28th Jan 1969 - Stoke's Terry Conroy Reflects

A magical night despite the defeat. Getting a 1-1 draw down a Stoke was a magnificent achievement. We were the better side down at the Victoria ground, and were unlucky not to have won it. Back at the Shay replay,  Terry Conroy was the difference. He was a classy striker Back in his day. 25,000 packed into the Shay, and the then speedway track had to be used for extra viewing with only a rope separating the fans from the pitch. In my humble opinion, Drawing away at Stoke ranks only behind beating Man U in the Watney Cup, and Man City in the FA Cup.

Superb memories.

Edited by thetalktrainer
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, thetalktrainer said:

A magical night despite the defeat. Getting a 1-1 draw down a Stoke was a magnificent achievement. We were the better side down at the Victoria ground, and were unlucky not to have won it. Back at the Shay replay,  Terry Conroy was the difference. He was a classy striker Back in his day. 25,000 packed into the Shay, and the then speedway track had to be used for extra viewing with only a rope separating the fans from the pitch. In my humble opinion, Drawing away at Stoke ranks only behind beating Man U in the Watney Cup, and Man City in the FA Cup.

Superb memories.

Spot on comment, stoke away draw an amazing result with the legend Gordon banks in goal for stoke and an incredible away support that day, probably only surpassed by the turnout at Wembley

A magic day

Going purely from memory, I recall Stoke scored at theirs in the 83rd minute and we scored shortly after. Massie had a chance one on one but pulled up as he thought he was offside, he wasn’t. Massie told me years later that on the day of the replay Ball had them running up and down hills all day and that they were knackered before kick off!

6 hours ago, kmssteve said:

Spot on comment, stoke away draw an amazing result with the legend Gordon banks in goal for stoke and an incredible away support that day, probably only surpassed by the turnout at Wembley

A magic day

What about Whitby 

Les Massie sticking his tongue out at the greatest goalkeeper ever was magical when he scored. And then standing on the speedway track at the replay, magical memories. I dont think it really mattered that we lost 3 - 0, we took them to a replay and that was brilliant. Another great memory was when Birmingham came to the Shay in the FA Cup, beat us 4 - 2, but Trevor Hockey was one of my heros at that time so I wasn't bothered.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Les Massie sticking his tongue out at the greatest goalkeeper ever was magical when he scored. And then standing on the speedway track at the replay, magical memories. I dont think it really mattered that we lost 3 - 0, we took them to a replay and that was brilliant. Another great memory was when Birmingham came to the Shay in the FA Cup, beat us 4 - 2, but Trevor Hockey was one of my heros at that time so I wasn't bothered.

And everybody heard their CF Pickering call leave it Pick, except the ref, to our CB Pickering for him to score towards the north stand.

58 minutes ago, archietaylor7 said:

Les Massie sticking his tongue out at the greatest goalkeeper ever was magical when he scored. 

That was because Gordon Banks should have been sent off earlier, when he went up for a high cross, missed the ball and punched Massie in the face. Ref waved play on. A penalty against an outfield player in goal could likely have won us the first game. Never really forgave Banks for that! No sub goalies in those days.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:03 AM, Roy Race said:

Alan Ball's period as manager was one of our most successful with some of the most anti football ever played at the Shay. Just shows on & off field success don't necessarily go hand in hand with entertainment. I liked all the 1-0 wins :D

True, the historic good results don't show how dour some of the games were.

However, the team were magnicent at Stoke.  The old guys like Ian Lawlor giving absolutely 100% and bringing all the old magic to their ageing limbs.

Then along come George Kirby and gave us some brilliantly watchable games.

• Thanks 1