Sign in to follow this  
Riders of Rohan

Just one disappointment today.

That I didn’t join the lunch celebration of the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup win. I hope those that did thoroughly enjoyed the day. I had hoped to be able to see them on the pitch but..

I was looking forward to seeing the players from that day but I think the way they were presented to the crowd was shambolic. I have to admit I was struggling to recognise my erstwhile heroes, I took a few photos but I still don’t properly know who is who.

Does anyone have a team photo from today so that, despite their new identities, the feeble minded like me might be able to place names against them?

14 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

That I didn’t join the lunch celebration of the 40th anniversary of the FA Cup win. I hope those that did thoroughly enjoyed the day. I had hoped to be able to see them on the pitch but..

I was looking forward to seeing the players from that day but I think the way they were presented to the crowd was shambolic. I have to admit I was struggling to recognise my erstwhile heroes, I took a few photos but I still don’t properly know who is who.

Does anyone have a team photo from today so that, despite their new identities, the feeble minded like me might be able to place names against them?

You missed a great day and well done to Johnny Meynell and all the people involved ,the players were great and to complete the day got photo taken with Paul Hendrie and my mates, 

• Like 2

Just now, eddie said:

You missed a great day and well done to Johnny Meynell and all the people involved ,the players were great and to complete the day got photo taken with Paul Hendrie and my mates, 

Yes but indeed well done for organising it, and I liked the fact that both George Kirby and Mick Kennedy were represented by their family. Also I’m genuinely pleased those on the lunch had a great day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Yes but indeed well done for organising it, and I liked the fact that both George Kirby and Mick Kennedy were represented by their family. Also I’m genuinely pleased those on the lunch had a great day.

When Kit announced the great ones onto the pitch there was a tear or seven in the eyes.

Kevin Johnson who didn’t play on that historic day must be one of the best we have ever seen down the Shay

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColinCanberra said:

Biggest disappointment was I could not make it.  Meeting all the old players and a good performance on the pitch. What a great day that must have been for all who attended. 

I wouldn't get too carried away by todays performance Col. Maidenhead made us look better than we were, 5-2 did flatter us a little. But I will take it & it will be good for confidence.

• Like 1

OK here goes.

From the above pitch photo (thanks WB)

Andy Stafford, Dave Harris, ?, Paul Hendrie, Geoff Hutt, ?, Franny Firth, ?.

Edited by Riders of Rohan
added a ?

10 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

OK here goes.

From the above pitch photo (thanks WB)

Andy Stafford, Dave Harris, ?, Paul Hendrie, Geoff Hutt, ?, Franny Firth, ?.

Franny Firth sadly passed away a short while since.

1 hour ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Don't often agree with you. Today you are totally right. 

Would it have better to announce them  coming out of the tunnel one by one? 

No disrespect to Johnny who did a amazing job getting these players together. 

22 minutes ago, Shaymen1984 said:

Only 36 years to wait until you'll be sat in the dining suite of the New Skircoat Hotel holding back tears as Shaymen Stats ushers in Kingsley James on his hoverboard with a replica of the FA Trophy and a hologram of topless Helli.

Now that IS something to look forward to.

• Like 1

Apologies for the pitch presentation; they were supposed to come on one at a time, but 3 o'clock arrived too early.

It's Andy Stafford, Dave Harris, Vernon Allatt, Paul Hendrie, Geoff Hutt, Malcolm Goodman, Dave Evans and Andy Whiteley.

Kevin Johnson, John Kilner, John Smith and Tommy Graham are around somewhere as well.

Edited by kit
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Guido said:

Get a quality central Midfielder signed along side CK and we will fly 

Personally I’d just bring back Earing everyone keeps saying there’s a player there, give him a chance and would be an ideal replacement if CK needs to come off or gets a Knock.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

Personally I’d just bring back Earing everyone keeps saying there’s a player there, give him a chance and would be an ideal replacement if CK needs to come off or gets a Knock.

Agree

58 minutes ago, LeedsShaymen said:

He's not ready, needs to go straight back out on loan as he's not getting minutes at Spennymoor which probably tells its own story.

1 hour ago, greygoose said:

He's not ready, needs to go straight back out on loan as he's not getting minutes at Spennymoor which probably tells its own story.

He played 90 min yesterday, final day of loan so they have option to extend.

13 hours ago, kit said:

Apologies for the pitch presentation; they were supposed to come on one at a time, but 3 o'clock arrived too early.

It's Andy Stafford, Dave Harris, Vernon Allatt, Paul Hendrie, Geoff Hutt, Malcolm Goodman, Dave Evans and Andy Whiteley.

Kevin Johnson, John Kilner, John Smith and Tommy Graham are around somewhere as well.

Thanks Kit. These things happen.

I though he looked like Vernon Allatt but thought he wasn’t with us at that time, Goodman I would never have got and I originally guessed at Dave Evans but then decided he doesn’t look tall enough to be a centre back.

Is it too early to book the 50th Anniversary, and how many of us will still be bobbing about?

13 minutes ago, Steve Lanzarote said:

He played 90 min yesterday, final day of loan so they have option to extend.

Are you sure Steve? Was on the bench and never came on

Got to say I only recognised Hendrie, Kilner and Evans when they came through reception. Would love to have attended as it looked a superb and well organised event. Well done to Shaymus and Kit and to all who played a part in organising it all.

19 minutes ago, Riders of Rohan said:

Thanks Kit. These things happen.

I though he looked like Vernon Allatt but thought he wasn’t with us at that time, Goodman I would never have got and I originally guessed at Dave Evans but then decided he doesn’t look tall enough to be a centre back.

Is it too early to book the 50th Anniversary, and how many of us will still be bobbing about?

The lads enjoyed it so much they want to come up for a game next season, so hopefully you won't have to wait another ten years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1