Jump to content
Papa Lazarou

Torquay on Saturday

Recommended Posts

45 minutes ago, Flea said:

I won't go into the ins and outs of what exactly was said, however prior to the match I did speak to PW for a good ten mins or so - and part of what we talked about was the team line up. 

What I will say is that there was a very good reason why TSS started this game, PW explained his rational behind it, his game plan and the theory he was working with, and logically it made sense and was sound. At the same time, he highlighted an area of concern he had with Torquay and what his plan to combat that was. 

During the game an incident happened which reflected this concern he mentioned and he subsequently changed tactics to combat it. 

We then went and conceded a goal when a foul was committed in the build up and the luck fell to Torquay in the rebound falling to one of their players. This then changed the complexity of the game as Torquay went into bleeding the clock for the rest of the game. 

From yesterday, I came away thinking PW knew exactly what he wanted from his side, had a game plan and had things in place to make it happen. He had flagged a potential problem from Torquay and had actually managed to successfully nullify it. Considering he only had 16 fit players to choose from (and two of those are keepers), along with the plan he had in place the starting line up was actually grounded in very good logic and reason. 

It however failed to get us the win. What I can say however is that from having spoken with him and knowing what the game plan was, it was a very justified decision to do what he did with the team, it showed he had put a lot of thought and idea into it and was trying to get the most out of the squad he had.

We will lose games occasionally. That is a part of life. TSS isn't going to bang in 20 goals for us, however last month he WAS the difference between the two sides and factoring in the set out game plan, the weather, the pitch, the amount of players available and the run in, the team selection was actually very well thought out. 

Yesterday was PW's 55th game as a manager. Give the guy a break. 

I just wish others would have the balls to speak to the manager and ask him his reasons, he seems happy to share them with the fans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

I just wish others would have the balls to speak to the manager and ask him his reasons, he seems happy to share them with the fans 

I'll second this. Spoke to him for a uni assignment earlier in the season and he was incredibly open with me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Papa Lazarou said:

I just wish others would have the balls to speak to the manager and ask him his reasons, he seems happy to share them with the fans 

Id happily speak to the manager anytime but no matter what he told me i know 100% that our team is stronger with allen or redshaw alongside rodney instead of tobi... just like i expect to see tobi back on the bench against eastleigh. Totally different scenarios but liverpool have some great strikers then they have Origi, i doubt they would start Origi over any of the others unless they were injured/suspended as they play their strongest team to their strengths rather than focus on the opposition 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bazza45 said:

Whilst conveniently forgetting that we gained 22 points from the first 9 games with Tobi playing.  We then went on a bad run which we turned around when the formation was changed, along with the arrival of Rodney

It was changed after Stockport and we went on a good run that took us to 3rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I will agree with the manager about 100% was the referee. I have emailed the national league with my observations. They wont respond or do anything but it gets it off my chest.

Screenshot_20200223-191416_Gmail.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, halifaxmark said:

Id happily speak to the manager anytime but no matter what he told me i know 100% that our team is stronger with allen or redshaw alongside rodney instead of tobi... just like i expect to see tobi back on the bench against eastleigh. Totally different scenarios but liverpool have some great strikers then they have Origi, i doubt they would start Origi over any of the others unless they were injured/suspended as they play their strongest team to their strengths rather than focus on the opposition 

It may give you an insight into why certain decisions are made, I except every decision the manager makes is in his eye for the good of the team and that particular game, even if you don't agree it's always good to find out why. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Wilder Bollox said:

You should have learnt by now that Wild isn't going to put a team out that will play with swagger and take the game to the opposition for 90 minutes

Well sometimes you have to. Why not play to our strengths instead of trying to counter the opponents. Just carry on doing what we’ve been doing best Instead of changing it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

Well sometimes you have to. Why not play to our strengths instead of trying to counter the opponents. Just carry on doing what we’ve been doing best Instead of changing it. 

Were you at the Halesowen game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bill Atkins said:

Were you at the Halesowen game

The Halesowen game was a game most fans and the club itself did not feel too bothered about. It is the league that matters, trying to get out of the tin pot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

The Halesowen game was a game most fans and the club itself did not feel too bothered about. It is the league that matters, trying to get out of the tin pot.

If Sho Silva is so bad why didn't he start against Halesowen when we were trying to lose then?! 

We lost Vs Torquay on purpose on your logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kay Shay-ra Shay-Ra said:

If Sho Silva is so bad why didn't he start against Halesowen when we were trying to lose then?! 

We lost Vs Torquay on purpose on your logic.

A rather confusing post, have you had a good weekend on the Raz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bill Atkins said:

Were you at the Halesowen game

Nope. A game most fans weren’t bothered about. Took the Mrs out for a meal instead as thought TSS would be starting :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Kay Shay-ra Shay-Ra said:

If Sho Silva is so bad why didn't he start against Halesowen when we were trying to lose then?! 

We lost Vs Torquay on purpose on your logic.

Eh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TJAshton said:

Well sometimes you have to. Why not play to our strengths instead of trying to counter the opponents. Just carry on doing what we’ve been doing best Instead of changing it. 

We always try to counter the opposition, that's what Wild perceives to be his managerial strength and that's what he'll carry on doing . We've never played with dominance under Wild or Fullarton, that's their way . Some people must be watching different games to what the majority of us are, watching Halifax is never much fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wilder Bollox said:

We always try to counter the opposition, that's what Wild perceives to be his managerial strength and that's what he'll carry on doing . We've never played with dominance under Wild or Fullarton, that's their way . Some people must be watching different games to what the majority of us are, watching Halifax is never much fun

Well since the Stockport game I’ve enjoyed watching us. That’s with the same team, same tactics etc we didn’t change anything to counter the opposition as nothing needed changing so that’s a load of tosh. Why he changed it yesterday I don’t know.

All this going for a battle up top and needing a physical presence etc is tripe as well as TSS never wants a battle, doesn’t liked to be roughed up and he looks scared of the ball. 
 

Yesterday it wasn’t just his fault obviously as there were 10 other team members on That pitch but it certainly doesn’t help. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TJAshton said:

Well since the Stockport game I’ve enjoyed watching us. That’s with the same team, same tactics etc we didn’t change anything to counter the opposition as nothing needed changing so that’s a load of tosh. Why he changed it yesterday I don’t know.

All this going for a battle up top and needing a physical presence etc is tripe as well as TSS never wants a battle, doesn’t liked to be roughed up and he looks scared of the ball. 
 

Yesterday it wasn’t just his fault obviously as there were 10 other team members on That pitch but it certainly doesn’t help. 

A good result really does polish the beer goggles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what any of us fans think, the manager makes the team selection based on what he has seen at training, available players, tactics he wants to employ, opposition and pitch conditions. He will continue to be employed or sacked on the basis of these decisions by the board (unless he walks of course). If the board think that the managers decisions are going to cost the club the chance of promotion then it is down to them to act.

It is unlikely given the number of managers the club has gone through in the last four seasons that they will pay off another manager. Had JF not walked then he would have probably been given until Christmas to show he could take this club forward and based upon what happened overall last season we can all hazard a guess where the club would be in the league.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Juryeff said:

I'm joining this late as we concentrated on drowning our sorrows after the game yesterday. We were not unlucky in the game. Defended stoutly against the wind in the 1st half and did well to go in at 0-0 but we offered nothing going forward.

2nd half the wind seemed to die down a bit but, where we should have got on top, we got dominated again in midfield. Cameron King is very good on the ball but offers nothing without it and Staunton and Cooper needed a bit more from him. Not surprised he got hooked. Redshaw did a lot better on the ball but still didn't help the other 2.

TSS did nothing to warrant his selection or a 90 min stint. No strength at all and seemed to be afraid of kicking the ball when he did get it. Maybe he has brittle bones in his feet. Brown went up for the last 5 and won more headers then tss had all game.

For me it has to be Rodney, Redshaw and Allen next week.

I went to the game too and I think the above is a fair assessment of the game. I also thought Cooper was not at his best today and played too many wayward passes. 

In fairness, Torquay for all their possession didn't really threaten our goal and didn't look like scoring until a free kick was given by a poor, biased ref in a dangerous area.

The amount of play acting and time wasting by Torquay in the last 15 minutes was the worst I've seen for a long time and a decent ref would have sorted it out.

Anyway, hopefully a blip and kick on again next week!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could accuse Cooper of always been wayward with his long passing, always sideways and backwards with his short passing and always slowing the game down too much . We could find faults with every player, that's probably why they're in this league

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apart from perhaps those that have scouted the opposition and seen training all week

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...