Sign in to follow this  
andrich

Harry Gregg

A top player, legend & hero. If a modern player had to drag people out of a plane wreck they would have to consult their agent first.

1 minute ago, Roy Race said:

A top player, legend & hero. If a modern player had to drag people out of a plane wreck they would have to consult their agent first.

Got to give Kasper Schmeichel his due, he was straight in there when that helicopter crashed at Leicester. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, andrich said:

..has died. I seem to remember him having some involvement with the Shaymen many years ago although it’s not mentioned in his obituary on the BBC website. Perhaps goalkeeping coach. Am I right or is my memory playing tricks?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30383827

Not sure if Harry Gregg was linked with the Town managers job back in 60s/70s.

apologies if I’m way off the mark.

50 minutes ago, thetalktrainer said:

Not sure if Harry Gregg was linked with the Town managers job back in 60s/70s.

apologies if I’m way off the mark.

Dodged a bullet there as well then.

• Like 2

when I was a kid my dad introduced me to him after a Town game at Shrewsbury(?). I was too young to know of the Munich air crash .. so I really as a 10 year old did not appreciate the greatness of the man 

Little known story about Man United was that 2 of the survivors John Byrne and Jacky Blanchflower who were never able to player again were actually evicted from their MU houses they lived in within two years of the crash, MU compassionate to the end.

Wikipedia puts to bed an urban myth from the 90s about former Leeds goalkeeper John Lukic being the last Munich survivor still playing...

'...an urban legend states that Lukic's mother survived the Munich air disaster while pregnant with him; this is untrue, as the crash happened in February 1958, more than two years before Lukic was born. There was a Mrs Lukić on board the plane, who did survive (along with her young daughter) after being saved by Manchester United goalkeeper Harry Gregg.'

Harry was still a hero all the same! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Che Bentos said:

Wikipedia puts to bed an urban myth from the 90s about former Leeds goalkeeper John Lukic being the last Munich survivor still playing...

'...an urban legend states that Lukic's mother survived the Munich air disaster while pregnant with him; this is untrue, as the crash happened in February 1958, more than two years before Lukic was born. There was a Mrs Lukić on board the plane, who did survive (along with her young daughter) after being saved by Manchester United goalkeeper Harry Gregg.'

Harry was still a hero all the same! 

I've never heard this urban myth before. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1