Jump to content
ITMAN

New Immigration Policy

Recommended Posts

If being able to speak English is a classed as one of the 3 essential requirements to get a visa to come to work in the UK from next year, how will this affect footballers in the higher division who possibly meet the salary target but do not speak english? Not that I expect a sudden flood of overseas players at the Shay in the next few seasons, or will they be covered under the seasonal workers allowance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought you needed a PhD for that:D

But as speaking english is a mandatory requirement, should this not still  be the case, skilled or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely come under skilled workers. What would be good is if the government bring in some form of high earner tax for footballers from anywhere, and stop them having their wages sent abroad so they avoid our tax system.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we are finally out of the EU, the UK could introduce limits for overseas players again (eg maximum 5 in matchday squad). This was banned under EU rules allowing freedom to work and live anywhere in the EU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, andrich said:

When we are finally out of the EU, the UK could introduce limits for overseas players again (eg maximum 5 in matchday squad). This was banned under EU rules allowing freedom to work and live anywhere in the EU.

SKY will never allow it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, percy shaw said:

Skilled workers

Don't make me laugh when the NHS is on it's knees. 

There are many people who arrive here from abroad that come to work for the NHS. Without them it would well and truly be on its knees.

The NHS needs to be managed better. Some areas are fully resources and perhaps you could go as far as over resourced whereas others are crying out for support.

I use different services regularly so I talk from first hand experience.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Erik Everhard said:

There are many people who arrive here from abroad that come to work for the NHS. Without them it would well and truly be on its knees.

The NHS needs to be managed better. Some areas are fully resources and perhaps you could go as far as over resourced whereas others are crying out for support.

I use different services regularly so I talk from first hand experience.

Erik, I think what Percy was meaning was that we are potentially disallowing skilled workers needed by the NHS, whereas the skills being brought to this country by overpaid footballers, who seemingly have no amount of schemes to transfer their income elsewhere,, are more valued by this government.

Now I have gone political and probably broken every unwritten rule of posting on a football forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Erik, I think what Percy was meaning was that we are potentially disallowing skilled workers needed by the NHS, whereas the skills being brought to this country by overpaid footballers, who seemingly have no amount of schemes to transfer their income elsewhere,, are more valued by this government.

Now I have gone political and probably broken every unwritten rule of posting on a football forum. 

When did this become a football forum (has anybody warned Lumb, Bubba and Hoddie about this)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeh some areas are well resourced. 

Mainly the cushey office types waiting for their huge "old style pension" to mature.

Yeh **** off. 

I, and a fellow Shayman(who is active on here) work on the front line, on the shop floor on a mental health ward.

the amount of staff cuts is alarming and worrying. 

Last Tuesday there was no metal health beds available, NHS\private in the country. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Erik, I think what Percy was meaning was that we are potentially disallowing skilled workers needed by the NHS, whereas the skills being brought to this country by overpaid footballers, who seemingly have no amount of schemes to transfer their income elsewhere,, are more valued by this government.

Now I have gone political and probably broken every unwritten rule of posting on a football forum. 

They are entertainers and that skill seems to override most countries rules on immigration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, percy shaw said:

Yeh some areas are well resourced. 

Mainly the cushey office types waiting for their huge "old style pension" to mature.

Yeh **** off. 

I, and a fellow Shayman(who is active on here) work on the front line, on the shop floor on a mental health ward.

the amount of staff cuts is alarming and worrying. 

Last Tuesday there was no metal health beds available, NHS\private in the country. 

Mental health care is one of the areas that needs more funding.i suppose you could argue that every area needs more funding but some areas in some places are adequately funded. It's then a better of taking some resources from one part and putting in another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ITMAN said:

If being able to speak English is a classed as one of the 3 essential requirements to get a visa to come to work in the UK from next year, how will this affect footballers in the higher division who possibly meet the salary target but do not speak english? Not that I expect a sudden flood of overseas players at the Shay in the next few seasons, or will they be covered under the seasonal workers allowance?

The UK construction industry will come to a juddering halt if being able to manage more than "you speak supervisor" is going to be a requirement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, noelm1979 said:

The UK construction industry will come to a juddering halt if being able to manage more than "you speak supervisor" is going to be a requirement.

Aye, we rely on overseas labour far more than BJ realises. There aren't enough people in the inactive minority to cover the difference. But, at the same time, there are too many unskilled people coming from abroad. 

Something inbetween is needed. This new Torie plan isn't fit for purpose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Definitely come under skilled workers. What would be good is if the government bring in some form of high earner tax for footballers from anywhere, and stop them having their wages sent abroad so they avoid our tax system.

 

Not sure that is legal you pay your tax based on residency 

to play foot ball in England you have to be resident 

however many footballers sign contract base on earnings net of tax .. the club pays the tax . So if tax rate changes the club pay the difference 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, noelm1979 said:

The UK construction industry will come to a juddering halt if being able to manage more than "you speak supervisor" is going to be a requirement.

Ha ha, yeh! When I worked in france we just smiled and nodded!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridiculous laws that are set up to fail by creating job shortages in crucial areas from construction, agriculture and catering to care and the NHS.

Discounting the value of people's work in favour of pay grades is insulting, as if the "unskilled" work here is getting up on a morning like this and digging a hole in the ground, laying a pavement, washing a load of people who can't do  it themselves, tidying up a whole building, spending your weekends serving a load of volatile drunks. Not the sort of stuff I'd go back to doing, even on the £25.6k threshold.

Part of why we're here now is taking workers for granted like that, no matter where they were born or what they look like. This is another stage in belittling the hard, underpaid work that we all depend on.

The pool of footballers will be reduced too, and would probably be more noticeable at our level. My impression is of a lot of foreign-born footballers coming for work and mostly orbiting around southeastern clubs. Cut that source of skills out of the game and we'll see a marginal drop in the quality of football, but it's all by-the-by when the much-ignored time bomb's already going off over health and social care.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Ridiculous laws that are set up to fail by creating job shortages in crucial areas from construction, agriculture and catering to care and the NHS.

Discounting the value of people's work in favour of pay grades is insulting, as if the "unskilled" work here is getting up on a morning like this and digging a hole in the ground, laying a pavement, washing a load of people who can't do  it themselves, tidying up a whole building, spending your weekends serving a load of volatile drunks. Not the sort of stuff I'd go back to doing, even on the £25.6k threshold.

Part of why we're here now is taking workers for granted like that, no matter where they were born or what they look like. This is another stage in belittling the hard, underpaid work that we all depend on.

The pool of footballers will be reduced too, and would probably be more noticeable at our level. My impression is of a lot of foreign-born footballers coming for work and mostly orbiting around southeastern clubs. Cut that source of skills out of the game and we'll see a marginal drop in the quality of football, but it's all by-the-by when the much-ignored time bomb's already going off over health and social care.

Never mind! Blue passports! Fish.

Oh and unicorns!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Never mind! Blue passports! Fish.

Oh and unicorns!

I'm not arsed who voted for which side, and in fact it's galling to see better-off Remainists gloat over Leave voters apparently being the ones who'll suffer the most. The ones who create the narratives here, sure, they can all go abroad. The nostalgia behind continuity Leave is messed, ignoring an extremely important future in order to fetishise imperial measurements or boys in short trousers.

Feels like Leaveists and Remainists (as opposed to those who merely voted Leave or Remain and aren't so polarised or pushing the culture wars) are trying to outdo each other in who can best serve their masters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

I'm not arsed who voted for which side, and in fact it's galling to see better-off Remainists gloat over Leave voters apparently being the ones who'll suffer the most. The ones who create the narratives here, sure, they can all go abroad. The nostalgia behind continuity Leave is messed, ignoring an extremely important future in order to fetishise imperial measurements or boys in short trousers.

Feels like Leaveists and Remainists (as opposed to those who merely voted Leave or Remain and aren't so polarised or pushing the culture wars) are trying to outdo each other in who can best serve their masters.

Ha ha! Probably!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, noelm1979 said:

The UK construction industry will come to a juddering halt if being able to manage more than "you speak supervisor" is going to be a requirement.

I have just had a short trip to Copenhagen and once again I marvel at the ease with which foreign nationals speak our language, I could not even say "you speak supervisor" in Danish. So I guess for the short time I have left to work I am stuck here in Blighty. Unless of course the Yorkshire dialect is not considered english enough to qualify....

In response to Pliny's accurate disassembling of the matter, although I have not yet seen it I am told that the Oscar winning film "Parasite" gives a true and accurate picture of what could happen if we ignore the underpaid hard working people who carry out the "unskilled" meaningless and largely unthanked tasks on a daily basis. 

Edited by ITMAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The irony of this proposed law by Priti Patel is that under this law her parents who are of Ugandan origin would not have been allowed into this country under her proposed legislation 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...