on after that season, for me. Became a liability as you say through age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Ben Hinchcliffe is still going strong at Stockport, rejected by Aspin in favour of Dave Carnell who then decided not to come to us after all leaving us to turn to Glennon . Did a decent job for us but his body was getting older every game he played 

First two seasons did an outstanding job.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, ewalsh said:

Being rounded by John Stead and Giuseppe Sole’s free kick marked the end for Glennon. Was outstanding the first two seasons but should have retired/moved on after that season, for me. Became a liability as you say through age. 

My memory was a game against Torquay at home, he stood and watched a mis hit cross from a full back float into the far post, it was in the air that long he could of walked to the post and simply caught it, if he had bothered to move. 
 

Someone told him to F*cking retire as he eventually picked the ball out the net and he bit back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wrighty130 said:

My memory was a game against Torquay at home, he stood and watched a mis hit cross from a full back float into the far post, it was in the air that long he could of walked to the post and simply caught it, if he had bothered to move. 
 

Someone told him to F*cking retire as he eventually picked the ball out the net and he bit back. 

Can think of a few similar. Lincoln got one like that in front of the South Stand, too. Seemed to always have his feet planted on the line and be very reluctant to move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Alway felt he had a plan A, B, & C. Rank Aspin as one of best Town manager's, lost the plot at the back end of his tenure. Surprised he is not back in management, suspect it is by choice.

Plan A,B,C but lost the plot......

Shows plan B & C didn't exist 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ash said:

Yeah he’s up there.

He didn’t lose the plot, just lost a lot of very good players to better clubs higher up the pyramid. Victim of his own success.

Playing Danny Hattersley as a winger 2 home games running and having to sub him at half time in both games would indicate signs of losing the plot. Once can be dismissed as a mistake but to do it again.... well, that’s when you have to start asking questions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, neilstewart said:

Playing Danny Hattersley as a winger 2 home games running and having to sub him at half time in both games would indicate signs of losing the plot. Once can be dismissed as a mistake but to do it again.... well, that’s when you have to start asking questions.

Last minute of the game against macclesfield, Roberts header hits the post fired back across the box, 5 yards out Hattersley puts his foot out and hits it over, so close to being the hero 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Alway felt he had a plan A, B, & C. Rank Aspin as one of best Town manager's, lost the plot at the back end of his tenure. Surprised he is not back in management, suspect it is by choice.

I was only talking about NA tonight with Lee Nogan. Neither of them currently interested in getting back into any form of management

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, YD175 said:

I was only talking about NA tonight with Lee Nogan. Neither of them currently interested in getting back into any form of management

Until someone knocks on the door.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wrighty130 said:

My memory was a game against Torquay at home, he stood and watched a mis hit cross from a full back float into the far post, it was in the air that long he could of walked to the post and simply caught it, if he had bothered to move. 
 

Someone told him to F*cking retire as he eventually picked the ball out the net and he bit back. 

My memory of him also. It was all in slow motion as the ball went through the air.  It wasn't me who said retire btw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't change that season for the world.  That's just football and some things are meant to be, some are not. I'm sure I'll experience similar in the next 40 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

I wouldn't change that season for the world.  That's just football and some things are meant to be, some are not. I'm sure I'll experience similar in the next 40 years. 

I won´t that´s for sure!:blink: that would make me 113 years old.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...