Today’s Game ...Sutton U

3 hours ago, Amber SUFC said:

I thought it was your player who took nearly a minute doing his shoelaces up in the first half. You have to face it you found it tough beating a side devoid of their first choice midfield. On last nights performance you have little chance of gaining promotion this season.

Take them lemons out of your mouth you bitter little boy. Your lot came for a 0-0, had no attacking intent and went home empty handed. Our defence had an easy night. Off you pop now, no need to worry about us and this forum 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh dear!!! I thought the experts on here said “if Wild starts with Sho-Silva, we would lose”

Redshaw needs to up his game in my opinion. He seems to have gone quiet in games, last night he seemed to be on the periphery for most of his time on the pitch. Not doubting the lads quality and I am

Don’t pay much attention to others  we just have to keep winning our games 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Take them lemons out of your mouth you bitter little boy. Your lot came for a 0-0, had no attacking intent and went home empty handed. Our defence had an easy night. Off you pop now, no need to worry about us and this forum 

and take those boys in black back home as well

15 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

That’s probably the easiest clean sheet we’ve had all season. Can only think of one shot straight at Johnson in second half

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, AJS said:

That’s probably the easiest clean sheet we’ve had all season. Can only think of one shot straight at Johnson in second half

TSS looked more of a threat in the first half than Suttons forwards did all match barring Reid.

That left winger for Sutton didn't want to know. We got at him early and he knew he didn't have the beating of our men so tried the con job all game.  

Then when the was handbags before the penalty one of their black players, not sure what number was cheating and delaying. So sneakily pushing and squaring up whilst the inept referee had his back turned to the real action. When he finally turned round the Sutton lad walked off. 

Horrible players who belong in the southern leagues. No skill to their play or intention. 

I've said many of times I don't mind when we get away with things but atleast we aren't totally anti football and we try play the game. We give it a go. 

7 minutes ago, Amber SUFC said:

Poor report. Mentions we should have had 2 red cards.  Doesnt mention our "goal" ruled out by the referee for offside and not the linesman. Least there were no complaints about the penalty we did get even though there was a stonewall one turned down first half.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Amber SUFC said:

I thought it was your player who took nearly a minute doing his shoelaces up in the first half. You have to face it you found it tough beating a side devoid of their first choice midfield. On last nights performance you have little chance of gaining promotion this season.

We did find it tough beating you correct. We struggled against a team determined to not even try and play football. I mean players digging the penalty spot up is appropriate behaviour I presume for your club??

Edited by FCHT1993
33 minutes ago, Amber SUFC said:

Completely biased assessment. 

Wheres the bit about the ref dissalowing a goal for offside instead of a linesman. 

Or king being hacked to the ground and not being given a penalty. 

Or 6 of Suttons players hacking a penalty spot to pieces? 

That guy is the one who must have been watching a different game. I can agree the ref was incompetent but you lot came out on the right side of most of it 

6 minutes ago, FCHT1993 said:

We did find it tough beating you correct. We struggled against a team determined to not even try and play football. I mean players digging the penalty spot up is appropriate behaviour I presume for your club??

I have never seen such behaviour before as when the Sutton players deliberately, and without any intervention from the referee or assistants, began to try to rough up the pitch around the penalty spot. In refereeing in local leagues players never resorted to such cheap antics and I am really shocked that the only team to get any cards given during the incident were Town players. The referee dealt with the whole situation poorly.

Law 1 - The Field of Play

A player who makes unauthorised marks on the field of play must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. If the referee notices this being done during the match, the player is cautioned when the ball next goes out of play.

2 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

I have never seen such behaviour before as when the Sutton players deliberately, and without any intervention from the referee or assistants, began to try to rough up the pitch around the penalty spot.

Its shithousery at its finest - but then that seemed to fit Sutton's "style" last night. Solihull did it to us at The Shay a few years ago. Think it was Shaq McDonald that had the pen (which he subsequently missed) 

1 minute ago, ITMAN said:

I have never seen such behaviour before as when the Sutton players deliberately, and without any intervention from the referee or assistants, began to try to rough up the pitch around the penalty spot. In refereeing in local leagues players never resorted to such cheap antics and I am really shocked that the only team to get any cards given during the incident were Town players. The referee dealt with the whole situation poorly.

Law 1 - The Field of Play

A player who makes unauthorised marks on the field of play must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour. If the referee notices this being done during the match, the player is cautioned when the ball next goes out of play.

Referees dont have the balls to do anything these days. Everything just comes under the same umbrella of gamesmanship. And because they get away with so much players push there luck more and more to see what they can get away with. Under the assumption that if 5 of us do it he isn't going to book all of us. 

They just let gamesmanship go completely. 

10 years ago you wouldn't see anything like what they do these days. Digging up penalty spots. Players actively standing in front of a free kick taker until his team are set sometimes for upto 10 seconds without intervention . And even then it's just a "stop it" sort of situation.. some ref needs to take a stand sod it if it causes headlines. This game is getting more and more blatant when it comes to cheating and annoyingly it's now at our level. 

"Players actively standing in front of a free kick taker until his team are set sometimes for upto 10 seconds without intervention . And even then it's just a "stop it" sort of situation.. some ref needs to take a stand sod it if it causes headlines"

The simplest way to stop it is to caution the first one to try it on. This sends a signal to all players that enough is enough. From then on in the referee just has to have the bottle to follow it through. Any players who whinges if given a card cannot argue that you are being too harsh as you have given them a clear signal of your tolerance level to cheating and unsportsmanlike conduct. 

What I always liked about a caution was that a player could not appeal against one. So if possible, I would prefer to send a player of for 2 yellow cards rather than a straight red, it was usually for a foul in the first place followed up by second card for dissent, and avoid possibly getting embroiled in having to go go to the County FA to justify why I had dealt with a player in the way I had. 

There must be clear video evidence of the Sutton players trying to destroy the penalty area, so can this be submitted to the League so that the club might be given some sort of warning or fine for not controlling their players?

9 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

"Players actively standing in front of a free kick taker until his team are set sometimes for upto 10 seconds without intervention . And even then it's just a "stop it" sort of situation.. some ref needs to take a stand sod it if it causes headlines"

The simplest way to stop it is to caution the first one to try it on. This sends a signal to all players that enough is enough. From then on in the referee just has to have the bottle to follow it through. Any players who whinges if given a card cannot argue that you are being too harsh as you have given them a clear signal of your tolerance level to cheating and unsportsmanlike conduct. 

What I always liked about a caution was that a player could not appeal against one. So if possible, I would prefer to send a player of for 2 yellow cards rather than a straight red, it was usually for a foul in the first place followed up by second card for dissent, and avoid possibly getting embroiled in having to go go to the County FA to justify why I had dealt with a player in the way I had. 

There must be clear video evidence of the Sutton players trying to destroy the penalty area, so can this be submitted to the League so that the club might be given some sort of warning or fine for not controlling their players?

Theres about 4 different people that I have seen on Facebook that filmed the incident as I have seen the videos published. However it's not for me to decide to forward it on, nor do I think anything will be done about it. 

The players are in charge on the pitch that's just the long and short of it. The refs just there puppet. Something needs to be done though, because the question needs to be asked 

How far will players go with gamesmanship there will be things not already happening that they will think of to do. 

One that springs to mind at this moment that happens but not as much as it could do. 

Players know a game gets stopped if there is a head injury, oh no theres a dangerous attack happening let's just go down holding my face. That's sorted that attack out, 

There will be loads of situations that players can exploit that will be thought of over time. 

Unless something is put in place to stop it it will only get worse. 

I'm not a big fan of the sport anymore but rugby leagues got it right. You never see gamesmanship in that sport. Every single player listens to the ref and if they back chat it's a penalty against there side or they'll go sit on the sidelines for 10 mins, the refs in charge end of discussion in that sport. 

Better late than never, but I was interested to see first of all if the rest of your opinions coincided with my view of the game last night from my seat in the East Stand.

• Goal in the first 5 mins was correctly disallowed, however the cock up between the referee and the assistant did not set a very good tone for the rest of the game
  • After 20 mins I told my son who was with me that Sutton had come for a draw
  • First half we showed some promise going forward but it was obvious that Redshaw was not getting involved and having little impact on the game, probably because he was playing in a different role to his normal game.
  • TSS did start and had some good touches, shame the goal was disallowed as it would have been a massive boost to his confidence
  • 2nd half we were off the boil for the first 15-20 mins, most noticeable feature was that Dave was getting frustrated by the lack of service so he started to come back deeper into midfield looking for something t get involved in. This led to an upping of the tempo throughout the team who followed his example.
  • The substitution of TSS with Allen, was the game changer. We then had pace and an attacking threat, with Dave responding to this and getting himself into some good positions to try to set up crosses into the box. For me the level of effort from TSS dropped in the second half, whereas he was closing down defenders and chasing balls into the corner in the first half, in the 2nd half he appeared to give up on some lost causes giving the Sutton defenders and keeper more time on the ball than they should have had.
  • With Allen on this gave the midfield more options to release the ball early pushing the Sutton defenders back deeper, which in turn allowed our defenders to push up and with good pressing work  we were able to force Sutton into a lot of errors.
  • The final nail in the coffin for Sutton was when Cam King came on to be able to take advantage of the space and time he had in midfield to thread passes either into the channels for Dave and Allen to run onto or to spread play wide so that dangerous crosses could be delivered. Up to this point Redshaw had been largely ineffectual again, highlighted by one jinking run when he easily beat 2 defenders and then gave the ball away when he had a very simple option out wide that would probably have lead to a cross into the box. Not his best game but we know he has it in him to be a more influential player.
  • The defensive unit played really well and Sutton rarely created a threat, it was nice for once not be nervous every time the opposition went forward in our half. Last 20 mins was a good tight defensive spell with the midfield tracking back to support the wing backs, breaking up numerous Sutton attacks before they were allowed to develop.
  • The penalty was a penalty, if any contact is made then it is a direct free kick, accidental or not.
  • All in all a game of 3 periods, first half good with no product,  first 20 of the second half we lost the plot somewhat, not helped by Sutton's style of play, last 30 mins (inc. stoppages) much better display with a well deserved 3 points that had to be ground out. But winning ugly is the sign of a good team.
  • I think the evidence is clear as to what the best strike partnership is at present and PW just needs to work out who the 3rd player should be in that attacking formation

I am glad to say that they came out and put in a performance and, as could have happened, they did not roll over and give in. 

Roll on Saturday and let's see if we can do the same to Woking.   

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 1
56 minutes ago, Flea said:

Its shithousery at its finest - but then that seemed to fit Sutton's "style" last night. Solihull did it to us at The Shay a few years ago. Think it was Shaq McDonald that had the pen (which he subsequently missed) 

Sat Nav that missed the pen on that occasion . I always think the player taking the pen should just take himself away from the mayhem, Rodney did well to hold his nerve

9 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Sat Nav that missed the pen on that occasion . I always think the player taking the pen should just take himself away from the mayhem, Rodney did well to hold his nerve

JSJ hit the penalty so far wide I think it went outside the width of the 6 yard box. By the time he finally ran up to take it there must have been a 99% chance of him missing, don't think anyone was surprised.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Roy Race said:

Oh what an amusing piece of "journalism" really sad to poke fun at peoples houses being ruined by flood. WTF have Spangles or brown sauce got to do with football, surprised whippets & homing pigeons weren't  thrown in there.

Not surprisingly earning rave reviews on positively shaymen