Nick

Today’s Game Town v Halesowen FA Trophy

Yeltz fan here in peace.

Met a good number of your fans today, all good people and clearly good football folk, however reading some of the comments on here shows huge similarities to Bradford Park Avenue, Gateshead and Maidenhead. Whilst perhaps the management haven't - the players and supporters have certainly underestimated us. Many of our players are more than comfortable player at a level or two higher than they are and our manager is a talented manager who leaves no stone unturned in researching our opponents and coaching his team to a plan. We knew we had to ride the storm of the first 20 minutes (as your manager told us in the podcast that you would come out firing first 20mins) then, if we held tight we could frustrate you. Our part time lads may not be as good as your full timers, they may not have the same levels of fitness but they're a close knit bunch who have huge confidence in our manager and coaching team. With respect, whatever side you put out, and irrespective of what injuries you have you should be doing more to test our keeper than you did.

Some of the comments on here about our team shows how lightly some of you took us, referring to us as **** if I'm honest is laughable, especially after your team couldn't manage a shot on target to trouble our keeper. Thank you to those who acknowledged we deserved our victory though and to the people who work for your club who are a credit to you. Best of luck for the rest of the season. #uptheyeltz

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RobYeltz said:

Some of the comments on here about our team shows how lightly some of you took us, referring to us as **** if I'm honest is laughable, especially after your team couldn't manage a shot on target to trouble our keeper. Thank you to those who acknowledged we deserved our victory though and to the people who work for your club who are a credit to you. 

Halesowen did deserve the win, as we were worse than awful today. 

I don't think however Halesowen were very good - we were just worse. 

It was a very poor game of football with very little skill or entertainment on offer. Congratulations to Halesowen, they deserved it, however I won't pretend they played like Brazil and blew us away. It was simply two awful sides slugging it out and they won the game of "least crap side on show"

• Like 1

Cooper has done well in the past month, however today showed us the Cooper we had seen between Oct-Dec. Horrific passing, the hollywood balls were too predictable, too slow and easily dealt with"

I thought we missed a real opportunity to see what Staunts and nolon can do together as part of the new formation. We need to retain the ball like the last 25 of last week, far too many misplaced passes and Hail Mary cross field passes that the opposition queue up to intercept and then break on us .

15 minutes ago, Flea said:

Halesowen did deserve the win, as we were worse than awful today. 

I don't think however Halesowen were very good - we were just worse. 

It was a very poor game of football with very little skill or entertainment on offer. Congratulations to Halesowen, they deserved it, however I won't pretend they played like Brazil and blew us away. It was simply two awful sides slugging it out and they won the game of "least crap side on show"

No you're right it was never a classic but perhaps that's because we paid due diligence to watch your side and came up with a strategy to stop you playing. 

4 minutes ago, RobYeltz said:

No you're right it was never a classic but perhaps that's because we paid due diligence to watch your side and came up with a strategy to stop you playing. 

Apologies if already mentioned Rob but why are your club nicknamed the Yeltz?

15 minutes ago, RobYeltz said:

It didn't take much to stop us playing today, our key players of Cam King and Allen looked a shadow of themselves and Redshaw gave up after 10 minutes . Clarke was pretty much on his own in central defence, Cooper was far too slow and Staunton looked lost . Jeff King and Danny Williams were the only players to come out of that with any credit . The fact that your goalkeeper didn't have a save to make sums up our day, we probably wasted/mis placed 20 or more good goalscoring opportunities and that's simply not good enough . The only good thing is that we are out of my least favourite competition and we are safe from relegation for another season .

1 hour ago, RobYeltz said:

Yeltz fan here in peace.

Met a good number of your fans today, all good people and clearly good football folk, however reading some of the comments on here shows huge similarities to Bradford Park Avenue, Gateshead and Maidenhead. Whilst perhaps the management haven't - the players and supporters have certainly underestimated us. Many of our players are more than comfortable player at a level or two higher than they are and our manager is a talented manager who leaves no stone unturned in researching our opponents and coaching his team to a plan. We knew we had to ride the storm of the first 20 minutes (as your manager told us in the podcast that you would come out firing first 20mins) then, if we held tight we could frustrate you. Our part time lads may not be as good as your full timers, they may not have the same levels of fitness but they're a close knit bunch who have huge confidence in our manager and coaching team. With respect, whatever side you put out, and irrespective of what injuries you have you should be doing more to test our keeper than you did.

Some of the comments on here about our team shows how lightly some of you took us, referring to us as **** if I'm honest is laughable, especially after your team couldn't manage a shot on target to trouble our keeper. Thank you to those who acknowledged we deserved our victory though and to the people who work for your club who are a credit to you. Best of luck for the rest of the season. #uptheyeltz

Rob, I can only say I agree with most of what you say. It was discussed before the game that for a side to go unbeaten since September and only concede 14 goals indicated that we were playing a side, who knew how to defend and who would be full of confidence.

Town did come out of the traps quickly and for the first 15 mins I thought it was only a matter of time before we managed a goal. However, as the half dragged on and nothing was forthcoming, we fell into the trap of knocking long balls up, which were never going to be won as your defenders were taller than our forwards, instead of keeping it on the deck. 

This continued in the second half until eventually, Halifax ran out of any ideas on how to penetrate your defensive line up. It was obvious from the stands that a number of the Yeltz players were suffering with cramp etc but Halifax did not step on the gas when this more than likely would have paid dividends. For the last few weeks the fans have been purring about the Halifax strike force and how their direct attacking style was upsetting opponents. Today, all of that went out of the window. I lost count of the times Clarke brought the ball out of defence and there was not a Halifax shirt within 30-40 yards of him, end result lump it up the field.

With some of the other contenders for the National League going out of the Trophy today I think your possible passage to Wembley may have become slightly easier today. I hope you get a good draw in the next round and you go on to enjoy further success in the competition, as well as achieving promotion in the league. It was good to see some passion at the Shay today and you obviously all came with the right attitude to enjoy the day and it was rightly the correct result.

On a positive note, Bromley dropped points, so we are no worse off from a league position, plus Barrow have now lost 2 games on the bounce. As has been rightly said, we have now avoided the onerous long journey's for midweek games on the South Coast, giving more time for injuries to heal and players to rest between games, as well as other rearranged games if we had progressed further.

So, we have to put this game behind us, regroup and get behind the team and hope we can get back to winning ways next week. Onwards and upwards......

Edited by ITMAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shay said:

This is the problem with over achieving. It makes the unrealistic on here ever more so 

Better to scrape along in 18th just so as to not raise expectations.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Erik Everhard said:

Apologies if already mentioned Rob but why are your club nicknamed the Yeltz?

There are a good number of stories as to why we're called The Yeltz, the truth is though nobody really knows. I'll give you three stories that are often told;

For some time the most accepted explanation had been that a Yeltz is simply someone from Halesowen. Halesowen used to be Hales Owen, before that Halas Owen, and even earlier than that Halas. The Black Country accent sometimes turns H into Y as in "on me yed, son", so Halas could become Yalas which is reasonably close to Yeltz.

The other story I tell is after the war when Halesowen were playing in the Birmingham works league and had a Hungarian player called Pungus Catfich. He was said to have very limited broken English and when he wanted the ball he would shout 'Yeltz' instead of yes.

Another story is the James Grove button factory that was located next to our ground (The Grove) used to export a button to America known as a Yelts button, however the pronunciation of it was more a 'z' than a 's' sound and over time the 'z' took over. 

As I say though, there are a number of stories but nobody really knows!

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Shay said:

This is the problem with over achieving. It makes the unrealistic on here ever more so 

We are not over achieving it’s so ****ing annoying when people say that.

I’d understand if it was a billy heath type team with little quality and just work horses but it’s not we have arguably one of the best strike partnerships in the league, one of the best creative midfielders in the league (on his day) and a very good back line. This team has quality and it should be in the play offs and if it wasn’t for that bad run of 1 win in 12 and added 2/3 more wins onto that we would have been in an even better position. 

Furthermore to your comment on over achieving we just lost to a poor side with little quality who wanted it a bit more than us. They weren’t good and they’re 4 or 5 leagues below us ffs. Yesterday was a bad result but we move on to more important games! 

6 minutes ago, RobYeltz said:

There are a good number of stories as to why we're called The Yeltz, the truth is though nobody really knows. I'll give you three stories that are often told;

For some time the most accepted explanation had been that a Yeltz is simply someone from Halesowen. Halesowen used to be Hales Owen, before that Halas Owen, and even earlier than that Halas. The Black Country accent sometimes turns H into Y as in "on me yed, son", so Halas could become Yalas which is reasonably close to Yeltz.

The other story I tell is after the war when Halesowen were playing in the Birmingham works league and had a Hungarian player called Pungus Catfich. He was said to have very limited broken English and when he wanted the ball he would shout 'Yeltz' instead of yes.

Another story is the James Grove button factory that was located next to our ground (The Grove) used to export a button to America known as a Yelts button, however the pronunciation of it was more a 'z' than a 's' sound and over time the 'z' took over. 

All 3 are very stupid reasons to be called the “Yeltz” :lol:

6 hours ago, Shay said:

Surely it's only right to be concerned after losing to a team three leagues below us given that we want to be in the Football League in three months time?

Edited by Lewis

14 minutes ago, Lewis said:

Surely it's only right to be concerned after losing to a team three leagues below us given that we want to be in the Football League in three months time?

No concern whatsoever as the squad would be strengthened considerably if we were starting in Division 2 next season.

7 hours ago, Shay said:

Your obsession with us over achieving is staggering. We are in the top 3 on merit. Who knows if Wild hadn, t been so stubborn in his team selection & refusing to change things. We may even be top... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Papa Lazarou said:

King has been doing ok at wing back until suspension. So I think he will take the shirt next week. 

King won't play every match between now and the season end (whenever that is) though!

19 minutes ago, Shaymen Stats said:

King won't play every match between now and the season end (whenever that is) though!

Mr Stats man that´s not a stat that´s an assumption.:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Shaytrev said:

No concern whatsoever as the squad would be strengthened considerably if we were starting in Division 2 next season.

I meant more in the season of if we have the ability to get promoted or not. 

Edited by Lewis

12 hours ago, born to moan said:

Well what a debacle, lacklustre performance. Rugby League parasites have had one game plus I'm  guessing training sessions on pitch its knackered. Then with rain forecast for next 2 days it gets watered at half time why. The groundsman is as overrated as the Manager. We've got a Manager who only moves away from his mate to moan at the 4th official who hasn't made a decision. It baffles me why managers moan at 4th officials. Wild I'm sorry I know we are 3rd in league will take us nowhere. Why doesn't he put the effort of moaning at 4th officials into motivating his team. I've parted with £12 of my old age pension today to watch that shi$e. 

Give it a rest. Dont see you moaning when we were winning our games. 3rd will take us to the playoff semis. Wild is the best manager weve had in a while. Plus when he asks for the pitch to be watered due to it not suiting our playing style you have to do what he says.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaymen Stats said:

He's just gone an whole game without a single booking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobYeltz said:

Clear as mud! Thanks anyway and good luck in the next round. Thanks also for the applause in the 25th minute. A nice touch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Guido said:

How the F can you comment about overachieving when we have lost to a team 4 or 5 levels below us :doh:

Easily. It was a cup upset. We had two of our biggest players out. It happens. 

We still sit 3rd in the league!