Papa Lazarou

Torquay on Saturday

4 hours ago, greygoose said:

As we know though its not really about the size of the clubs ground/fanbase, its the size of the bank balance thats the problem.

That said i don't believe Barrow will be chucking big wages around, looking at their squad it looks like its very well managed. Harrogate, as we know do spend but i suppose you also have to credit their manager to date as they also made playoffs last season.

The fact were above Notts County, Stockport, Chesterfield, Wrexham ect shows Wild must be doing something right despite some of the nonsense on here.

Barrow’s squad aren’t even based in the county and it must be tough to recruit as its miles from football hotbeds, they have done very well

1 hour ago, vinnyweknuts said:

Barrow’s squad aren’t even based in the county and it must be tough to recruit as its miles from football hotbeds, they have done very well

Junction 19 of the M62 was probably their best long term signing 

2 hours ago, vinnyweknuts said:

Barrow's historically Lancashire anyway, me Cumberland chum.

2 hours ago, Wilder Bollox said:

Junction 19 of the M62 was probably their best long term signing 

Why did you have to mention J19 before I go to bed, been fighting the police state for 3 months over my so called speeding fine and now going on a how to drive on a Smart Motorway Course Saturday afternoon well at least town are away.

1 minute ago, dj funky said:

Why did you have to mention J19 before I go to bed, been fighting the police state for 3 months over my so called speeding fine and now going on a how to drive on a Smart Motorway Course Saturday afternoon well at least town are away.

You're lucky you're no longer based in Yorkshire, my speed awareness appearance was based upon the ability of a RADAR signal to bend around obstacles to reach me 200 metres away (yes, West Yorkshire Police are very kindly massaging the figures to make it look like they're doing a grand job and when you try to get justice they tell you to f off)

• Like 1

Last time I was caught put my hand up because I was speeding but this time was told after coming out of birch services J19 the 4 red signs said 50 speed limits were in force and believe it or not I was in bags of time for the game, Mrs Funky was with me and watches my driving and agrees the signs were not Flashing, despite 4 letters of which two did not get a reply, 6 telephone call and 2 to highways England nobody would give me proof of what was showing before J20, now told by them accept or see you at the magistrates court in a very threatening letter so I know what you mean. Says in the Mail today it can take 17 mins sometimes before a car breaks down on a smart motorway before they see it , the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

4 hours ago, vinnyweknuts said:

Helps that they train in Manchester, you'd feel hard done by if you were a local playing for them though having to make that journey for training

11 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

Barrow's historically Lancashire anyway, me Cumberland chum.

Correct. My Grandad's was a Barrowvian, specifically Walney Island and my Grandma would tease him about being from Lancashire. 

I still haven't given up hope until it's mathematically impossible but seeing Barrow go up would be the next best thing and they are the 2nd result I look for after our own. 

But all the niceities go out of the window come Good Friday. I will hate them!! 

Skipping straight to the end of the thread cos it seems the record got stuck 3 pages in... 

Anyone remember how our bad run was characterised by an unsettled and lopsided defence, when all of our strongest 4 of JBW, Browny, Clarke and Duckworth were missing at various times? Since then only Jeff King has proved adept at filling in in the left back role. Correct me if Danny Williams has also been alright too, but Jeff King stands out as having been pretty handy in this phase. Duckworth meanwhile has been consistently good to very good all season and his loss is surely felt whilst he recovers from his shoulder injury.

Its not just the back 4 itself but how that then affects the balance of the 11 on the pitch and each player's understanding and confidence in where everyone's supposed to be and what they're supposed to be doing. Only seen the highlights, but it looked like Torquay dominated and deserved to win and did so in a manner worryingly similar to how teams did during our bad run of form. 

Thoughts on this from someone who got a better glimpse of the action?

Jeff King right, Danny Williams left seems to work in the 5 . Duckworth not featured much in the right wing back slot if at all, same goes for JBW in the left wing back slot and I think last Saturday would be Hansons only real appearance in that formation

12 hours ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Correct. My Grandad's was a Barrowvian, specifically Walney Island and my Grandma would tease him about being from Lancashire. 

I still haven't given up hope until it's mathematically impossible but seeing Barrow go up would be the next best thing and they are the 2nd result I look for after our own. 

But all the niceities go out of the window come Good Friday. I will hate them!! 

Provided it's not at our expense, I'd be very pleased to see Barra in the Football League. To me it would beat Wimbledon and Aldershot's resurrections easy, and probably even Accrington Stanley's.

Few sides come back after a generation away, especially when that previous generation drops off. Worth thinking about. But our Furness friends had the makings of a club that would yo-yo with the Conference North at best, up until this season.

I still maintain it's a great away day to have around, because the wider area is unique, including Walney. I'll recommend you places next time.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Pliny Harris said:

Barra 

Its Barrow.

Your not 12 being funny or witty changing names of teams like this. Although I suppose its better than you making **** up about people. 

• Haha 1

The use of the word "Barra" to replace "Barrow" is considered to be part of the Barrovian dialect, according to Wikipedia, therefore Pliny is being correct in using the colloquial equivalent.

The list below contains common words and daily greetings in Standard English (in bold) and their Barrovian equivalent (in italics), and examples of use in a sentence or phrase (in parentheses).[4]

• I - a (a went out last night)
  • Anything - aught/owt
  • Barrow - Barra
  • Clothes - clobber
  • Drunk - ratted, off your head (off yer’ead), recked
  • Going on a trip or walk - going on a bod
  • Hello - iya
  • Him/Her - im/er
  • Here you go - eer yare
  • How are you - Ow are ya (owar-y)/ (y')oriʔe/oreeʔ
  • Later - after
  • Me - us (leave us alone)
  • Moody - mardy

8 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

The use of the word "Barra" to replace "Barrow" is considered to be part of the Barrovian dialect, according to Wikipedia, therefore Pliny is being correct in using the colloquial equivalent.

Nah, its his attempt at humour, which was funny for about 30 seconds when he first did it about 10 years ago. 

Like calling Harrogate Arrogant, or Boreham Wood Boring/Morning Wood etc...

He's a tiresome bore. 

Edited by Flea
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Flea said:

Nah, its his attempt at humour, which was funny for about 30 seconds when he first did it about 10 years ago. 

He's a tiresome bore. 

Not yet had time to read the whole backlog of forum topics, so I was unaware of his previous attempts at humour, although some of them do seem quite amusing, such as 'Arrogant and Boringham Wood. We all need something to lighten the day, as it would appear the rest of the world is going to hell in a handcart....if I don't die from some virus, the petrol fumes will get me or worst of all I will probably melt this summer when we have the next heatwave and temperatures in Calderdale hit 40+ degrees C. That will make playing rugby fun, talk about 4 yards and a cloud of dust:D  

7 hours ago, Flea said:

He's a tiresome bore. 

Watch out! Havant and Waterlooville could be coming up from the National South! Oh, and Dorking Wanderers. The fun will never end start! :D

8 hours ago, ITMAN said:

The list below contains common words and daily greetings in Standard English (in bold) and their Barrovian equivalent (in italics), and examples of use in a sentence or phrase (in parentheses).[4]

• I - a (a went out last night)
  • Anything - aught/owt
  • Barrow - Barra
  • Clothes - clobber
  • Drunk - ratted, off your head (off yer’ead), recked
  • Going on a trip or walk - going on a bod
  • Hello - iya
  • Him/Her - im/er
  • Here you go - eer yare
  • How are you - Ow are ya (owar-y)/ (y')oriʔe/oreeʔ
  • Later - after
  • Me - us (leave us alone)
  • Moody - mardy

I love how some of the above are apparently 'Barrovian' dialect. Yeah, them and about half of the entire population north of Birmingham...strange.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, greg45 said:

I love how some of the above are apparently 'Barrovian' dialect. Yeah, them and about half of the entire population north of Birmingham...strange.

I thought some were very Halifax and also Yorkshire Dales in slight tone variations . But people from Barrow are half Irish half who's your father so it's a stolen language up there

42 minutes ago, greg45 said:

Quite true - in fact unless you actually here someone from Cumbria speak you would not know the difference as they do use very similar slang as we in West Yorks do. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Quite true - in fact unless you actually here someone from Cumbria speak you would not know the difference as they do use very similar slang as we in West Yorks do. 

Until you get past Barrow and they have that slight Geordie twang. But i agree the Barrow accent isn't too far off from our own. 

3 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

Until you get past Barrow and they have that slight Geordie twang. But i agree the Barrow accent isn't too far off from our own. 

I always thought if you got passed Barrow you was in the sea so language would just be glug glug.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pliny Harris said:

Provided it's not at our expense, I'd be very pleased to see Barra in the Football League. To me it would beat Wimbledon and Aldershot's resurrections easy, and probably even Accrington Stanley's.

Few sides come back after a generation away, especially when that previous generation drops off. Worth thinking about. But our Furness friends had the makings of a club that would yo-yo with the Conference North at best, up until this season.

I still maintain it's a great away day to have around, because the wider area is unique, including Walney. I'll recommend you places next time.

Walney, Piel Island, Furness Abbey, Carnforth, Grange-Over-Sands and Ulverston  (birthplace of Stan Laurel and home to the museum) all makes it a pleasant journeyou up there. 

My grandad was from Walney so went many times and he met my gran on the train home after world war 2 when she was a TB nursemail in Carnforth. 

There's a lot of my family history up that way so that's why I take an interest in their progress. 

I just don't recommend a trip to that south lakes zoo. You might not leave alive due to their safety record. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

I always thought if you got passed Barrow you was in the sea so language would just be glug glug.

You'd reach walney after a hop over the jubilee bridge. 

A interesting facts is that Vickerstown on walney is the inspiration for the island of Soda where Thomas the Tank Engine lives! 

11 minutes ago, Icke's Lizard said:

You'd reach walney after a hop over the jubilee bridge. 

A interesting facts is that Vickerstown on walney is the inspiration for the island of Soda where Thomas the Tank Engine lives! 

Jesus Icke I´m that old T the T is way after my time, never seen it.

• Like 2