Fair warning! All off-topic posts will be moved to off-topic section once we have confirmed dates for play-offs. ×
Sign in to follow this  
Erik Everhard

The Pitch

Following on from the question raised in the Harrogate v Yeovil topic around Harrogate not being allowed to have a 3G pitch in EFL Division 2, I got to thinking about what the implications are for ground sharing in the EFL. It would appear that ground sharing with a Rugby club is allowed but with the following caveats:

13.4.1 the playing of any of the Club’s first team matches will always take precedence over the activities of the other party to the agreement;

13.4.2 the Club shall have the ability to postpone other activities scheduled to take place on the pitch in the immediately preceding 48 hour period here in the opinion of the Club, acting reasonably, there is a risk that such activity may result in the subsequent postponement or abandonment of a match to be played under the auspices of The League; 

So, who is the "primary" tenant at the Shay, and if we were to be promoted to the EFL would Halifax RLFC agree to the restrictions this would place on them in terms of control of when they can and cannot play home games?

I know most people would say "who cares" but contractually who is in the driving seat in terms of the Shay?

2 minutes ago, ITMAN said:

Following on from the question raised in the Harrogate v Yeovil topic around Harrogate not being allowed to have a 3G pitch in EFL Division 2, I got to thinking about what the implications are for ground sharing in the EFL. It would appear that ground sharing with a Rugby club is allowed but with the following caveats:

13.4.1 the playing of any of the Club’s first team matches will always take precedence over the activities of the other party to the agreement;

13.4.2 the Club shall have the ability to postpone other activities scheduled to take place on the pitch in the immediately preceding 48 hour period here in the opinion of the Club, acting reasonably, there is a risk that such activity may result in the subsequent postponement or abandonment of a match to be played under the auspices of The League; 

So, who is the "primary" tenant at the Shay, and if we were to be promoted to the EFL would Halifax RLFC agree to the restrictions this would place on them in terms of control of when they can and cannot play home games?

I know most people would say "who cares" but contractually who is in the driving seat in terms of the Shay?

Well, first and foremost the two clubs have been getting much better over the last few years and there seems to be a reasonably good relationship between the two clubs.

You would think that with Town being the longest tennant, ok it's technically two clubs but it's still the same fans and board etc, there would be a slight lean towards Town but it's never come across that way.

In the past there does seem to have been a tendancy, by the council, to let the rugby club get away with certain things, the rent being paid late being one issue.

But, overall it seems to be an even share and both clubs ar supposedly treat the same. So either that in mind agreements would have to be made between the two clubs. The rugby club did rearrange some of the fixtures a few seasons ago so that remedial work could be carried out on the pitch. So I don't think there's be any problems if and when certain fixtures needed to be moved.

That's my understanding anyway.

30 minutes ago, choppiebinkie said:

Seems work for huddersfield

spent loads on the pitch in recent years; believe it's a desso pitch there.

2 hours ago, chadders said:

spent loads on the pitch in recent years; believe it's a desso pitch there.

Is desso an enhanced grass pitch?

41 minutes ago, chrisbo61 said:

Is desso an enhanced grass pitch?

Yes natural grass with thousands of artificial fibres injected through it.

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 6:34 PM, chadders said:

Rugby at home next Sunday as well. When I worked at the Shay the rugby tried to avoid playing the day after a Town game but that ; for whatever reason; is not happening 

It could be although I personally don't understand why, some supporters watch both football and the silly game. If they are both in the same weekend it gets a bit expensive. Obviously more will attend the silly game because Halifax is a Rugby Town. 2026 watched the Bromley game, how many where at the Fat Lads v Sheffield the day after can't  find the attendance anywhere? 

14 minutes ago, born to moan said:

It could be although I personally don't understand why, some supporters watch both football and the silly game. If they are both in the same weekend it gets a bit expensive. Obviously more will attend the silly game because Halifax is a Rugby Town. 2026 watched the Bromley game, how many where at the Fat Lads v Sheffield the day after can't  find the attendance anywhere? 

Rumoured to be between 1300- 1500.

• Like 1

I worked with a lad that worked for McAlpine on the new Leeds road Huddersfield stadium, the pitch was one of the first jobs to be done, before any of the stand building 

8 minutes ago, pen21 said:

I worked with a lad that worked for McAlpine on the new Leeds road Huddersfield stadium, the pitch was one of the first jobs to be done, before any of the stand building 

That could just be a matter of project management. If you need to get big pieces of kit into a space to lay the pitch then it is easier to do this before the stands get built or possibly it was done in this way to give the pitch time to bed in and for the grass to grow and bond into a first class playing surface while the stands get built around it. 

On 2/10/2020 at 11:03 PM, ITMAN said:

Id say with the wording it won't really cause any of the rugby games to be cancelled will it? Its rare for our games not to be on a Sunday.

On 2/10/2020 at 11:12 PM, Erik Everhard said:

But, overall it seems to be an even share and both clubs ar supposedly treat the same. So either that in mind agreements would have to be made between the two clubs. The rugby club did rearrange some of the fixtures a few seasons ago so that remedial work could be carried out on the pitch. So I don't think there's be any problems if and when certain fixtures needed to be moved.

Our fixtures are planned every season so maintanance work can be carried out on the pitch. Last season 5 games on the bounce away from home, the season before it were 1 home game in a spell of over 2 months, the year before it were 4 away games on the bounce. This season the pitch will get a rest from the 14th June through to the 24th July.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Greg Florimos Boots said:

Id say with the wording it won't really cause any of the rugby games to be cancelled will it? Its rare for our games not to be on a Sunday.

Our fixtures are planned every season so maintanance work can be carried out on the pitch. Last season 5 games on the bounce away from home, the season before it were 1 home game in a spell of over 2 months, the year before it were 4 away games on the bounce. This season the pitch will get a rest from the 14th June through to the 24th July.

wow, 5 whole weeks you're too kind ;) Even Premiership pitches that aren't duel use get a minimum of 8 weeks; the Shay landlords barely get chance to do basic maintenance in 5 weeks.

• Like 2

If our game is off sat and rugby play then the pitch will be knackered for rest of season for football it’s that simple , not sure what the answer is tbh 

18 minutes ago, crowtherjcbravo said:

Quite a few rugby matches called off last weekend. Let's see if sense prevails.

due more to spectator safety rather than pitch condition imo.

Let’s just be clear, however much of a pointless minority sport rugby league is, if the pitch isn’t playable for football on Saturday but is playable for rugby on Sunday then the rugby will go ahead.

The referee will make the call in each case - given rugby is mostly played by those who were too thick, uncoordinated or fat to play football at school then it’s a sport that can be played in most conditions and on most surfaces. 

If a football club called a game off when the pitch was deemed playable they’d be charged with failing to fulfil a fixture. As long as the eggy flops are sharing with us it’ll always be the same problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chadders said:

wow, 5 whole weeks you're too kind ;) Even Premiership pitches that aren't duel use get a minimum of 8 weeks; the Shay landlords barely get chance to do basic maintenance in 5 weeks.

It's the kind of response I expected to be fair. How many weeks do other dual use pitches get where there are cross over seasons?

Winter rugby would not be a viable fit with the football season but it is a worry that summer rugby starts at the worst part of winter . My feeling always was that the two should not be integrated on one playing surface

Town should be given priority, given where we are in the leauge. We bring more revenue out of the 2 clubs, we have a bigger following and rugby leuage is a dying sport. We will be in football league next season and we dont need those egg chuckers getting in the way of that. Do we now? Move out for god sake, and go play at Jerusalem farm !!!

3 hours ago, Greg Florimos Boots said:

It needs to be longer.