Nick

Today’s Game ...Sutton U

Sutton have always been a bunch of Shithouses, blocked By their twitter for pointing it out a few seasons ago. 

Maher knew what the Sutton players were going to do as soon as the penalty was awarded he just stood on the penalty spot and the Sutton players saw that as a chance to once again show their sportsmanship. 

13 minutes ago, wrighty130 said:

Sutton have always been a bunch of Shithouses, blocked By their twitter for pointing it out a few seasons ago. 

Maher knew what the Sutton players were going to do as soon as the penalty was awarded he just stood on the penalty spot and the Sutton players saw that as a chance to once again show their sportsmanship. 

I noticed that too. Very clever from Maher. Typical that the ref didn't see several Sutton players trying to push him off it to dig the penalty spot up.

16 hours ago, Amber SUFC said:

I thought it was your player who took nearly a minute doing his shoelaces up in the first half. You have to face it you found it tough beating a side devoid of their first choice midfield. On last nights performance you have little chance of gaining promotion this season.

People like u really wind me up coming on here spouting crap like that it makes me so angry..I'm not going to swear on here..infact yes I am....Burnley.. 

1 hour ago, Sparrow said:

People like u really wind me up coming on here spouting crap like that it makes me so angry..I'm not going to swear on here..infact yes I am....Burnley.. 

Get really aggressive Sparrow HUDDERSFIELD.:doh:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I noticed that too. Very clever from Maher. Typical that the ref didn't see several Sutton players trying to push him off it to dig the penalty spot up.

And that's why Jeff King got involved because as soon as the scuffle happened the ref took interest. Dont condone Kings behaviour, but if the ref had taken control as soon as the penalty was given nothing would have happened 

Edited by Papa Lazarou
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Amber SUFC said:

I thought it was your player who took nearly a minute doing his shoelaces up in the first half. You have to face it you found it tough beating a side devoid of their first choice midfield. On last nights performance you have little chance of gaining promotion this season.

Just wondered what your advice is on our other thread on our game against woking this Saturday as you seem clued up...it shows the form table from last six games...cant seem to see sutton on it think they have fallen off?

It was a good result yes, but lets be honest not a great performance, I certainly don't agree with Wild that we created lots of chances, who did they fall to? I couldn't see us scoring until we were gifted a penalty by poor defending.

Its amazing what a goal can do but for me we'll have to be better than that if were serious about making the play offs and certainly the top 3.

Edited by greygoose
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, greygoose said:

It was a good result yes, but lets be honest not a great performance, I certainly don't agree with Wild that we created lots of chances, who did they fall to? I couldn't see us scoring until we were gifted a penalty by poor defending.

Its amazing what a goal can do but for me we'll have to be better than that if were serious about making the play offs and certainly the top 3.

More of a job done type of a result like many others this season but if it ain't broke..........

All games now, specifically until pitches improve, are a case of get the result over anything else.

1 hour ago, Ash said:

All games now, specifically until pitches improve, are a case of get the result over anything else.

Obviously :lol:

15 hours ago, ITMAN said:

There must be clear video evidence of the Sutton players trying to destroy the penalty area, so can this be submitted to the League so that the club might be given some sort of warning or fine for not controlling their players?

You’ve got to be joking surely. The linesman on the far side was stood on the bye line watching it happen. What more should be needed?

The general standard of refereeing is appalling, they are an active part of the cheating.

From the utterly unnecessary fourth official to the man in the middle, four people to referee a football game. I am sure you will have refereed most park games by yourself, and done as well as the four of them managed on Tuesday. How they could look each other in the eye afterwards is beyond me. A complete shambles.

• Thanks 1

Just watched the highlights, first the offside - difficult to tell with the angles but probably just off. However, I have no idea how the ref could give it because you can see he wasn’t looking at the offside player at all in the build up or when the ball was played. How can he make that call with complete certainty? TSS finished it well and on another day would have got the goal.
The ‘penalty’ in the first half was a clear foul, so blatant. Don’t know how he didn’t give that.
Sutton can’t argue with the one that was given and scored at the end either, clear dangerous play. They looked poor throughout and got what they deserved.

2 minutes ago, riccardo259 said:

Just watched the highlights, first the offside - difficult to tell with the angles but probably just off. However, I have no idea how the ref could give it because you can see he wasn’t looking at the offside player at all in the build up or when the ball was played. How can he make that call with complete certainty? TSS finished it well and on another day would have got the goal.
The ‘penalty’ in the first half was a clear foul, so blatant. Don’t know how he didn’t give that.
Sutton can’t argue with the one that was given and scored at the end either, clear dangerous play. They looked poor throughout and got what they deserved.

Haven't watched the offside goal but from what I've read the ref is saying that the shot from TSS took a slight deflection off a player that was offside . The ref told King that he ran into their player who didn't make any unnatural movement and wasn't required to move out of his way

7 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Haven't watched the offside goal but from what I've read the ref is saying that the shot from TSS took a slight deflection off a player that was offside . The ref told King that he ran into their player who didn't make any unnatural movement and wasn't required to move out of his way

It happened quite quickly but I thought he took Kings legs as he ran into the box not body checked him.

From the replay Williams is clearly offside when the ball is played to him before he cut it back to Sho. 

On 3/4/2020 at 11:24 PM, Flea said:

Wow, so bad I thought I was reading Tom Scargils match report. 

So the writer was the ‘having it large’ bloke....Christ what a flunter. 

Massive generalisation as sure some are lovely people but they just seem like a thoroughly unpleasant club. 

There fans were unpleasant too. Not in a Millwall type of way, but just being abusive and devoid of any sense of ironic humour or self deprecation (which is normal at this level). 

2 hours ago, Shaytrev said:

From the replay Williams is clearly offside when the ball is played to him before he cut it back to Sho. 

I agree but the linesman didn't flag, and the referee (who was not watching the line of course) chose to make a snap decision without even consulting his linesman. It showed that he had no confidence in the linesman, and he just undermined him in that situation. 

Where do they get these guys from? They are either blind or totally don't understand the game.

The worse type of referee is the one that people hate even when you've had a satisfying win. He's one of those types. 

1 hour ago, shaymen_x said:

I agree but the linesman didn't flag, and the referee (who was not watching the line of course) chose to make a snap decision without even consulting his linesman. It showed that he had no confidence in the linesman, and he just undermined him in that situation. 

Where do they get these guys from? They are either blind or totally don't understand the game.

The worse type of referee is the one that people hate even when you've had a satisfying win. He's one of those types. 

What it exposed was the fact that the referee and his assistants were not working as a cohesive unit.

• I have already explained that the referee is perfectly entitled to award a free kick for of- side if for some reason he has a clear view and it's a no brainer, see's something that it is impossible for the assistant from 30 yards away to see (i.e. the shot from an onside player touches a player in an offside position), or in the worst case the assistant has fallen on his backside 15 yards behind play and the referee has to "take over".
  • In all cases the assistant should on the referee blowing his whistle have raised his flag to indicate to the spectators that a free kick had been awarded (this is another of his primary duties and why he is given a flag in the first place). He can then on getting a signal from the referee indicate in which direction the free kick has been awarded, unless of course it is a clear cut decision in which case he can indicate immediately.
  • By raising his flag the assistant creates an avenue for the referee to "manage" the game. As a referee you watch and read players body language. If you give a free kick for offside and the  attackers just get up and run back without any chelping you generally have it right. If you are not sure you wait until play develops as it maybe that the defenders lump it away into row Z in which case let the game flow, unless there is an actual offside in which case the assistant will have raised his flag,.iI a goal is scored you can allow it, then run across to your assistant, who if it was offside should have his flag up, or in this case still has his flag up but we know not what for.
  • The referee can then hold a discussion with the assistant to discuss, was there any reason to disallow the goal? If it was offside then cut and dried, if not then was there any other reason to disallow it. What this allows is for the 2 different views of the angles to be compared and a decision to be made. Worst case the referee can disallow the goal and indicate that the assistant flagged for offside (blame him), disallow the goal for another infringement seen by the assistant or referee immediately prior to the goal (push/hold etc) and no advantage came from it. 
  • Whichever way you use these techniques (game management/kidology) a referee and his assistants can effectively create their own VAR situation to buy time to get a decision that is either correct or which can be "sold" to the players and the spectators.

In this case the referee did neither and consequently directed all of the attention upon himself, which led to the players and spectators being on his back from that point forward. One thing that was drilled into us as referees when being trained was that it was better to have a dodgy offside call than a dodgy goal. Most people forget the dodgy offside but the dodgy goal can be a game breaker. Maybe that was what he was thinking.....

• Like 1

I very much doubt that the referee and assistants were miked up at this level. Typically, you would expect the assistants to have buzzers on the flags to get the referees's attention. This also allows the assistant to get his attention without having to wave his flag and draw attention to himself from the players and spectators.  

All of this should be covered off by the referee when he gives his pre-match instructions to his assistants and 4th Official. There are clear guidelines as to what is expected of each part of the "team" and what the contingency plans are should any of them get into difficulties. Each referee has his/her own preferences as do the assistants. One of mine was that I would hold my flag at the side in which I was going to go with the decision for a throw-in, the referee would give me a similar hand signal and eye contact, if they matched the flag  went straight up. If we differed then if it was in my zone of the pitch, ie. the 25 yards in from the goal line then the ref would go with me, for the rest of the pitch, on my side of the field we would go with the ref's call. This way we both showed the same signals and it looked like we knew what we were doing.

7 hours ago, ITMAN said:

I very much doubt that the referee and assistants were miked up at this level. Typically, you would expect the assistants to have buzzers on the flags to get the referees's attention. This also allows the assistant to get his attention without having to wave his flag and draw attention to himself from the players and spectators.  

All of this should be covered off by the referee when he gives his pre-match instructions to his assistants and 4th Official. There are clear guidelines as to what is expected of each part of the "team" and what the contingency plans are should any of them get into difficulties. Each referee has his/her own preferences as do the assistants. One of mine was that I would hold my flag at the side in which I was going to go with the decision for a throw-in, the referee would give me a similar hand signal and eye contact, if they matched the flag  went straight up. If we differed then if it was in my zone of the pitch, ie. the 25 yards in from the goal line then the ref would go with me, for the rest of the pitch, on my side of the field we would go with the ref's call. This way we both showed the same signals and it looked like we knew what we were doing.

Officials use comms gear at our level.

• Like 1

All. Just be careful.... Youre in danger of talking up the officials and sounding like they were organised. I propose a shay ban for the idiot in the middle. Wild was literally at explosion point, gammonometer at 101%!!!